Sign in to follow this  
super-truite

animations and 3ds max

I would like to import animations from 3ds max to arma. I saw this script: http://sandro-de-parma.narod.ru/OFP/ to export .rtm, but I don't know how to install it and the instructions are in russian.

Do someone knows how to install it or do you know another method to use 3ds max to make animations for arma?

Export as 3ds including animations and named properties and when import to Oxygen click the button Import all frames

this will import as keyframes which you can view if you have that window ope , it maybe necessary to autotime 1.0 when in o2 before export to .rtm file

For .3ds workflow, make sure your animation interpolation is set to linear, and not the default ease in/ease out.

Other methods include some motion builder as well, but i am afraid i was never able to get an animation in o2 via mb.

Hello All,

Following your recommandation we manage (with my colleague super-truite ;) ) to import the animation from 3ds and get some keyframes into O2.

The last problem we are facing, is that only the bones are animated but not the skin of the model...

Is somebody know hows to "attach" the bones to the skin (or vice versa ;)), and do we have to do it in 3dS or O2 ?

Or maybe it is not necessary to have the skin to be able use the RTM in game?

thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

SebJ

Skin should be weighted as the Bones are or certainly within acceptable defines.

if your bones are for something custom i dont know , but if you have imported a good animation based on BIS skeleton in 3ds max, then you should first import the aniamtion and save RTM

then open BIS mlod and import the RTM and the model should move correct .

Thanks Thromp.

unfortunately the animation of the bones is not anymore atached to my skin once it is exported from 3ds (when I say bones it is the "structures" from 3ds).

I've tried your solution to save my custom rtm exported from 3ds in o2, and then import it to the BIS model but no result too :(

do you know the solution to only export the skin animation from 3ds, OR the easiest solution to "reattach" the bones to the correct meshes of the skin in o2?

thank you again.

Regards,

SebJ

1. the skin is weighted to the bones. There is no animation to export

2. i would assume you are using custom skin model, since otherwise bis mlod (the one for A2) is already weighted.

To weight the skin follow the previous linked file. Afaik, you cannot export the weighting information directly from O2, but you can from Maya.

thank you a lot Pufu!

If I understand correctly I still have a big work to do!!

rgds,

Sebj

Edited by sebj

so how does this work now?

do i need that old ofp 3ds export or can i just use the arma 3 sample models and export them as 3ds from max? i tried the latter and i get keyframes but no animation since the selections don't get exported properly. i'd really appreciate more info since i need this to finally make some proper anims for my project.

Ok, we now understand that our problem is slightly more complicated. If we make some custom anims with the BIS bones (from the max templates) we manage to export some custom animations in O2.

But what we want to do is define a new skeleton. For concreteness, let's make a line of 4 bones named Bone0, Bone1, Bone2, Bone4 in 3Ds max. Let's make a cylinder and link it to the bones using the modifier "skin".

Then I can record some animations for the cylinder in 3ds max. Then I export in .3ds format. I import in O2 and I get a model for the bones and for the cylinder plus some keyframes but nothing happens when playing them.

If we follow the logic correctly , we should rename some parts of the cylinder so that they match the names of the bone they are attached to. We need also to weight all the parts, but this is I think for later (as it is only to avoid distortions of the model and I would like to see if I am able to animate it first). We need also to make a model.cfg where the skeleton is defined. Here is our first try at it:

class CfgSkeletons
{
class Default
{
	isDiscrete = 1;
	skeletonInherit = "";
	skeletonBones[] = {};
};
class My_cylinder
{
	isDiscrete = 0;
	skeletonInherit = "";
	skeletonBones[] =
	{
		"Bone0","",
		"Bone1","Bone0",
		"Bone2","Bone1",
		"Bone3","Bone2",
		"Bone4","Bone3"
	};

};
};

class CfgModels
{
class Default
{
	sectionsInherit="";
	sections[] = {};
	skeletonName = "";
};
class My_great_cylinder : Default
{
skeletonName = "My_cylinder";
};

};

In the end, the result is that the first frame kind of works (the cylinder moves), but all the other frames are identical...

Any ideas?

PS: If it's not clear, tell me, I'll put some picture and files when I'll have time.

