dmarkwick

JTD Flies ArmA3 version

On 18/02/2017 at 0:14 AM, lordprimate said:

Hello Dmarkwick, I have always loved this mod, and have a few edits that kinda corrects some issues. 

You have not responded to this thread in some time and there have been no word or hit of your return here. I would like to post the changes i have made publicly for others to try, however, If you disapprove please respond. I'll remove it right away 

Your key for this mod has been broken for some time. so i have quickly resigned it, so other server admins can allow it on their servers. 

and the changes i made to your code for testing were :

1: createvehicle [0,0,0]; optimization, this creates the logic that the fly's spawn or are dropped from. at the dead body. check bis code optimization page. 200 times faster to use [0,0,0], and then set the final location. so thats what i did there.

2. increased the distance the fly sound was heard from 20 m to 50m in the sound config. and increased the volume by 0.10 . to address several comments and personal experience not being able to hear it.

3. the command "say3d" has a format { object say3D [sound, maxDistance, pitch]  } the way its written in your script say3d["soundname",1]; the "one" represents the Maxdistance heard. so i changed that to 50m as well. the idea here is that with a low volume they may not be able to hear it at 50 meters but its there as they get closer it fades in organically.

4. i changed some config settings in the "drop" command for the fly's particle. I reduced the timerperiod and the life time. now when fly's first start it looks like a few flys rather then a small hord, as time passes the effect of the mod is more dramatic. basically less particle life time means fewer overall / overlapping particles, in the beginning.

5. i also introduced / uncommented another check to make sure the body has died under water/ and body has ragdolled.

6. just added some weight to the blood particles they seem to float out of the water some times  (in testing not sure if i added enough.)

7. and i just deleted some things that were redundant. comments etc.

but again this is just temporary until Dmarkwick responds. this is just a few tweeks with a new key and sig so it can be used on servers with verifysignatures=2;

(dare i say i have not seen any mention about a license restriction but again. im not here to split hairs i just want to keep an awesome mod alive. So again, Dmarkwick if you dont approve of this please dont be to upset i just want to help, and ill be more then happy to remove it)

DOWNLOAD:   JTD_FLIES version 0.5a

This is great mod because it offers a subtle but profound impact on the game's immersion.

Here are a couple of details which could make it even more realistic:

• Colonization temperature: nothing breaks immersion more than seeing flies in winter and/or high altitude. The reason is that most flies (depending on the species) can only survive in temperatures from 15-35 °C.
  • Colonization time: the time (minutes) for flies to arrive on the corpse, e.g. "Sacrophagidae (flesh flies) may arrive within minutes following death" and "usually arriving within 10 minutes of death"

So, any chance you could update this mod to include these 2 parameters?

Until Smell-O-Vision arrives, this continues to be brutal cue for grim realities of death.

@domokun....some cool suggestions there. 

I'd like to see these fellas turn up after a while too, especially for survival type missions, could be a great way to locate otherwise unseen fallen enemies....

646chyE.jpg

Yeah JTD's Fire & Smoke mod for Arma 2 had these flocks of birds that would get startled by approaching units and/or gunfire.

It was awesome to see a flock of birds suddenly rise from a forest and then feel the cold dread trickle down your spine.

So DM any chance for JTD Birds? With murders of cawing crows?

• Like 1

Hi lordprimate, thanks for the continued interest :)

Of course you are more than welcome to change or fix this as much as you like. I actually have made some of those changes already to my own version (sound volume for example) but I never released it, I thought no-one really used it. I wasn't aware the key didn't work anymore :(

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 9:56 AM, domokun said:

This is great mod because it offers a subtle but profound impact on the game's immersion.

Here are a couple of details which could make it even more realistic:

• Colonization temperature: nothing breaks immersion more than seeing flies in winter and/or high altitude. The reason is that most flies (depending on the species) can only survive in temperatures from 15-35 °C.
  • Colonization time: the time (minutes) for flies to arrive on the corpse, e.g. "Sacrophagidae (flesh flies) may arrive within minutes following death" and "usually arriving within 10 minutes of death"

So, any chance you could update this mod to include these 2 parameters?

Until Smell-O-Vision arrives, this continues to be brutal cue for grim realities of death.

Hi domukun, and also thanks for the continued interest :) and thanks for the ideas.

The time for the flies' arrival was made short to make gameplay a little more.... well gamey I suppose. I wanted a way to find dead bodies in long grass so I could take their ammo etc, and I wasn't really interested at the time in having a "realistic" fly arrival time :) I figured this was a good candidate for making it a little gamey. (pun intended ;))

I also made myself a simple heat-haze addon last year, it includes time-of-year and lattitude code so it doesn't happen inappropriately. I guess the same code could be used to control fly appearance too. I just never considered it outside of rain :)

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 9:13 PM, domokun said:

Yeah JTD's Fire & Smoke mod for Arma 2 had these flocks of birds that would get startled by approaching units and/or gunfire.

It was awesome to see a flock of birds suddenly rise from a forest and then feel the cold dread trickle down your spine.

So DM any chance for JTD Birds? With murders of cawing crows?

I did actually make a standalone version :/ but it's not releasable (I didn't put too much time into it), better in some ways and a little flaky in others. and I want to improve the sprites. So maybe sometime...

• Like 1

The haze addon sounds interesting. Also, a script version that simulated night mist burning off as the day warmed up could add quite a bit of immersion to appropriate scenarios. Is that something you might consider?

Fire & Smoke was / is one of my standard mods in A2/CO. The birds are one of the mods many cool features. So, whenever...