Sign in to follow this  
bigshot

Has AI Skill Been Addressed Yet, or even mentioned by devs?

...just asking since I've been away for awhile. Has Bohemia reconfigured the AI skill level issue (ya know, the one where we all turn down the skill to .2 because the AI is crazy hard?).

...and how about adding the 2 sliders into the UI (1 for general skill and 1 for precision aim)...have they added this yet, or have they even mentioned it?

Thanks guys for any info on it.

No news yet and I agree it REALLY needs fixing.

Hopefully they're busy under the hood...

Just little fixes here and there but nothing major. They still do stupid things like go prone before anything else or, after the inclusion of snipers, walk around with pistols. Would make sense on a CQB environment... Making "logic maps" (I learned that on the textures thread) for open fields vs urban where the AI slighty change it's behavior is a no-go\too hard\worthless ?

For me they generally react quite well (hiding etc) but are WAY too accurate and spot through folliage.

Their fire is more accurate standing than I am prone.

It has a lot to do with settings and missions set them so its very hard to really know whats going on with the AI.

Here's a statement by Jay on the topic of AI precision.

Indeed, Luca meant just what he said: getting 'shot at'. That means he's trying to create a set of standards (across different classes of weapons) for how accurate the AI can/should/will be. It's certainly not easy, nor will the results be perfect, but it's a long-overdue and worthwhile endeavour, evidenced by hiring developers dedicated to this role.

The point is not that one can 'absorb' any more fire to the cranium, but that the enemy - while trying to blow your head off - are perhaps a little less likely to do so in one or two shots (this goes back to what we've been talking about for a while: 'problems' with AI tied to un/under-configured base classes, rather than an innate in/over-ability).

Also, I think it would be inaccurate to suggest that anyone here is trying to attract a 'console' shooter crowd. Arma 3 might well appeal to those 'moving on' from that style of gameplay, but it surely doesn't seek to encroach upon it. :)

Best,

RiE

Thanks PurePassion, I hadn't seen that.

I hope it also deals with AI vision through folliage.

I certainly appreciate that AI is probably the toughest challenge for the dev team

Setting them to vary between .02 and .20 seems to me to be the most "fun". Certainly your results will vary, but I find this varying degree makes some of them fire into the ground as they "forget" to raise their weapon to shoot... but over all the combat is more entertaining for me, I'm generally not one shot killed as I fire my first shot, and I appreciate the extended combat more.

I use easy , med and hard setting under params

if (paramsArray select 7 == 0) then {

_setskill_inf= [0.01,0.08];

};

if (paramsArray select 7 == 1) then {

_setskill_inf= [0.08,0.20];

};

if (paramsArray select 7 == 2) then {

_setskill_inf= [0.20,0.80];

};

Edited by MassAsster

Is it the AI that is such a straight shot? or is it the extreme interpretation of recoil that handicapped us? might be a bit of both I think the problem is that the AI aiming doesn't reflect/match up with the skill of player controlled entities, i wonder if an exhausted enemy has the same effect on aiming as it's human enemy. It could be in the factor of detection vs simulated aiming time. I'm really curious how this will unfold in upcoming builds.

Is it the AI that is such a straight shot?

yeah, at 500m or so, you fire one round and find yourself instantly killed by the AI, you can call that "godly"..

As lovely as this is ... WHY does it need a new thread when we already have one about overpowered AI ?

Because one is about AI precision and knows about (OP; which this is turning into) and the other is about general AI behavior. Or should be.

IMO first shot from AI should be with more dispersion that then gets better as the AI fires more shots.Is that how they behave in game right now...anyone know?Also,they need a large dispersion penalty when they are fired upon.

No, there is no reason to discuss the faults of the AI anymore, it's already been done to death.

I created this thread simply to find out (after having lost track of what's been happening around here) if Bohemia has yet turned down the precision on the AI and if they have yet added (or mentioned anything about adding....) a Precision Slider in the difficulty options of their in-game menu.

These are 2 things myself and my Arma buddies have felt was way overdue so I'm eagerly awaiting any word on this.

Thanks everyone, but didn't mean to have this turn into a full blown discussion. My question has been answered (although its not the answer I had hoped for).