Sign in to follow this  
weaponsfree

ALPHA Campaign - OPERATION DARDANELLES

@Byku : Thanks! And yeah, the boat AI has been a thorne in my side. BI has been tweaking it recently, I was hoping it would help, but it's an issue I've had since Arma. My previous solution was to place the boats real close to the coast, and use a setvelocity command to literally launch the boats straight onto the beach, but I found it didn't generate the proper feel for the mission start.

Invasion should still be completable with a boat or two not landing properly, and you can restart the mission a few times to get a proper landing of AI boats.

I LOVE THIS CAMPAIGN. However I'm having a problem with three of the missions. I keep getting an error when I try to play mission 2 and mission 3 because it says that a file I previously had has been deleted? Specifically A3_Air_F_HeLi_Light_001. I think the missions may need an update since the latest beta update? Thanks!

Armaholic mirror (also on front page) :

- Operation Dardanelles [bETA] v1.02

I LOVE THIS CAMPAIGN. However I'm having a problem with three of the missions. I keep getting an error when I try to play mission 2 and mission 3 because it says that a file I previously had has been deleted? Specifically A3_Air_F_HeLi_Light_001. I think the missions may need an update since the latest beta update? Thanks!

Hey Jblack. I'll double check, but I have not been getting that error. You sure you have 102 of my campaign and the latest BETA build (not a dev branch)? I had some unit name issues one or two beta updates ago, but I ran a script to replace them all. I ran mission 2 (Invasion!) recently without issue.

But otherwise, I'm glad you enjoed the campaign.

Thanks for the update buddy!

As to the PM i sent ya-this is the one i meant:- This is the one i recommend :cool:

Just finished the Camp and really enjoyed.

When the full release comes out, I hope you come back to this and make it a package with intro/outro stuff.

One thing:

Last mission, really really need scopes for those sniper rifles. I couldn't hit anything.

First mission, could not Switch to the Explosives AI player.

Lastly, I think this is BIS bug, but when player dies, could not revert to ANY earlier saves because player would be on the ground, alive but not moving.

Played this SP, btw.

Thanks for the update buddy!

As to the PM i sent ya-this is the one i meant:- This is the one i recommend :cool:

Got it! I will try to remember adding it to the next release. But no problem if you want to extract the mission and add it to a custom version for your personal use.

Just finished the Camp and really enjoyed.

When the full release comes out, I hope you come back to this and make it a package with intro/outro stuff.

One thing:

Last mission, really really need scopes for those sniper rifles. I couldn't hit anything.

First mission, could not Switch to the Explosives AI player.

Lastly, I think this is BIS bug, but when player dies, could not revert to ANY earlier saves because player would be on the ground, alive but not moving.

Played this SP, btw.

Hey Kommiekat, glad you enjoyed.

Regarding the scopes on the sniper rifles, I had that bug before, but no idea what causes it. I've tried the mission a few times (from the editor and through MP hosting) and I get the scope. Might be SP related, not sure.

Regarding the explosives soldier, yeah I neglected to set him as playable. Switched him to playable in the editor, will be playable for next release.

For that reverting to not moving death. That is strange, I wonder if it's related to the revive script. I don't play much in SP outside of the editor, but I'll check it out.

For intro and outros. I'd like to, but I tend to prefer working on actual mission content. I'm working on a bonus mission for the Stratis campaign, and aim to have it continue onto Altis. That being said, I want to make it as close to a real campaign as I can with my limited time/knowledge. So we shall see!

We have been enjoying this (these) missions, only got onto 2nd at present time. End of 1st found that the boat had been blown up before extraction.

Apart from that it has been fun. Great work.

We have been enjoying this (these) missions, only got onto 2nd at present time. End of 1st found that the boat had been blown up before extraction.

Apart from that it has been fun. Great work.

Thanks jungleNZ2. I know that boat is often destroyed. Can you tell me if the enemy chopper had managed to take off before? Or was it destroyed while on the ground?

In other news, I started the Altis campaign which is a direct continuation of the Stratis one. The first mission is almost done. I'm planing to do episodes (like BIS I guess :)) of 3-4 missions each. I also finished (except for respawns n such) a Bonus mission for the Stratis campaign, but not sure it's actually all that fun, so debating if I will polish it up for release or not.

Feedback and thoughts on the Stratis campaign are still always appreciated! Otherwise hope you'll try out my Altis campaign when it's done.

Hey, tried the first mission, and I like the firefights yet I am powerless against the MRAP or the helo which lifted off after I was apparently wasting time firing at infantry patrols. The reason for this is that the VAS never lets me pack any launcher ammo at all - just the respective launchers. Do you think you could update the campaign with a classic in-briefing weapons selection via description.ext (ArmA 2 style)?

