Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Who's your favorite 1985 character?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ July 20 2002,12:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't like Gatovski because he reminds me of annoying stealth missions of crawling about on your stomach without ever killing anybody<span id='postcolor'>

Not really.  It's very possible to wipe out every unit on the map, and it's actually easier to do with Gastovski.  The only problem is that there is never any MP5 ammo for him.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ July 20 2002,11:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On a slightly more logical level, why doesn't he evade capture?  If his plane crashes in a wood, he can run away.<span id='postcolor'>

Nichols was evading capture when he was nabbed by Spetz Natz.

By the way, Kazlowski was the medic and Fowley was the guy who said "meathead" all the time.  Both of them were killed at Montignac, sadly.  I thought they were pretty funny.  Still, Gastovski has that overused but still badass attitude that we can't help but love.

[Edit: I have a question. Has anyone ever landed the A-10 before the fuel leak occurs and gotten out? If so, what happens?]

from given choice..i can't decide...so null vote from me....either Armstrong or Gastovski.

Gastovski HANDS DOWN!

I hate black ops missions but i loved the dark attitude he had and the kind of dark jokes he made. smile.gif

there are loads of black-op-running-around-doing-missions-slowly games around. too many if you ask me.

But there are hardly any actual war games, which is why I like armstrong because of the origonality of it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kermit @ July 21 2002,10:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[Edit: I have a question.  Has anyone ever landed the A-10 before the fuel leak occurs and gotten out?  If so, what happens?]<span id='postcolor'>

It's hard to land in this game when you don't have a runway.  Although possible (I did it all the time for the last mission "Status Quo") and VERY fun, you have to find the right spot and then do it right, which is hard to do with limited time.

I'll try it and get back to you.

BTW - Does anybody know if the other two A-10s are supposed to crash in the beginning of the level?  Mine do. sad.gif

EDIT - It must have been a fluke, they didn't crash this time.

So I started up "Maverick" and decided to get my joystick working, so I started it up again confused.gif and went for a plane ride.  Anyway, I blew up a few tanks and landed.  Then the fuel leak started.  The pilot made the radio call and the plane's engines ran dry.  So I got out and the mission ended.  I assume it would of run the the cutscene and gone on as normal.  Here's a pic (http://fspilot.homestead.com/files/OPFpics/A10down.JPG).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ July 21 2002,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW - Does anybody know if the other two A-10s are supposed to crash in the beginning of the level?  Mine do. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe they don't like you and would rather both die than do a mission with you.

tounge.gif

except for the fact that i already said it was a fluke and they didnt do it the next time i tried.

mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[Edit: I have a question. Has anyone ever landed the A-10 before the fuel leak occurs and gotten out? If so, what happens?] <span id='postcolor'>

I think that the mission would probably not end because a trigger was not tripped or somthing.

Gotta Be Hammer... the Guy had his comedy moments.. Particularly in his opening cut scene.

But from Non-Player characters.... I can't believe no-ones mentioned Slava! That guy was waaay cool. You could feel for his cause.

I don't like slava, I can't feel for his cause, why didn't he just get along with the russians?

I let out a small sigh of releif when I heard he was dead.

muhahahahahaha

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ July 22 2002,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">why didn't he just get along with the russians?<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe because they killed his family?

Armstrong is the best, he is the most realistic. Hammer is dumb, Nichols is dumb and manages to be a redneck at the same time, and Gustovski, well, he is just not realistic. He has no sign of fear at all, it is like he is not human. It kinda ruins the feel.

Armstrong, he seems to have feelings, fear, sadness, but the spec op guy doesn't have any of those and I don't like the other ones, so I voted for Armstrong.

Plus, Armstrong kicks ass. wink.gif

I don't show a lot of my emotion during scary situations... does that mean I'm not human? But I agree, armstrong is the best!

You do not understand. While I realize that the emotionless SpecOp is overused in games and movies, it is an accurate representation of what they are trained to be. You see, both Armstrong and Gastovski are realistic. Armstrong is a wonderful portrayal of an ordinary United States Army soldier, whereas Gastovski is a good portrayal of a Special Operations man. They are actually trained to not only not show emotion, but as much as possible to actually not feel emotion. It's kind of scary, actually. That is the reason that negotiating doesn't usually work, especially with elite soldiers.

i like Gastovski better, it is because he has a intersting past while armstrong seems new. and about emotion, most highly trained people dont have emotion. it is because they know it will block their sense of judgents.

Trained to not have emotion!? Thats the biggest load of misinformation I've ever seen.

Soldiers, whether an infantryman or a special ops agent are regular people who are trained to fight. They still love their familys, they still have a sense of humor. Emotion usually doesn't get in the way of a job.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ July 23 2002,06:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Trained to not have emotion!?  Thats the biggest load of misinformation I've ever seen.

