Sign in to follow this  
Magirot

Flares provide only minimal illumination after 0.58?

After 0.58 was released, our night scenario MP mission became pretty confusing, since flares seem to be weirdly bugged after the lighting tweaks of that version. The flare provides hardly any lighting, most of it when it's very near the ground and about to burn out anyway. Here's a comparison screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/vfYOxKe.jpg

I thought it would be a very common problem and didn't bother to make a feedback ticket. The fact that it's still around in 0.60 and I can't find a ticket suggests that this wasn't very smart of me. However, it got me wondering if anyone else even has this problem? Or is it somehow very dependent on the circumstances? I know everyone in our MP group had the same problem during the session, at least.

Or is it actually intentional? Flares would seem pretty much useless in that case.

whats it like closer to the ground?

also if its not a bug and goes in the feddback tracker, they normally lock it pretty quick anyway

whats it like closer to the ground?

Like this: http://i.imgur.com/ud3Kpzy.jpg (half a second before it burned out)

There's some light, but it's not very useful, especially compared to what it was before 0.58.

how does it look under NVG's?

either way that dosn't seem right, it may be something left over from the dynamic lighting changes

I know there's been a lot of work done in the lighting & lights, and aside from the possibility that further work is yet to be done, I might guess that several config values will need updating as a result. Most likely the flare config hasn't been tweaked yet.

Flares at Alpha release were pretty nice.

No more. Matter of tweaking.

These are signal flares though, not illumination ones. :(

Probably now we need some that actually intend to illuminate.

These are signal flares though, not illumination ones. :(

Oh. Well, that would make sense.

Though with the lack of illumination, you won't notice them unless you're looking in the direction where they are. Shouldn't there still be some feedback lighting that would make you turn your head? :|

Yes, I would also think that signal flares should be visible at night from the air, like from a chopper. So no need to tone those down