If we make some custom anims with the BIS bones (from the max templates) we manage to export some custom animations in O2.

would you please be so kind and describe how you managed to export an animation from 3ds max into o2 using the arma 3 sample 3ds files. that would be much appreciated!!

Sorry Bad benson, I didn't see you needed that. You won't like my answer I am afraid... For some reason, we didn't manage to export the bones with the right names and when you import in O2, the names are $$$Dummy instead of "spine1" for instance (the names are correctly implemented in 3ds though).

So what my friend did is remake a part of the skeleton he wanted ( a arm) and he named the bones like the one in the BIS skeleton. when he exported it in O2, the names were saved this time and he managed to make some animations for the arm.

I don't understand yet why the Bis skeleton is causing trouble when exported in O2 :(.

A solution would be to recreate from scratch the skeleton (which in the end is not so long), but I guess I just missed a button which would allow to export the names correctly...

Still no ideas about the custom skeleton?

edit: I really like your projects Bad Benson. I hope to see those in game soon!

Edited by super-truite

So what my friend did is remake a part of the skeleton he wanted ( a arm) and he named the bones like the one in the BIS skeleton.

so did he do that in the 3ds import window in o2? where exactly did he rename them?

In the end, the result is that the first frame kind of works (the cylinder moves), but all the other frames are identical...

Any ideas?

are you sure it's really the first frame working and not just the model being posed in the initial position of the animation? that is what i get and what makes more sense to me.

EDIT: you should look into ofpanim. if you are after simple animations it should be enough for you. i never used it so i don't know how bones work there but i think thromp used that for the sealife animations. and they have a simple custom skeleton as far as i know.

here's a link http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=5176&newlang=eng

Edited by Bad Benson

Hello Bad Benson,

to be able to import the good names of the custom skeleton into O2, I've created some 3ds max "bones".

The ones used into the bis model are not created as "bones" but as "dummys", and during the export it is impossible for me to get the good name into O2 (DUMMY$$$$... for each bones).

When you export theses "3ds max bones" as a .3ds file, you'll now be able to import them with the correct names into O2 and with RTM animation too!

Now the question is how do we attach them (or weight them) correctly with the custom model in O2... No idea for the moment.:confused:

"are you sure it's really the first frame working and not just the model being posed in the initial position of the animation? that is what i get and what makes more sense to me."

Yes I confirm you that the model have a deformation on the first frame and it is not simply only the position movement.

PS : thank you for the link

hi to all modders,

I come back with good news ;) but everything is not solved yet...

We managed to create a custom skeletons into 3ds with animation and import it into O2 (ok it wasn't the hard part of the job...)

The good thing is that we manage to attach the custom skeleton on our model and apply the animation on it...

the RTM file is now good for use.

The problem is now with the config.cpp and model.cfg (for the config.cpp there is few example available, but not very clear, for the model.cfg nothing is available when a rtm is used and a custom bone is created...)

we really need some help to figure out what is wrong with our config files! :butbut:

during the PBO compilation we have the following errors :

"Key frame animation, no 'keyframe' property

Warnings in p:\rev1_cylinder\rev1_cylinder.p3d:1

Key frame animation, no 'keyframe' property

Warnings in p:\rev1_cylinder\rev1_cylinder.p3d:10002

Warnings in p:\rev1_cylinder\rev1_cylinder.p3d:geometry

Warnings in p:\rev1_cylinder\rev1_cylinder.p3d:memory

Warnings in p:\rev1_cylinder\rev1_cylinder.p3d:landContact

Warnings in p:\rev1_cylinder\rev1_cylinder.p3d:11000"

and

"No entry 'e:\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\BinMake\Binarize\bin\config.cpp.CfgSkeletons'.

No entry '.OFP2_ManSkeleton'.

No entry '.skeletonInherit'.

'/' is not a value

No entry '.skeletonBones'."

Thanks all in advance

Sebj

In fact it works. It was just a typo in the config. Thank you again guys. We can now work on something else than moving cylinders ;).

If some tools for exporting everything from 3ds (weighting included) appears, we are still interested though.

edit: it would pedagogical to give our config, but so far we just took the rabbit one (from A3) and replaced the anims and 3d models by ours...

