Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Air tanker crashes over big elk fire

I once read that statistically, fighting fires is more dangerous than flying combat missions.

My condolences and thoughts go out to the men and women who put their lives on the line for us, as well as the friends and family they leave behind.

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 19 2002,07wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my condolences goes out to those brave men's family. R.I.P.<span id='postcolor'>

Ill second that. Its pretty scary stuff and it takes brave people to fight these things.

How could wings just snap off? The same happened to that C-130. confused.gif

My condolences to the families of those brave men sad.gif

0271942455_slurry_carr.jpg

What is it? It mostly resembles a B-24 except for the rear wing assembly.

No matter what - gosh that's an old tub to hold so much water weight.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 19 2002,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is it?<span id='postcolor'>

Silly me! It's says so in the photo caption - a PB4Y. More info here.

Wow, that plane first appeared in 1942. No wonder the wing just snapped off like that.

It does take a very brave pilot to fly one of those though. Rest in peace.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 19 2002,07:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my condolences goes out to those brave men's family. R.I.P.<span id='postcolor'>

My stomach turns upside down when I hear crap like that. Those men were doing their duty as fire fighter. They chose the profession and knew the occupational hazards. They were putting out as forrest fire for crying out loud, not saving children from a buring orphanage! Sure it is a tragic thing when people die but they don't deserve to get any more attention then some random road accident victim. I guess it is part of the post 9/11 fire fighter glorification... I can give no other explanation why some people act like that.

If you want to feel sorry for some people read this... and that didn't make it to the CNN front page mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 19 2002,14:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to feel sorry for some people read this... and that didn't make it to the CNN front page   mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

sad.gif

These things happen every day and most of the time majority of people don't care shit.

From what ive seen on discovery channel and read in various articles these birds are privatly owned and need to fly allot to make them profitable. Most of them are airplanes from the 40-50's whose airframe fatigue life is near its "golden years" add to that a good load of water and some pretty hard manouvering and any weakness in the wingspars will make them snap like a twig under high G-loads.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 19 2002,07:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 19 2002,07wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my condolences goes out to those brave men's family. R.I.P.<span id='postcolor'>

My stomach turns upside down when I hear crap like that. Those men were doing their duty as fire fighter. They chose the profession and knew the occupational hazards. They were putting out as forrest fire for crying out loud, not saving children from a buring orphanage! Sure it is a tragic thing when people die but they don't deserve to get any more attention then some random road accident victim. I guess it is part of the post 9/11 fire fighter glorification... I can give no other explanation why some people act like that.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 19 2002,04:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 19 2002,07wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my condolences goes out to those brave men's family. R.I.P.<span id='postcolor'>

My stomach turns upside down when I hear crap like that. Those men were doing their duty as fire fighter. They chose the profession and knew the occupational hazards. They were putting out as forrest fire for crying out loud, not saving children from a buring orphanage! Sure it is a tragic thing when people die but they don't deserve to get any more attention then some random road accident victim. I guess it is part of the post 9/11 fire fighter glorification... I can give no other explanation why some people act like that.

If you want to feel sorry for some people read this... and that didn't make it to the CNN front page   mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I guess the difference is that the guys who died in the crash put their lives on the line knowing that there is a good chance that they'll get killed in their job, and they still do it. For that they have my deepest respect.

What makes me mad are these stupid enviromentalist,sp?, who get these crazy laws past. YOu have to have a permit to cut down trees is some places! These crazy people do not help the Earth but hurt it! They have no comon sense what so evere, they have even less than me! You should take care of the Earth but some people carry it to far, like in New Mexico up in the mountains over looking Red River there are some many trees , that are so close togather that it ia not healthy for the tress. We need some people to be able to go cut down tons and tons of tress so the Forest Fire danger wan't be so high As for the guys fighting the froest fires, they deserve as mcuh respect as a firefighter on 9/11.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 19 2002,13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to feel sorry for some people read this... <span id='postcolor'>

Real tragedy often doesn't make it past the censors. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ July 19 2002,20:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 19 2002,13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to feel sorry for some people read this... <span id='postcolor'>

Real tragedy often doesn't make it past the censors. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Does this look like the Middle East thread? No? Well done, stick to putting such things in there.

Wow. For the first time since I mistakenly thought Denoir was a pinko anti gun commie, I disagree with him. wink.gif

Terrible things happen in accidents all the time. That doesnt mean we shouldnt forget that they happen, or that we shouldnt give a thought to how horrid it must have been for those people on a bus. Burning to death..errrrkk. sad.gif

Thing is this... Unless you want million of hectares to burn down, fires do have to be fought. And yeah..it may be empty of people, but if you dont stop the fire... what is to say it wont burn through urban areas as well?

I will agree that hero worship sometimes goes a little overboard. These guys were doing their job. Doesnt make them particularly heroic that they crashed and died...it's just sort of a crappy way to go.

I fought fires one summer, from the ground, and it was dirty, hot, nasty work. It ruined a perfect tan too! wink.gif So while I dont think they are hero's, I do hold the guys who fight forest fires in high regard. It's often a pretty thankless job.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 20 2002,01:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow. For the first time since I mistakenly thought Denoir was a pinko anti gun commie, I disagree with him. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Whaddya mean mistakenly? biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I stand by my position. Pure rubbish hero worship without any reason. Sad? Yes. Important enough to be on the CNN title page? Hell no.

They were doing their job and they got killed. As are hundereds of policemen, garbagemen, super market clerks and so on each year. I don't see them getting the All-Amerian-Hero treatment.

BS propaganda that is if anything an insult to the men that died in the air tanker mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 20 2002,01:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I fought fires one summer, from the ground, and it was dirty, hot, nasty work.  It ruined a perfect tan too! wink.gif  So while I dont think they are hero's, I do hold the guys who fight forest fires in high regard. It's often a pretty thankless job.<span id='postcolor'>

i shall call it extra crispy tan tounge.gif

Denoir, I don't like those hero-ization, but i'm just expressing my condolences here. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 20 2002,02:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denoir, I don't like those hero-ization, but i'm just expressing my condolences here.  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Do you really think that it was an coincidence that the accident appeared on the front page while the Uganda accident did not?

I find it sad how intelligent people can be so sheepish. If you can't see it then there is no point in me trying to explain it since it will ultimately only result in flaming.

CNN: News based in US

Uganda: a country in another continent.

CNN's major market: ? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 20 2002,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you really think that it was an coincidence that the accident appeared on the front page while the Uganda accident did not?

I find it sad how intelligent people can be so sheepish. If you can't see it then there is no point in me trying to explain it since it will ultimately only result in flaming.<span id='postcolor'>

Not an accident at all. Just that certain groups in the first world, couldnt care less about the third world. 60 people died horibbly? They dont want to hear about it ... (yes this is a generality and not EVERYONE in the first world is like this)

On the other hand, they love it when someone that could easily be a friend/neighbor/relative dies in what seems like a heroic fashion. It lets them feel all noble and stuff. And thus the problem with most of the first world...

And I dont see it changing

It is sad that thoes people died but the fire fighters where risking theri lives.

I would have to say, it was the person who set that forest on fire, fault.If that person didnt start that fire, then that would of not happend.I hear on the news, that when they catch the person, that set the forest on fire, theres going to be a steep fine.

And i cant belive it happend here in Colorado. sad.gif