Sign in to follow this  
massasster

Whats the deal with bad players?

I've had some great spontaneous co-op games where I've just opened my server up or game up and started hosting, but, after that whole server hack thing I'm honestly having a hard time getting that pick up game going again. I've also really gotten into the DEV versions, the lighting is amazing and graphically it's superior to the current release.

Most of the time people join, try to blow everything up in your base and team kill whoever they can. or you get that random player who just wonders around confused, doesn't type or speak, goes off in the wrong direction and then quits on their first death. Just really disappointing to come across these players over and over.

So my question is, What happened to all the decent players?

First thing that comes to mind is that the whole "mass hack" incident probably spooked a lot of players into sticking to private servers with known communities.

Ok, I will give you that. But why are the players that are left the ones who join a game and say to them self "you know what? I think I'm going to be a douche and try to destroy as much crap at the base as I can..."

how is that even fun??

Few things. First off, being an Alpha means the playerbase is significantly lower than it should be at launch. Second, the dev builds are SIGNIFICANTLY lower population of the already LOW Alpha population, because people like to think this is fun time. They don't contribute to the active day-by-day changes that the developers are making. If you just want to play the game and not test for bugs etc, then I suggest you toggle to the stable builds as that's where 90% of the population resides. Third off, most of the serious players are in their clan/group's teamspeak and own personal server playing with other serious members. They don't just join random pubs.

Hope this answers your question fully.

I've had some great spontaneous co-op games where I've just opened my server up or game up and started hosting, but, after that whole server hack thing I'm honestly having a hard time getting that pick up game going again. I've also really gotten into the DEV versions, the lighting is amazing and graphically it's superior to the current release.

Most of the time people join, try to blow everything up in your base and team kill whoever they can. or you get that random player who just wonders around confused, doesn't type or speak, goes off in the wrong direction and then quits on their first death. Just really disappointing to come across these players over and over.

So my question is, What happened to all the decent players?

While I can't speak for the douchbaggery taking place; I can say that there are a lot of 'new' players joining the ARMA series for the first time. This game doesn't exactly play like a typical FPS, so confusion is quite high. I know I've learned a great deal once joined up with a squad that communicates and informs the best way to tackle certain missions. It can only get better with practice.

I would complement what -macaskill- said by adding that "a squad that communicates and informs the best way to tackle certain missions" is more likely on the "clan/group" servers.

If you want serious tactical gameplay then I suggest joining an Arma unit or community

The OP is about why the seemingly sudden shift back to what you described occurred after the big "hack epidemic" when the pre-epidemic situation was rather different, Mac, your answer really doesn't add much to this that we weren't already taking as a given. :p

Back when I used to run a warfare server in A2, I ran into the same issues. New players would come in and we'd be trying to help them, but they wouldn't even try to listen or respond to us. We even said stuff like "By the way, press ? to bring up chat if you're trying to reply to us". But no, we'd just see the guys walking from the MHQ all over the map, having absolutely no clue what to do.

When I first played MFCTI in OFP, I was confused as well, but I proceeded to ask if anybody could help me. I didn't just go running around and rage at first death.

There are many reasons why there are such behaviours in ARMA:

Unlike all other fps games, missions in ARMA vary immensely in their goals, play styles and most are not instant action. Many have new menus and extra functions to figure out.

I think the majority of trouble makers are players who have a very short attention span and just crave instant self affirming gratification like most of the other fps games out there.

In fact I think this behaviour is also a reaction to their amazement at the freedom within ARMA and its missions.

Non responsive players are either too shy, plain unsocial or don't speak english. They are easily ignored so not a problem.

I think you've been unlucky because I usually play on public servers and rarely encounter bad behaviour.

It oviously helps a lot to have an active admin.

Edited by EDcase

There are many reasons why there are such behaviours in ARMA:

Unlike all other fps games, missions in ARMA vary immensely in their goals, play styles and most are not instant action. Many have new menus and extra functions to figure out.

I think the majority of trouble makers are players who have a very short attention span and just crave instant self affirming gratification like most of the other fps games out there.

In fact I think this behaviour is also a reaction to their amazement at the freedom within ARMA and its missions.

Non responsive players are either too shy, plain unsocial or don't speak english. They are easily ignored so not a problem.

I think you've been unlucky because I usually play on public servers and rarely encounter bad behaviour.

It oviously helps a lot to have an active admin.

^this, and normally the only problem I see is the chopper noobs who keep trying to fly, even though they cant

Dan;2399957']... the chopper noobs who keep trying to fly' date=' even though they cant[/quote']

LOL yeah, I forgot about them FPDR

If you don't need the choppers it is funny to watch them

Edited by EDcase

The worst part is that unlike Battlefield 3, they don't even have the excuse of not being able to practice helicopters offline. :p

The worst part is that unlike Battlefield 3, they don't even have the excuse of not being able to practice helicopters offline. :p

Indeed lol

And at least in Battlefield 3 they "merely" screw with your team by their incompetence, in Arma 3 they can actually break a co-op mission. :lol: Sure there was that one co-op mission "Fire from the Sky" in BF3, but I don't recall being able to actually crash the chopper in that!

