Sign in to follow this  
armachao999

Is the muzzle flash too visible?

I completely agree with you ED, although I wonder what the wavelength sensitivity of CCDs and CMOS sensors are. I doubt they are the same as the human eye.

You are right. Stock ccd sensors react to IR and UV spectrum. Normally filters are used to improve visual quality (especially IR has very different refraction index, which would result in unsharp images), but usually some amount of IR and UV makes it to the sensor, which could explain a stronger appearance of muzzle flash in video.

I've never fired a real gun, but from my experience as a cameraman, i would think, the difference in appearance of flash in video compared to the naked eye, would be subtle, but noticeable.

But as Edcase pointed out there are other factors, that could have even more impact on the rendering of flashes on video. Especially Flash/Shutter Sync, and limited Dynamik Range.

Edited by twistking

I'll return to my last point made in my first post. Regardless of the real experience of muzzle flash to the human eye (an interesting topic in its own right), I think it needs to be included in a combat game simply for its immersive impact. There are a whole range of compromises that have to be made in this game in order to make it work as a "real" experience, despite the medium of a PC monitor. HUDs are a good example. So my vote is for muzzle flash that's a half way point between the real and the filmic.

Question: Every shot creates a muzzle flash IRL?

In my experience, no, not really. Like all physics, whether or not you see a flash is based on a lot of variables. In daylight, you certainly don't usually see the "star" flashes that you see in this game all the time. When I pistol shoot or skeet shoot, I only see a very small flame, if anything. It's usually smoke. Remember that this isn't a pyrotechnic explosion, it's just small combustion.

I'll return to my last point made in my first post. Regardless of the real experience of muzzle flash to the human eye (an interesting topic in its own right), I think it needs to be included in a combat game simply for its immersive impact. There are a whole range of compromises that have to be made in this game in order to make it work as a "real" experience, despite the medium of a PC monitor. HUDs are a good example. So my vote is for muzzle flash that's a half way point between the real and the filmic.

imersion is something that makes the experince feel real.

what you mean, is to create a movie like experince

Yes it's way too much muzzle flash... MX rifles feature Smith Vortex style FLASH HIDERS, you know those devices that actually HIDE the muzzle FLASH, even during nighttime! ;)

I think muzzle flashes look good, I'd say keep it as it is.

I think muzzle flashes look good, I'd say keep it as it is.

There are already enough very unrealistic games based on Michael Bay physics... muzzle flashes virtually don't exist anymore irl (except with brakes/comps), this should not be another CoD ripoff where annoying fantasy muzzle flashes obscure your view...

There are already enough very unrealistic games based on Michael Bay physics... muzzle flashes virtually don't exist anymore irl (except with brakes/comps), this should not be another CoD ripoff where annoying fantasy muzzle flashes obscure your view...

thats kinda wrong as well, its still present on any weapon with a large enough diameter that the nitrogen supressent can't saturate the entire area until the gasses cool enough (so tanks cannons and artillery.

it isn't common in small arms since the released gasses are compratively little

Realistic or not, it looks cool. :)

Hello there

Personally, I would like the flashes turned down a little. In daylight they are somewhat distracting for the shooter.

If they stay as is, no problem but I find them OP.

rgds

LoK

Muzzle flash visibility depends on a lot of things.

- ammo

- barrel length

- muzzle attachments

- caliber

- daylight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoR6Etbl1XY

VZ-58 with different flash suppressors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplxrf9sN34

Consider that the muzzle flashes are not always visible at each shot because of the low fps recording of the camera. Also due to video compression and rendering a lot of those flashes will vanish.

Do the guns in A3 have any flash suppressors? If not, I think the current muzzle flashes represent "reality". In daylight they could be maybe trimmed down a little.

Edited by Curry

Do the guns in A3 have any flash suppressors? If not, I think the current muzzle flashes represent "reality". In daylight they could be maybe trimmed down a little.
If the old 2011 picture of "weapon customization" that included a flash suppressor is still indicative of what content will be coming along this year, then yes, it would simply be that there was supposed to be a Flash Suppressor attachment but that it's not in the alpha so none of the weapons benefit from its effect.