Sign in to follow this  
ZoneTrooper

Huge Performance Boost after new Patch?

Hey guys did you also noticed a HUGE performance boost since the last update on Steam? i started ARMA 3 Yesterday and wait until he dowload the patch,started the game and it runs like shit like all the time.But then later in the evening,i started it again joined a server,and i had like 60-75 FPS 1920 everything on Ultra and 2AA plus AF visibility over 8000 and it runs pretty smothe.And then today i start Arma 3,and got 25-30 FPS again :mad: jesus Christ is seriously dont understand the Mechanic behind this system.I mean i actually have a pretty bad ass mashine,Core i7-860 2800MHZ,8GB-DDR3-1600 MHZ Ram,fastest GTX 680 with 4 GB Video Ram and one day it runs smothe like hell,and the next day it runs like the biggest crap you have ever seen how this can be? i guess it has something to do with the servers on that you are Playing in Multiplayer.Because when i play in the Editor or a Skirmish missionen,i dont have these EXTREM Performance issues,in the Editor i even can put the visibility on 12000 and in runs with 37-50 FPS when i fly in a chopper.But when i join on a server,i get a HUGE performance lose of nearly 60 Percent.I think that the server settings have something to do with these performance issues,so if the server has a visibility of 4000 you only can look so far like the server it on this parameter,so if you have 12000 you still only see 4000 but he still consumes the full power of 12000 and on some servers,it doesnt even matter if you change your grafik settings,because you still have the same FPS like you would play with Maximum settings.

Is it possible that a dev can say something about it?

Mate, with such cpu i wouldn't go over 3k visibility for decent framerate. I've got I5 3570k OC to 4,1 and I'm running at 3k visibility. Remember visibility = cpu! I'm starting to think that all those topics about framerates are from people who think that it should all work flawlessly on 12k visibility.... i think it would work better if they would limit the visibility in Arma to 3k at best... i suppose that suddenly all the topics about fps issues would disappear(it's sarcasm, don't do this devs!)

testing performance in mp, isn't correct at all. Because its depending on server hoster. Some have 60fps with 50 ppl on it, some have 20fps with just 30 people or less. You should test performance on helicopters showcase mission at least.

testing performance in mp, isn't correct at all. Because its depending on server hoster. Some have 60fps with 50 ppl on it, some have 20fps with just 30 people or less. You should test performance on helicopters showcase mission at least.

Exactly, using Mp to test performance differences between patches etc is a really bad idea. Make your own simple benchmark test missions in the editor and then once you have seen how they run, try out MP.

I'm starting to think that all those topics about framerates are from people who think that it should all work flawlessly on 12k visibility.... i think it would work better if they would limit the visibility in Arma to 3k at best... i suppose that suddenly all the topics about fps issues would disappear(it's sarcasm, don't do this devs!)

^this. there surely are other problems with arma like inconsistant FPS and such but i think a lot of people don't realize that the view distance slider was always just like an experimental thing to see how far you can push it. it's not equal to other "ultra" settings if you put viewdistance all the way up.

i think BI need to make the part of the slider, where it gets experimental, red or add a tool tip that a pc with recommended specs should be set at x distance and everything above is just there to be able to adjust how ever you want for certain missions.

More important than Viewdistance is Drawdistance

I'm sure most with decent GPU will crank everything to MAX because they can in BF3 and then moan cos it don't have good fps.

There is some optimization to be done but graphics settings still need to be chosen with care.

Also a simple rule: DO NOT JUDGE FPS IN MULTIPLAYER

Edited by EDcase

That and auto deleting dead bodies after X amount of time would help....

Thats called 'Garbage collection' and depends on the mission maker to set.

Exactly, using Mp to test performance differences between patches etc is a really bad idea. Make your own simple benchmark test missions in the editor and then once you have seen how they run, try out MP.

Like i allready say before i have constant 40-70 FPs plus on Editor Missions or on Skirmish Fly Missions even with 12000 Visibility and overall settings too.Like i say in singleplayer i can play it with 12000K on Multiplayer on some servers to,but on some servers i even have to drop down the visibility to nearly 1000 -..-

Thats called 'Garbage collection' and depends on the mission maker to set.

exactly.... if it's a performance hit (for most players seems to be) should be done by default.

...Like i say in singleplayer i can play it with 12000K on Multiplayer on some servers to,but on some servers i even have to drop down the visibility to nearly 1000 -..-
12000k... Ok

You can't adjust your view distance in multiplayer with video settings sliders. Missions can have their own sliders or scripts to increase it but not in your video settings options.

If mission is AI heavy it eats your CPU and your GPU usage goes down because of that which makes bad performance.

Like i allready say before i have constant 40-70 FPs plus on Editor Missions or on Skirmish Fly Missions even with 12000 Visibility and overall settings too.Like i say in singleplayer i can play it with 12000K on Multiplayer on some servers to,but on some servers i even have to drop down the visibility to nearly 1000 -..-

Viewdistance is a serverside setting.

as we told before, it depends on the server. Just find another one, if the one you on is lagging. Simple :)