Ok, I will give you that. But why are the players that are left the ones who join a game and say to them self "you know what? I think I'm going to be a douche and try to destroy as much crap at the base as I can..."

how is that even fun??

power fantasies

And at least in Battlefield 3 they "merely" screw with your team by their incompetence, in Arma 3 they can actually break a co-op mission. :lol: Sure there was that one co-op mission "Fire from the Sky" in BF3, but I don't recall being able to actually crash the chopper in that!

Not only that, but if you crash in the editor, no one else is affected, you crash a Chinook full of players because you don't know how to fly, well, you can see the wall of rage coming at you. It probably only will get worse on bigger islands where you have to spend longer in the air to get to some of the objectives (for something like domination). This is why you should always try in the editor (or some clans like my own, we do have a dedicated training center mission, where it doesn't matter how much you crash).

I had a good chuckle thinking in my head about that. *Player Joins...*

Holy shit! Look at all the freedom I have! I GOTTA BLOW SOME SHIT UP AT BASE!

Granted , I get that each mission varies widely and the start / tasks are never exactly the "same", but I just run across much more greifers (either intentional or just "amazed players") than I do any many other games. I have to say, the majority of Co-Op players I have played with have happened to be Europeans, I think the more mature players end up being over the pond from me. That or I'm playing too late in the evening to catch the American crowd.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

Dan;2399957']normally the only problem I see is the chopper noobs who keep trying to fly' date=' even though they cant[/quote']

Oh god, I usually put a dedicated "pilot" role in my missions, and it's like without fail, the first two spots to be taken are these spots... and never by anyone who knows how to fly....

Oh god, I usually put a dedicated "pilot" role in my missions, and it's like without fail, the first two spots to be taken are these spots... and never by anyone who knows how to fly....
Believe me when I say that when I was playing Battlefield 3 it was (sometimes) this bad and just because it was BF3 and not Arma didn't mean that there wouldn't be a "wall of rage" at this... or what some players would do to secure a helicopter or jet slot. :p

Yeah, I usually see domi's with dedi pilot slots, and all 5 slots will be full, despite the fact there is only 7 people on the server....

Also seen it when all the pilot slots are full, but they are all flying attack aircraft leaving everyone else at base, with no lift and needing to get to the other side of the map, and none of the pilots would go transport. Seemingly they hadn't realized you cant clear a domi main without an infantry guy satcheling the tower, and that no matter how much they bombed it, they would never take it because that infantryman would never get there.

Also it annoys me when people don't do a recognition check on their targets, and just go in guns (and bombs) ablazing, soo many casualties could be avoided if air waiting to be called in even checked its targets, its normally the worst on US servers, with Russian servers having the least tking and Europe being somewhere in between.

well i guess mission makers will have to "streamline" their missions more and add some of that "accessibility" people keep talking about. like making everyone invincible at base and adding huge text messages like "...you are a pilot...your job is to....you should be able to fly...". basically make the game retard proof...

or just do it like me and leave the server if there's no one worth playing with instead of enduring the madness ;) when i host small coop missions (very rarely) myself i just insta ban everyone who is just slightly acting like tard. i tried reasoning over chat before. it just doesn't work. thinning out the team until only people are left that want to actually play works best for me. life is too short to ask yourself why people act up in the anonymous place without consequences that the internet is.

I guess I like to have an understanding, part of me hopes that some rational solvable explanation exists, and through reasonable means the number of occurrences can be limited and thus increase the enjoyability of the co-op play..

orrr

I have same problem with bad players when i hosting my maps..i made Britishlion COOP missions map...they blow everything and love flying choppers and shooting us {teamkiller}

They are crazy..never grown up and never learn..

Most time i play myself in my maps..some people enjoyed it..BUT not all people enjoyed it..they like kill each other {Friendy fire}

I think they find bit of boring..

I believe they like play DeathMatch or Capture the flag...

i no this is slightly off topic but not, feel free to join the guys i play with on our ts, (pm for details if interested) and you can come and play with us, we are mainly playing arma 2 atm but do play arma 3

l agree with what the other guys have said, i remember when i first got introduced to arma 2 and started playing it (before anyone throws anything at me) i hadnt played any games on the pc before was mainly a console guy and was truly amazed by the freedom and everything you could do, along with the detail and map sizes.

hackers are annoying esp in dayz and wasteland but the ones ive personally ran into clearly cant play the game that well and dont take being killed to well, its amazing that you can connect to a server and probably start a convo or get onto a vent/teamspeak chat, as EDcase said i think you have been unlucky but having a good team with good communication and active admin on open servers certainly helps

dont give up because of a few numpies

I have not "surrendered" yet - just rather disappointed in the quality of play as of late.