Edited by super-truite

The good thing is that we manage to attach the custom skeleton on our model and apply the animation on it...

the RTM file is now good for use.

ok and now please describe how you did it:)

i'm really glad about what you guys have found and shared so far but it would be even more awesome if you could always describe what exactly you did to achieve it. just saying "we did it" without saying how is kind of painful for someone who wants to achieve the same. the thing with the bones is working for me and it's a really awesome find by you guys.

but now please make a guide how to get the weighting working too. i have a lot of projects just waiting for this information. and it will make this thread also very useful for other people trying to achieve the same things later. that's what makes these forums so great. you can find a lot of answers without even asking.

Maybe I can ease your pain by speculating what he meant BBenson

To export a simple animation you simply need a set of bones accurately reflecting the bus model pivots , seeing as there is already a model fully weighted you shouldn't need to do anything but create a skeleton create a keyfrane and export as 3ds or. BvH

You will notice when exporting from max you have an option box and in the animation section it will ask export as Dummy or Bones , you need to select as bones , this will then reflect your naming left foot , left up leg roll etc , this should then allow you to import into O2 save the resulting rtm and load up bis sample model import saved rtm and hey presto

The above is a very basic simple method for hand anims at best , however give it ago because I've never used it for complex anims but it might be adequate for your needs .

Ps inside the male.p3d of arma mlods there is an edit lod , inside the human form is a hidden skeleton made up of purely triangles , this is probably what your max skeleton needs to reflect

I'm no expert but I have dabbled and altho I stuck with ofp anim , I have had success with max bit my temp license ran out

what i need is a method for export everything from max. a new model and a new skeleton so i can make new animals with totally new animations. i have an animation transferring into o2 and that will probably be useful later for human animations after i made a duplicate of the BI skeleton.

what i want to know is very close to what these guys are playing around with though. a fully working pipeline to get totally new creatures with custom skeletons ingame. i know how to weight in o2 but i won't do that since i've been doing that for years and frankly my patience for that crappy tool is used up:p

so if there is a method to get my weighting from max into o2 on a custom model + skeleton, please tell me. i had no luck using the new arma 3 export plugin. maybe i need to play around with it more.

I planned to write a little tutorial, but I won't have time now (probably this week end). As for the weighting export, even google does not now about it! So I guess it does not exist...

ok i had a little break through with human aniamtions.

via some fbx back and forth import and export tricks i managed to convert the arma 3 sample max file into one with actual bones which can be used for animations. i still encountered some weirdness but it looks very promising. i will now try to make an actual animation with it. if this turns out to be useful i will share my files. needs further testing first though.

that's still not what i was asking for here but if it works it will be an upgrade from the old maya tools i used so far.

@Bad Benson

sorry for the delay. I was away last week... I don't know if you found the method to create a custom skeleton...But here is our solution.

In fact it is really simple.

3DSMAX :

Once the custom bones are created into 3ds with and a eventual animation is done (and the 3d model too).

Just take care to place good names for each bone (the easiest to remember is the best :p).

This step will be necessary to weight correctly you model into O2 with the same name than the bones for each parts.

O2:

In o2 just import your 3d model into the LOD 0 (or X), import then all the bones into the memory LOD (it will be useful after to get the same movement into each LOD of your model).

take care to tick each boxes and change the LOD for each parts... (and don't forget to select the animation box too :))

Now we can go to weight our model with the paint tool in O2 shortcut "N" or edit menu... (very boring part of the job...).

Once some vertices are weighted correctly just create a new selection (right clic in selection windows, and "new") and name it with the same name than the bone (IT IS CASE SENSITIVE...).

Now just export the animation file and save it in your favorite mod folder.

then erase all the keyframes and reimport your RTM file.

From now you polygons should move perfectly if you play your keyframes!!

if there is too much distortion just reweight your selections... (very boring again...).

At this time we still have some improvement to find :

how to export directly the weighting from 3ds? (I'm too lazy to do that with O2 :j:).

How to export the good names of the BIS skeleton from 3DS? => it seems to be possible during the export Cf. post of Thromp, but for me there is no option to configure if I export as .3ds file...

I Hope this help,

Thanks in advance for your help too,

Sebj