Sign in to follow this  
sgtvor

Landing a helo vs. jumping

As long as people keep playing team deathmatch on my C&H maps, I'll accomadate them with quickly respawning vehicles. No reason not to, they make great moving target practice. I totally despise the jump and dump method people use with choppers on my maps, but that's the way it has to be. I can get away with little things, like taking out satchels and LAW/RPGs, but as soon as choppers go, some maps are broken. They're the only vehicles that is guaranteed to respawn when used correctly. Jeeps and trucks don't get blown up as often. That's why my newer maps have spawns closer to the action, so it's quite possible to run to the nearest objective from your respawn in case transport isn't handy.

However, I keep my public maps very seperate from my league maps. Play with STA-OFP or War-Games to get a real OFP teamplay experience. Plenty of squads out there are looking for people that can work well with others, communicate, and follow directions.

I spending a lot of time pulling my hair out admining at stoners soley from chopper mishaps, and even made a chopper ettiquette post at Stone-keep.com not to be preventative but to sadly point to when someone has no idea how to be considerate and have just plain common sense. Problem is that the age range and maturity range is staggering on a public server.  I would LOVE to have nothing but fast inserts.. i even tried a couple of tacticians maps that assign pilots at beginning, and explain before we launch "dont fly unless you know what you're doing otherwise you're just screwing you teammates" nobody cares or listens. Tex is right, the only time you may expect that type of team fufillment and actual war like actions is through league play. Its too bad, these impatient a.d.d. sufferers dont know what thier missing.

I ve been on alot of public servers lately and i NEVER seen people who use the choppers right ! Just like you say, jump in it, fly to obj and bail, don t wait on team etc ....

It s better in co ops where you all pull on the same rope.

I m Blackhawk pilot in our squad and it also disturbs me the way MOST people play with the choppers/airunits.

Problem i think on public servers in ctf maps is that alot of teams don t start of with a plan/tactic.  And IF they do, the plan is only followed a few minutes and quickly abandoned for FFA without even communicating on the field.  So it s hard that way to use the chopper right in ctf's if nobody's talking.

I just made a map for our squad where we play only with people we know take it serious and get a kick out of cool situations .... ( just to name on, going in for a strike, getting downed by a shilka, calling for extraction with blackhawk, blackhawk coming in flying NOE, poping smoke grenade and getting rescued without the shilka 500 meters further not even knowing what s up ).

I think you guys are ready for a Airwing session with us  biggrin.gif

Cheers

JAP

/edit : Maybe if you re interested sometime other post

I remember one CTF game on public server few months a go (one of my best experiences in OFP actually wink.gif ), we took a Blackhawk with MG, I went in as a gunner and two my fellow soldiers boarded the chopper. The one guy in cargo paradropped out near the enemy flag. Then he managed to take the flag and hid, we landed our chopper near the enemy base to pick up our fellow soldier. I saw few enemy soldiers coming from the hill with their guns blazing at our chopper, but because I had a nice .50cal those guys didn't have a change. Meanwhile the flagman boarded our chopper and we flew to our own base, a perfect cap I would say biggrin.gif.

I sometimes find playing solo a lot of fun. Almost as much as working with a team. I'm getting pretty good at defensive tanking. Because it's easier to crew the tank all by yourself. Earlier today on Stoners' server, we played a map with some armor in it. I took a T80 and found a nice pirch. Switch to commander's seat, scanned, switch to gunners, fired. I was able to halt an enemy advance (1 enemy abrams, 1 bradley, 1 truck) with the help of one of my teammate (Tacticain) who was also in a T80, but further awat from me. In the end I had 63 points, and was in the #1 slot, the next highest score was 12 I belive, I'll have to check the screen shot later.

What I mean is, solo isn't all bad.

Playing Multi I almost always try to take the role of a helo pilot, people will generally listen if you stick up for yourself a bit.

One of my favorite tactics in the DESERT Map, is to load myself and one man in a Kiowa (OH-58) and fly wayyy south away from the island and circle from the rear into the flag City... he hops out before im even on the ground then hops back in and we're off... much easier than doing it yourself....

Last night I played it, we lifted off just as a tank round whizzed underneath us... rather exciting actually...

However you have to be proficent at the Helo your flying to land like that, so quickyl and precise, but the OH-58 is great for 1 man insertions for sure.

On large scale wars like that I'll often go hunting for hurt teammates and Helo them back to a MED Tent, you make a lot of friends that way!

lol. Last time I needed a rescue it took twenty minutes. A guy who was driving ran into a pole. I got really injured. He killed himself and went back to base. He then got a chopper and tried to rescue me. I was on the side of the road yet he couldn't see me. He landed about 100m infrotn of me. Then took off a few minutes later and landed another 100m from me. I don't think he knows if you press G you get the compass. Especially since I kept telling him where to go and he wouldnt do it confused.gif

LOL

Yea, I think you should need some sort of certification to fly the Helos... nothings worse than loading up in one, and having the idiot pilot rotate the nose too far down so he can't recover right after take off...