Soldiers, whether an infantryman or a special ops agent are regular people who are trained to fight.  They still love their familys, they still have a sense of humor.  Emotion usually doesn't get in the way of a job.<span id='postcolor'>

He tried to feel pain,sorrow and joy again after Resistance. He was 'empty', remember? tounge.gif

I voted Gastovski because of his cool, dry and sarcastic humor smile.gif

Luckily BIS kept that in OFP:R biggrin.gif

Yes, yes, you are right. But as much as possible, the military tries to quell that emotion, because it can affect judgement. After all, what would happen if a SpecOp or a Spetz Natz started thinking about the man in his sights? That man that he is about to kill has a family. Very likely he has children that depend on the money he sends back, and possibly aging parents who would be heartbroken if when they received the condolances of the military service he was in. I couldn't pull the trigger, and I doubt that anyone else could that hadn't been hardened to such things. Now, America's military is rather soft. But look at those whom we regard with disgust, such as the Nazis and others who practice genocide. Their soldiers are trained to have no emotion. SpecOps is similar, only not as severe.

I'm talking about emotions like humor and love and stuff like that.

Pity on your enemy when you're in a mission is different.

I forgot to mention fear, although they are not always (or even often) successful in stamping that out. Thing is, you never know until you are on the battlefield.

Most of the OPF characters have character traits that are too obvious; they feel faked; almost caricatures. Gastovki Is my favourite because his character is much more subtle; merely hinted at in some places- Victor Troska's is the same in Resistance, they are gradually built up; rather than just making sure you have a squad which contains A tough but good-guy sergeant; an asshole who loves war and some wise old guy who tells everyone to be quiet; real people aren't like that.

I like Gastovski because he is calm and efficient soldier.

I admire men like that in real life, too.

Doing their job, not whining about little things.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Trained to not have emotion!? Thats the biggest load of misinformation I've ever seen.

Soldiers, whether an infantryman or a special ops agent are regular people who are trained to fight. They still love their familys, they still have a sense of humor. Emotion usually doesn't get in the way of a job.<span id='postcolor'>

You are mixing the words "regular people" and "soldiers".

Soldiers are not humans, they don't have feelings, they don't have

families and so on.

Of course, those who survive the war, they may become humans again.

They are stuff that governments use when politics and diplomacy

don't work.

Acne, the only unrealistic characters I've seen are, as you said, the tough yet kindly sergeant and the wise old guy with the moustache who tells everyone to be quiet.

As for Kazlowski, the one who thought he enjoyed war, once he had gone into combat he likely thought differently. My brother is very much like him. He wants to be in combat. I tell him that if he ever does, he will wish he had never heard of it. If, of course, he survives, something Kazlowski didn't. And Fowley? He is a realistic character. I see many of him every day. The colonel is also realistic. Now I would ordinarily say that Guba is unrealistic, but I have seen him several times in the last hundred years or so in Hitler, Moumar Quaddafi, Saddam Hussein, and others.

Well the first mission of Hammers had me in fits after I saw his apperance and saw his name was hammer I has blowing up BMPs humming Na na na na na na na na Cant touch this! Stop! HAMMER TIME! But apart from that he has little character development. Nichols I kinda liked but he has a very small role and talks like back in the states he rode around on the back of a pickup shooting his shotgun at furry varmits. Armstrong I like because if you read the notes before a mission you can see his character developing, he is a goiod portrayal of a green recruit turned battle hardened by war. Although I was disapointed after the infantrys rather small role after you began controlling Hammer and Gastofski I think there was pathfinder with the Shilkas, Return to Eden and Counter Strike (Guardian doesenmt count when u have to protect trucks). I used to hate black ops missions but now I love em so Ive grown to like gastofski rather more. I love it when he says Gastofski, James Gastofski. His character also goes back in resistacne which I loved. Im making a campaign called the Gastofski Chronicles which goes right through his Career from Afghanistan (where he met Trotska) right through to the Gulf War. (ok desert island for the gulf and afghanistan) Its shaping up although it would be far better if I could put in me own speech so I vote gastofski

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ July 25 2002,19:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are mixing the words "regular people" and "soldiers".

Soldiers are not humans, they don't have feelings, they don't have

families and so on.

Of course, those who survive the war, they may become humans again.

They are stuff that governments use when politics and diplomacy

don't work.<span id='postcolor'>

And you're just flat out wrong.

If you've ever been on a military base you'd know that. I see soldiers with families all the time. People here are in training for command positions in combat, there are tons of kids.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for Kazlowski, the one who thought he enjoyed war, once he had gone into combat he likely thought differently.<span id='postcolor'>

Except for the fact that he already was in combat when he said he liked it so much.

Remember, after the first mission, riding in the truck to the place where you get overrun by the tanks? He'd already seen combat, but he still loved it.

That actually happens to a lot of people. Not that that literally love combat, but they get hooked on the adrenaline from it. A condition called post-combat stress disorder.