The second mission would be great if the enemy assault on recently captured camp maxwell would be beatable in any respect - but throwing what must be 20+ infantry towards the player is nowhere near enjoyable - I would be glad if this mission would be geared a bit more towards SP play.

The third mission is bloody excellent until I am overwhelmed in taking Air Station Mike 26 - there needs to be a cure against the vehicles - either in form of a conventinal weapons selection, air or artillery support. Enemy numbers toned down a bit would make this a perfect mission too.

In mission number 4 I am tasked to clear and sabotage Camp Rogain. What can I say - I manage to kill off the guards, kill off the reinforcements, at right when I rifle through an ammobox to get some charges a second wave appears and takes me out. Please cut them from the mission, since the rest is already hard enough on SP.

Mission 5 was excellent, but just close to the enemy HQ an old bug from OFP times was haunting me again - my crosshair was not inline with my body and exiting and re-starting the mission did not cure it. :( Damn RV engine! But not your fault.

Misson 6 was an excellent sniper mission requiring a keen eye and patience - very well done.

Verdict

Fine-tune the difficulty towards SP gaming, add overviews and maybe cinematics and then you have a gem of SP gaming experience. This campaign is definitely worth to be updated further.

Edited by Mathias_Eichinger

Hey, tried the first mission, and I like the firefights yet I am powerless against the MRAP or the helo which lifted off after I was apparently wasting time firing at infantry patrols. The reason for this is that the VAS never lets me pack any launcher ammo at all - just the respective launchers. Do you think you could update the campaign with a classic in-briefing weapons selection via description.ext (ArmA 2 style)?

The second mission would be great if the enemy assault on recently captured camp maxwell would be beatable in any respect - but throwing what must be 20+ infantry towards the player is nowhere near enjoyable - I would be glad if this mission would be geared a bit more towards SP play.

The third mission is bloody excellent until I am overwhelmed in taking Air Station Mike 26 - there needs to be a cure against the vehicles - either in form of a conventinal weapons selection, air or artillery support. Enemy numbers toned down a bit would make this a perfect mission too.

In mission number 4 I am tasked to clear and sabotage Camp Rogain. What can I say - I manage to kill off the guards, kill off the reinforcements, at right when I rifle through an ammobox to get some charges a second wave appears and takes me out. Please cut them from the mission, since the rest is already hard enough on SP.

Mission 5 was excellent, but just close to the enemy HQ an old bug from OFP times was haunting me again - my crosshair was not inline with my body and exiting and re-starting the mission did not cure it. :( Damn RV engine! But not your fault.

Misson 6 was an excellent sniper mission requiring a keen eye and patience - very well done.

Verdict

Fine-tune the difficulty towards SP gaming, add overviews and maybe cinematics and then you have a gem of SP gaming experience. This campaign is definitely worth to be updated further.

Thanks for the detailed feedback Mathias. I have yet to get SP feedback for the mission, so it is much appreciated! I have to admit I am not too surprised though, I do have a disclaimer regarding "recommended for coop", but I admit if I am to release it saying SP or Coop, it should be doable solo.

Regarding the in-briefing loadout, I totally agree, but last time I checked it's problematic in A3, but I should check it out in more detail.

More generally, I would tend to prefer some BLUFOR tweaks (arty support, air support, additional friendlies) instead of cutting out enemy waves and reinforcements. Mission 2 and 3 I think are the worst. The BLUFOR assaults burn out without enough of a dent put into the enemy position. Then enemy counter attacks pile on the pain. So I agree a BLUFOR boost would be helpful for those two.

For mission 4, I'm afraid I think it is best as is. The objective, in solo or in coop is to get in and out asap. Preferably without being spotted on your way into the base (being noticed will generate enemy reinforcements before the cache is destroyed). And preferably with the explosive charge already in your kit to avoid wasting time getting the charges set. The ensuing clusterf**k is part of the experience. Escape, hide, ambush, relocate your way to victory. You may be able to tell I'm proud of mission 4 :)

Glad you like mission 5. It's actually pretty random. Sometimes BLUFOR gets all the way in and is very effective at aiding you take out the HQ. Other times you end up all alone.

Mission 6 is intended to be what you got from it. Glad it delivered. It has random starting positions for the target, so you can replay it a few times and still need to pay attention if you like.

If you're still with me, got a some questions if you don't mind :

- Mission 1 end game boat extract you ok?

- Mission 2 boat insertion work ok? All 4 (or at least the one next to you on the main beach)?

Cheers!

No problem:

Mission 1: Cannot say since the MRAP blew me to bits before I advanced very far into the mission

Mission 2: Tried twice. Out of 8 boats (2 x 4) only 1 additional (other than the player) squad dismounted, the rest sat there waiting for better times....