Sign in to follow this  
Chomps

Support for over twelve units

I am guessing that groups were capped off at twelve units so in the case that the player leads the group, there is enough space for all the icons on the bottom, and so that each member matches with one of the 'F' keys. Also, so there are only twelve recorded pieces for units saying the number of the unit.

What I am asking is if there is a chance in the future that there will be a patch for OFP that will allow support for unlimited, or an expanded limit for units in completely AI-controlled groups.

There could be safeguards like not allowing a player or playable unit to exist in a group with more than twelve units in the editor. If a player join to a over-twelve unit group with a script or waypoint, well I do not know.

Are there group limits throughout the code that would make this impossible to do without a complete reworking of everything, or would it be possible?

i would like it if u could command officers who have there own squads where u could give an aicsquad normal orders and the officer will control the seperate troops.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ July 28 2002,03:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i would like it if u could command officers who have there own squads where u could give an aicsquad normal orders and the officer will control the seperate troops.<span id='postcolor'>

I think you can do something similar with enough scripting. Check over at OFPEC, they may have something you are looking for.

Well, yes through scripting you could do this. But think about. you command 11 guys. They command 11 guys each. that means 11 groups of 12 equals 132 people. Plus you its 133. That's a lot of units. And you would have to use them in close proimity because you really can't command in real time if you can see the action. 133 people running around very close will cause major FPS drops and lag.

It can be done, but would it be worth it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ July 28 2002,03:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It can be done, but would it be worth it?<span id='postcolor'>

Well, this is not exactly the original point of the thread, but to defend his idea, just because there is this capability does not mean you must have eleven groups of twelve. You can easily have three groups of six, attacking a target from three sides. Secondly, your commands would be more general, like "move to this town" and so can easily be done with the map. The specific instructions of the squad will be handled by the AI in charge.

Ya, i get it. I just mean if too many are used it can cause lag. Just a few squads would be okay.

If you want an AI group to have more than 12 men why just not have several groups with the same waypoints?

Because AI on it's own is 25 % less killing to do yourself but also 100% disastrous on the tactical side. If you don't control 100% of the action around you, there's a good chance some AI sucker is gonna end up in your back while your hiding in a bush from an armored unit 75 meters away... NOT GOOD. tounge.gif

I always wanted to play 'Papa Bear'

I can't see the need for groups to be above 12. Have more than one group if you need more people.

If you want an example of where a larger group would be useful, take a convoy transporting troops.

If all the drivers, and all the troops are in the same group, they will:

- Be able to respond to an ambush better, as if any driver sees a hostile, all the troops know about him too.

- Automatically take control of any truck whose driver has been killed.

- Redistribute troops amongst transport vehicles if any become inoperable.

- Allow for whatever length of convoy is wanted (More than one group in the same line has a lot of problems moving smoothly.)

heh the comand thing under at your screen cant get wider i think tounge.gif

The command thing at the bottom of your screen wouldn't need to get bigger.

The F1 key doesnt do anything so you could control 12 not 11 easy, Is there an easy way of selecting a team? like yellow team or green team instead of using the radio 9,1-5.I like Harnus idea of having sub teams so you control up to 11 teams, but not every individual troop. Maybe make it so at the bottom you see e.g, 5 men (for 5 teams, you can have up to 12 teams in all), but with a different colour and number, then through the radio you choose wich colour team and then it shows every man in that team at the bottom and order each round as usual, or make it so you just choose the number of the team, and make them move or target like normal, but the team leader has control how he does it.

Actually you don't really need to scripted it either

You can do it in the editor with group command

I have done this for mp missions.

Pick how many squads you want.

Then make all the group leaders playable.

The group all the squad leaders Say blue for example

Then assign them to a group leader who can have his own squad of ai also or you can make all the people playable.

But like someone said FPS goes to crap when every one is together

Capt morgan. Can explain that again? I'm not really following you. ANd sicne when did I become just a "someone" tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ July 29 2002,02:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Capt morgan.  Can explain that again?  I'm not really following you.  ANd sicne when did I become just a "someone"   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, at least you are not just "anyone". And yes, Capt. Morgan, run that by me again, I'd be interested in getting that working.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ July 28 2002,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">heh the comand thing under at your screen cant get wider i think  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, you, get out of here and finish making that Littlebird!! biggrin.gif

controlling multiple units is especially interesting when you want to do some serious tank fighting. don't see too much use for it in infantry missions.

I'm fiddling with a simple little command engine right now that allows you to control as many groups or units as you want, positioned all over the map.

an invading force of several air, tank + infantry platoons lands at malden's shore and marches on the capital, where you sit in front of your map. from there you command all forces on the island, wherever they are stationed (strategically rather than tactically).

you must now locate the enemy and engage it by drawing your forces together for ambushes, etc., to stop it from taking the city (and you).

the niftiest little thing is the remote camera letting you look at the sub commander you last gave orders to. (so you're not just stupidly staring at an enlarged map, wondering what is going on in the field).

I kinda like the concept.

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sam Samson @ July 28 2002,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">don't see too much use for it in infantry missions.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I for one would like to be able to control an infantry platoon.

It'd be nice if a set of units could have a formation leader not in their own group (using doFollow/commandFollow), but I haven't been able to make that happen. Even if I could, I'd need some scripting to replace the formation leader if he's shot, preferably an icon on the lower display to show him as a squad leader, and a new command to report squad status.

Has anyone ever tried something with waypoint moving, if you select in the waypoint show always the waypoint is displayed on the player map and you can move it, maybe in this way you can control the movements of several groups

Something coming soon! wink.gif To an OFP MOD near you! If you are a mission designer and wish to be involved in a Bleeding Edge OFP Project PM Me.

Regards walker

While an interesting topic, I have a hard time seeing how it is related to Resistance.

Moving to General smile.gif

Well actually if you have played resistance you can see it's done by BIS on the mission after you liberated mordrav(?).

You send one tank to an area and 3 other tanks follow that one and the one youre commanding is in command of the other 3.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well actually if you have played resistance you can see it's done by BIS on the mission after you liberated mordrav(?).

You send one tank to an area and 3 other tanks follow that one and the one youre commanding is in command of the other 3.<span id='postcolor'>

I think we can do better than that biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Regards walker