Sign in to follow this  
jgbtl292

thermal viev in arma

hi i think the thermal sight in arma need adjustments in brightness value.

the terrain is to dark and the cars and humans are to bright. helmets platte carrier , bagpacks all is shining ^^

and all other metal - the containers - metal barns - railings in the sun - hot streets , have no hot thermal texture ^^

i have looked at many thermal sights - in arma is most time to easy to find a enemy.

thx

Edited by JgBtl292

I

Does the Arma 3 alpha have flir in anything other than the boats? I feel like I've explored it pretty well.

I've gotten my girlfriend to play Arma 2 on a regular basis, but she has a hard time with target identification and loves using the FLIR because it makes life easier for her. I'd get a lot more lan happening with Arma if there was a riflesight with thermal capabilites in the Alpha.

And back to the original point: yes, it would be good to get at least white hot and black hot polarity. Maybe an instalert in there too, but please god no predator vision.

I

Does the Arma 3 alpha have flir in anything other than the boats? I feel like I've explored it pretty well.

I've gotten my girlfriend to play Arma 2 on a regular basis, but she has a hard time with target identification and loves using the FLIR because it makes life easier for her. I'd get a lot more lan happening with Arma if there was a riflesight with thermal capabilites in the Alpha.

And back to the original point: yes, it would be good to get at least white hot and black hot polarity. Maybe an instalert in there too, but please god no predator vision.

If it's anything like Operation Arrowhead, it should have several ways of displaying the thermal information.

0 = White Hot

1 = Black Hot

2 = Light Green Hot / Darker Green cold

3 = Black Hot / Darker Green cold

4 = Light Red Hot /Darker Red Cold

5 = Black Hot / Darker Red Cold

6 = White Hot / Darker Red Cold

7 = Thermograph (Shade of Red and Green, Bodys are white)

So yes, if it's like OA then there is an option for 'Predator Vision'. Which vision modes an optic has (optical, light intensifying night vision, flir modes 0 through 7) are specified in a config file, as well as options for post processing effects like chromatic aberration, tv noise, blur, etc.

Edited by Max Power

you have thermal in the weapons stations in the cars to ;)

No one has even touched on anything the OP said.. ..

Fact is, I believe the "thermal signature" put off by cars, guns and vehicles (so on so forth) are all a texture file. On guns in particular, there are several textures which replace on another based upon how much the gun is fired to represent heat intensification.

For the ground to have this effect, they would need to write the code that causes a sunny day to heat the land. For all objects in a given scene to have this data applied to it would be a fairly large undertaking. So while there is not enough heated objects to make the thermal imaging represent real life effectively it gets the job done as is.

The thermal maps already have all of this information in them. I don't know if they are used for terrain, though.

• Red channel of a TI texture is always 100% white, this means unaltered config values for half cooling time will be used.
  • Red channel only affects how much an object heats up from the SUN.
  • Green channel consists of base layers made of grey 3D noise and lightmaps, with bright areas of heat sources (if present).
  • Blue channel is 100% black with white areas where moving parts are.
  • Alpha channel is metabolism heat, used on people and for barrel heat on tanks/weapons. It is similarily done as the Green channel.

The thermal maps already have all of this information in them. I don't know if they are used for terrain, though.

In this context, does "terrain" include environmental objects like water tanks, railings etc?

Obviously I, too, would like to see exposed metal surfaces appear hot in thermal vision systems during the day.

In this context, does "terrain" include environmental objects like water tanks, railings etc?

Obviously I, too, would like to see exposed metal surfaces appear hot in thermal vision systems during the day.

I'm not sure. There are also config values associated with a few different thermal parameters. I don't know if those apply to buildings and trees or not.

It COULD but it doesn't, many objects in OA were missing thermal maps (_TI) and we can see in the alpha that they are not in place yet on much of anything otherwise vehicles would only show heat signatures around the wheels and engine, not to mention always being heated.

If anything it will most likely be done in the same way of operation arrowhead, TI maps only for guns, infantry and vehicles..which is a shame because something like this would be amazing.

Edited by NodUnit

The aperture and contrast on the TI systems is a little weird indeed. In fact, it renders the opfor thermosuits completely useless unless they are hiding right next to a bright source. Ground heating and similar disturbances are not modelled and make thermal much more powerful than it would be in real life (where it already is a gamechanger).

I would be all for nerfing it a little bit, so that the opfor suits actually provide thermal camouflage.

But I think one big issue is terrain heating not being modelled. (In a hot summers day, the ground will be much hotter than human skin, for example. Especially in the mediterranean, and bare sand.) At least, it appears not to factor into the thermal simulation.

or the animals - have animals thermaltextures ? not sure ... its a rabbit or a covert enemy ? on the hill, behind the stones ;)

an the most wantet ;) the overkill for a thermal sight - fog and heavy rain !

i think made all textures with a thermal is to big.

a compromise

- the normal streets

- containers

- metalbarns

- rails

- animals

- big stones

more thermal block for ( lower brightness )

- actual vehicles

- helmet, special camonet helms

- rigs

- packpacks

- gille suits

- car tarps ( hunter a example )

at the night or on cool weather - very low brightness for all metal - cars to

and the anti thermalsight effect from fog and rain ( with a good rain your thermal picture looks more mud than all the other ;) )

picture from a tank to a standing tank with engine off and no drive bevore

3nightsight.jpg

Edited by JgBtl292