Sign in to follow this  
Dreadfullz

Are Devs Going to be Improving their Current Engine for Arma 3?

I was wondering if the devs are going to improve their engine in later patches. Such as if they will change how a wall will fall down when hit by a car or something else, how you jump, how you enter a car (actually having to open the door), switch weapons faster instead of having to stop to change your weapons (able to switch weapons while moving), other than that I think everything else is great.

BIS has a reputation of adding major changes in patches. Fingers crossed.

I love the game so far so I hope they prolong my excitement for the game. Can't wait til they optimize the game much better especially MP.

I love the game so far so I hope they prolong my excitement for the game. Can't wait til they optimize the game much better especially MP.

You're going to be waiting a while. If you compare ArmA 2 release to Operation Arrowhead 1.62, you'll see how large the differences are in "optimization" (if you want to use that word).

so you want better detail/more improvements, and better performance? If it were only that easy...

Chances are we will see some improvements over time; but most won't be major overhauls like Operation Arrowhead was. I'll just be happy if they can keep up with the dev tracker lol

I think a direct answer would be yes. They've added a lot so far, and seeing as how we're at the 2/3rd mark of development (Alpha, Beta, Full) there's definitely more to come. Recently they added 3d animated sights (instead of the hole in a box sights), Back in 2011 we heard about a disguise system, which is probably on its way. There's also the rain, which they're re-working as far as I know.

As to what you asked specifically about,

For optimization, we can expect improvement, but the time frame is a bit sketchy from what I've seen. For the vehicles, I know they've added a lot of animations to the game, however the doors of most vehicles don't open. Right now it's just helicopter doors. The walls falling differently sounds like a physics thing you're talking about, I can't speak on that though

Change weapons while walking yes.

Building destruction or more immersive vehicles unfortunately not very likely.

You're going to be waiting a while. If you compare ArmA 2 release to Operation Arrowhead 1.62, you'll see how large the differences are in "optimization" (if you want to use that word).
But do not forget that a lot of nice features from ArmA II 1.09 were broken or even removed in OA 1.50 and still are.

ArmA II still is the better game with the more authentic feel and atmossphere despite all the enhancements of OA that were bought with breaking A2 Content.

the devs said, that they try to include deferred shading. probably not till launch, but possibly with a patch later on.

deferred shading could be considered a major engine improvement. it is not unrealistic to expect truly dynamic shadows with it etc.