everyone

Spawning explosion bombs other than the good 'ol GBU12 LGB

As usual for me, I set off to start putting together a mission that should take 20 minutes, but then get stuck on one tiny detail and spend three hours researching it without accomplishing a damned thing. Arma editing will be the death of me.

So in past Armas, whenever I wanted to trigger an explosion I'd use:

bomb = "Bo_GBU12_LGB" createVehicle

at a specified marker. I want to do this in Arma 3, but there is no paveway in-game as of yet (or if there is, its class name has changed to something I can't find). I want to simulate a mortar strike (without going to the trouble of adding an artillery support module to pull it off), and for the life of me I can't get the 82mm mk6 mortar shell to explode. Any idea how to do it? I figured out that the mortar shell class name is Sh_82mm_AMOS, but using the line:

bomb = "Sh_82mm_AMOS"

doesn't work. Same for

shell = "Sh_82mm_AMOS", grenade = "Sh_82mm_AMOS", and so on.

Another question:

I'm trying to simulate being fired upon by a mortar that is set up in a base you're assaulting at night. Creating the explosions should be easy (provided someone answers the above question), the other part of the simulation would be to make a muzzle-flash that would be visible to the players if they're looking at the base, in order to provide warning of the incoming mortar shells. Any idea how (or even if its possible) to trigger not an explosion, but just the muzzle flash? Its either that or set up an enemy mortar team to fire a couple shells at the player after the player sets off a trigger... I'm not sure which would be more efficient.

Herpity-doo. Just realized this is A3, not A2. Info/link removed.

Edited by Harzach

As usual for me, I set off to start putting together a mission that should take 20 minutes, but then get stuck on one tiny detail and spend three hours researching it without accomplishing a damned thing. Arma editing will be the death of me.

So in past Armas, whenever I wanted to trigger an explosion I'd use:

bomb = "Bo_GBU12_LGB" createVehicle

at a specified marker. I want to do this in Arma 3, but there is no paveway in-game as of yet (or if there is, its class name has changed to something I can't find). I want to simulate a mortar strike (without going to the trouble of adding an artillery support module to pull it off), and for the life of me I can't get the 82mm mk6 mortar shell to explode. Any idea how to do it? I figured out that the mortar shell class name is Sh_82mm_AMOS, but using the line:

bomb = "Sh_82mm_AMOS"

doesn't work. Same for

shell = "Sh_82mm_AMOS", grenade = "Sh_82mm_AMOS", and so on.

Another question:

I'm trying to simulate being fired upon by a mortar that is set up in a base you're assaulting at night. Creating the explosions should be easy (provided someone answers the above question), the other part of the simulation would be to make a muzzle-flash that would be visible to the players if they're looking at the base, in order to provide warning of the incoming mortar shells. Any idea how (or even if its possible) to trigger not an explosion, but just the muzzle flash? Its either that or set up an enemy mortar team to fire a couple shells at the player after the player sets off a trigger... I'm not sure which would be more efficient.

None of what your trying to do will work yet as those classes required are protected or not in game yet as usable munitions without the use of arty computer.

Munitions I know work with createVehicle are :

M_PG_AT

R_80mm_HE

G_40mm_HE

M_NLAW_AT_F

M_RPG32_F

Spawn them at 0 feet/ground level and they will explode.

I recently had the same problem. I eventually opened up the mortar sqm files in the helicopter showcase mission folder. Eventually you'll find some code which determines the location of a trigger; then defines an explosion using the HeliExplosionSmall class or something, and then spawns this explosion at every ammo box in the vincinity of the trigger. I used it in my own SP helicopter mission and it works like intended. I'm not home right now but if you can't figure it out I'd be happy to post the code I distilled from the showcase.

For the (op) here is a simple script that we use from time to time.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// BOMSF (BlackOpsMercenaries Special Forces)
// www.bomsf.com
// cobra@bomsf.com
//
// Arillery Support
//
// create a radio trigger
//	// 3 Charlie Artillery
//	[] spawn {
//	     private ["_trg"];
//	     _trg = createTrigger ["EmptyDetector",getPos player];
//	     _trg setTriggerArea[5,5,0,true];
//	     _trg setTriggerActivation["CHARLIE","PRESENT",true];
//	     _trg setTriggerStatements["this", "nuldf = [] execVM 'teg\arty_auto.sqf';", ""]; 
//	     3 setRadioMsg "Call For Artillery" ;
//	};
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
deleteMarker "ArtilleryZone";

titleText ["Open your map and click on artillery target location.", "PLAIN"];

onMapSingleClick 
{
titleText ["", "PLAIN"];
_mrkr = createMarker ["ArtilleryZone", _pos];
"ArtilleryZone" setMarkerShape "ICON";
"ArtilleryZone" setMarkerColor "ColorBlack";
"ArtilleryZone" setMarkerSize [1, 1];
"ArtilleryZone" setMarkerType "mil_warning";
"ArtilleryZone" setMarkerText "Artillery Zone";
targetLocation = _pos; 
onMapSingleClick {};
};

private ["_i","_area","_rounds","_del","_height","_ammo"];
_i = 0;
_area   = 30;
_rounds = 4;
_del    = 1.5;
_height = 0; // increase this if you want the items to fall from the sky.

_ammo = "HelicopterExploSmall"; // Ammo can be changed for larger effects.
sleep 5;	
hint "Artillery firing on target location.";
sleep 1;
while {_i < _rounds} do
{
	_i = _i + 1;
	_newpos = targetLocation;
	_posX = _newpos select 0;
	_posY = _newpos select 1;
	_artysup = createVehicle [_ammo,[(_posX + random _area)-_area/2, (_posY + random _area)-_area/2,_height],[], 0, "can_collide"];_artysup setdamage 1;
	sleep 4;
};

Hope this helps.

None of what your trying to do will work yet as those classes required are protected or not in game yet as usable munitions without the use of arty computer.

Munitions I know work with createVehicle are...

Spawn them at 0 feet/ground level and they will explode.

Excellent, that is very helpful, thank you.

Also, something I have always struggled with when editing Arma: is there any simple way to figure things like that out? I've googled high and low for a definitive list of class names and their associated function, but the best I can find are incomplete lists cobbled together by people brute forcing their way through a database. The best I've come up with is the this addEventhandler ["fired",{hint format["%1",_this]}] trick, but that is so inefficient that I can't decide if its funny or sad. Plus it didn't even end up working with my mortar explosion struggle last night.

Hey guys! Do you know if there is a way to simulate the explosion of a "Smoke shell" instead of a regular HE round from a trigger or a mortar? 

Yes, you can simulate the explosion of anything in the game. Everything from hand grenades to massive rockets all from triggers. We moved house and I lost my notes!  Search through Arma 2 posts. After you find the command you need to find the class name of the item.