Sign in to follow this  
Toonen1988

Arma 3 bots, looting.

I dont know if this already reported on the forums.

Can bots loot from dead body's? You needed to order them in the older versions Arma 1/2 (havent try this in Arma 3) but it would be awesome if they can look for them self. They go looting on dead body's (friendly or enemy's) when they are running low on ammo or injured without having any medkits, or searching for a new gun when they cant find any mags for their weapon. Maybe also trading with eachother when an bot has alot mags left, and the other one is running low on ammo. Or even interactive with an player, like trading mags when an player is running low on ammo.

I know it would be an difficult task to do, but not impossible!

I dont know how far Bohemia Interactive want to go with the bots, but this would be an nice feature if they havent mentioned this feature already! :)

Edited by DeAdSeYe

I'm unsure if they have implemented this feature yet, but it's certainly possible as demonstrated with ASR_AI in Arma 2. If implemented, the AI would probably use the "Rearm at" function when close enough to a supply point. :)

As for interaction between AI and players, that should be fairly easy to accomplish. Simple mathematics (take percentage of ammo) along with an accept/deny option when interacting with humans.

Edited by MissileMoose

I've had AI squad leaders order to me to re-arm at corpses before, so it stands to reason that they can issue the same orders to other AI in their squad.

I've had AI squad leaders order to me to re-arm at corpses before, so it stands to reason that they can issue the same orders to other AI in their squad.

Doesn't happen without mods afaik.

The squad leader can order them to rearm at somewhere. You can order them to rearm yourself, you can run ASR_AI mod that automates their rearming at boxes or supply points (even corpses IIRC). If you are a member of a squad, the AI squad leader can even order you to rearm somewhere himself, if you run out of ammo, even in vanilla, like Messiah wrote. I am not sure if in vanilla an AI squad leader issues rearm orders to its AI subordinates, but it shouldn't be hard to test. I think I have observed it few times, but am not completely sure. Theoretically, with ASR_AI, they should even share magazines out of backpacks.

Mind you, as they are good trained soldiers, even if he did order them to rearm at a corpse, he wouldn't order them to take an enemy's weapon probably. Which is just as good, and you shouldn't take it in COOP as well, as it craps out of your human comrades if they hear an AK47 fire from behind them without warning.

The squad leader can order them to rearm at somewhere. You can order them to rearm yourself, you can run ASR_AI mod that automates their rearming at boxes or supply points (even corpses IIRC).

Yeah the rearming thing is something that's been in the engine since OFP. Though it only works for magazines, they won't pick up another weapon even if there's no mags at all for the current weapon in the area.

IMHO it's best to leave this scripted or maybe make a module or something to do it. If it's incorporated into the ai's fsm's then mission developers will be in a constant battle against yet another issue that makes the ai run off to do what they want. Things like asr were nice but had to be applies as a mod to be used. I don't think it would be too far fetched to set up a few scripts that could be worked in at the mission creator's own accord. At least then it wouldn't require a mod to make it happen.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Cheers :D

Yes, it would be good to have as many AI functions as possible in modules that can be applied in the editor such as medical healing, rearming, etc. so that user scripts don't conflict with their standard behavior.

AIs rearm themselves since OFP, but requires mods to switch weapon in the case of complete exhausting ammo.

Weren't you able to make AI take any object from a dead unit in OFP?

In no version of this game have I ever seen them rearm without being ordered to do so via script or player command. Especially in ArmA 2 it was pretty common to find them running around with an empty magazine and a loaded sidearm, without enough smarts to at least draw their sidearm. I still think this would be something best handled by way of script or module though. It's hard enough to get the ai to do what you want them to do, with another distraction it will just make it that much more difficult.