Or if they don't even understand how choppers slow down.

I admit, I've had my fair share of misshaps though biggrin.gif

Like trying to land near a flag and actually piercing the flag through the helo causing it to flip and explode tounge.gif

One more note I love about flying choppers... well not love but appreciate, is the severity a missle strike can have, if you'r not destroyed, it can rather difficult sometimes to recover from the attitude it puts you in... nothing like a 110 Angle of bank rotors whirring only 200 feet up...

Kinda funny how the troops jus kinda sit there LOL

On stoners since theres no 3rd person view, I normally have to make about 2-3 passes to find a good landing zone before I can land. Cause I gotta make sure I don't hit anything.

If I could afford, or know how to set one up, or know any tech skills needed, I would make a server to train pilots. Or tank crews. Or infantry. Or driving.

But hey, I can dream... right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Aug. 02 2002,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On stoners since theres no 3rd person view, I normally have to make about 2-3 passes to find a good landing zone before I can land.  Cause I gotta make sure I don't hit anything.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats because you arent any good smile.gif

I'd rather make a few passes than just go for it and most likely hit a tree. I'm not going to risk teammates. I don't use 3rd person anymore anyway.

Using third person is rather essential to making it half realistic when flying. I all reality the pilot has a much wider field of view in real life, he can lean over and look out a window, etc etc... I don't think it's that unrealistic...

Thats Bullshoot man. I am a pilot and the view isnt always that good most of the time is spent scanning the instrument panel anyway. buy a good joy stick...Use that hat switch to look around.

3rd person is not a good answer to narrow field of view. A set of eyes outside your helo or tank is a lot less realistic, than cockpit only narrow view. usually people dont like 1st person, cause it humbles them, but there are quite a few good pilots like TEX who do 1st person landings better than all you 3rd person ACES.

Now to answer the main topic. I thing that Para drops are a legit way of inserting troops. However it is sad that BIS made the pilot have the eject option. I think only the passangers should be able to para drop.

Now the real problem comes when you play a PUBLIC multi player game like stoners. I personally do not trust pilots I dont know, and will not fly with them. If the pilot isnt USMC, or someone I know who can handle the bird, I dont want to fly with em. Now if the policy was not to bail and let the helos respawn you would have too many wanna be pilots who suck crashin and killin your team over and over. And every game would start out with an all hands race to get to the pilot seat of the helos.

In tournament play I support the landing only scripts that have been incorperated into their maps. Even Stoners is now incorporating some NO CHUTE scripts. Should be interesting.

If you are truely interested in no chutes, and hard core realism settings go to

www.virtual-wars.com tournament site. There arte some dloads of their maps there. And if you have a squad, enter the tourney.

You gotta fly with me. I've been working on 1st person ladnings. I'm doing pretty good so far.

i can land 1st person its not like its hard its just finding a spot the hard part is slowing down u can do a sharp turn and come in slow but the fastest way but harder with no 3d view is to just pull back hold down bring here to a stop low level and set her down no circling that makes one big fat target for a single law guy, landing on builings no 3rd view is hard tho takes a few trys. Ive been in a hele and can say u get a far greater view than u can in ofp.

I never use third person to land. I may not be the best but I do not resort to third person.

I tried to make an aerial rescue in an Apache (I was alone). The guy was in a jeep in the middle of nowhere, calling for someone to pick him up. A guy in a Hind was attacking him. I landed in front of him, on a tree-covered hill. I was rather proud of my landing, I admit. "Get in," I shouted. You know what that idiot did? He took advantage of a break in the cannon fire to (you guessed it) pass my landed chopper by fifty meters and zip into a town. I took off, yelling at him, so he stopped and got out in the town. The guy with the Hind destroyed his jeep and disabled his legs. I landed about a hundred meters away and called to him. He replied that he couldn't move, so I took off and landed next to him. Remember, this is inside a town. I was between a pub and a church or something. I still can't believe I didn't hit anything. So what does this genius do? He crawls toward another jeep (the map had jeeps all over to get back to base with). I got out of my chopper, thinking that by some slim chance the guy didn't see me. I ran over to him just in time to be crippled by the burst that killed him. A second later my chopper blew up, thanks to Mister Hind's FFARs. I was stuck in the middle of buttfuck nowhere with no ride, no legs, and nobody who wanted to attempt a rescue. I ended my misery with a grenade or something. It's a good thing that it is a game and not real life, I suppose.

Beh

So where is this Stoner server? Is there one that doesn't require Resistance?