Sign in to follow this  
DarkSpawn

Linux server

Now that ofp has gotten its improved netcode and has gotten ridden of a few bugs with the release of resistance, I think it is time to take the next step in making this game even more popular than it is.

To do this you need a better server admining community, and you need a linux binary. Nothing bad about the windows server, but it does crash quite often, and it requires more resources from the server. I am running a coupple of cs-servers and I am hanging a lot around in the server admin community, and it is really something the ofp community should strive to become. I know cs is a lot bigger than ofp, but to get a better community is the right step to take.

To be more precise I miss, along with a linux server (not through wineX or something like that mind you), far better faq's for how to set up a server. The faq's need to be step by step, and they need to contain all possible server variables, and btw, they need to be located somewhere easy to find. A pure server-admin site would be the logical location. (And btw. if you do release a linux-server, be sure to separate the forums for w32 and linux)

Having a large thriving community is the best way of advancing the game throughout the gaming world.

That said, I am very happy with the improvements made in resistance, and I am looking forward to further improvements in future updates.

P.S

Just to add something that has annoyed me, the aid-defence vehicles, like shilka, and vulcan, should be much more powerful at close range. A hind hanging over a vulcan at 100 meters when the vulcan is manned, should be blotted out of the sky very easily, after all, the choppers have a range advantage on these vehicles, so a chopper pilot moving to close should be made to pay for it very easily.

I have been asking the same question... please can someone from BIS address this?

BIS... if you need someone to help you test a linux version FragHaus is available with servers.

Another thing about the windows server (even though I am not sure about this) I notice that when firing up the server my swap-file usage increases with about 20mb, but if I let the server say over the night, the spaw space usage has increased another 50mb.

That leads to me suspecting a memory leakage.

Any1 gotten similar indications?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkSpawn @ July 18 2002,14:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another thing about the windows server (even though I am not sure about this) I notice that when firing up the server my swap-file usage increases with about 20mb, but if I let the server say over the night, the spaw space usage has increased another 50mb.

That leads to me suspecting a memory leakage.

Any1 gotten similar indications?<span id='postcolor'>

Where is the connection between that and a dedicated Linux server ?  

I think it's the wrong topic!  

My statement to a dedicated Linux Server:

Most gameservers are Linux- based server.  Also we have specially for OFP a Windows server in the employment.  We wait already for a long time that OFP can be operated on Linux servers. It would save us enormous amounts of money for the rent, which we could use for better purposes (for example for a new, more powerful Linux - server)  biggrin.gif

* BUMP *

Op Flashy is crying out for a ded linux server. Lots of ISPs just arent willing to host Winblows servers..

I hope they do soon.

Running with wine on P3 500MHz and 384 MB RAM is not the best. It works, but I think if too many connected, we will get lag. Only have tried with 3 people connected, but works. The only prob is, that it don't show up in the f****** gamespy.

With VMWARE for Linux it works also on a LINUX Server...

Just install

vmwar with Win98 & DirectX8.0a

an voilla --->> Fun ...

and it works very fine...

But only the Ded. Server..

Have a look @ their Dokumentation on OFP on Linux.

I know thats an ...... but it works. !!

Good point Gismo, I guess it was just a bad attempt from me to talk crap about the windows server to promote Linux biggrin.gif

My bad

VMWARE is proably another way to go, but its just not what I want at least tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (shortylaforge @ July 21 2002,12:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With VMWARE for Linux it works also on a LINUX Server...<span id='postcolor'>

Works alot more easier and faster with WINE, though a native linux binary is much better of course.

Hi Kegetys,

thx for that Idea... **very good Idea**

Do you have an active Config. Example. for WINE && OFP ??

... Is it a stable Config. ?

Greetings, Shortylaforge

Hi,

I also run the dedi server on Linux with wine (it was Lob's linux Server). You can use the normal wine distribution which can be found at www.winehq.com. No special config needed.

The server config is the same as on windows.

I have noticed, that the server runs under the user who is logged in in linux. When you log in with user name fred, the UserInfo.cfg must be in Users/fred/. There you can edit the things like 3pv and so on. It's the best, when you set up with your normal player in OFP and then copy to that folder.

I also have noticed, that the server crashes when you try to use maps with addons. So you only can use maps without addons.

My PC is a PIII 500 MHz with 384 MB RAM and has a DSL with 768/128 kbit up/down. I think the lag we had while testing comes from the DSL line and not from the server. Haven't tested in a LAN right now, but will test when we do a small LAN-Party.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

damn.... it is DSL 768/128 kbit down/up and not up/down.

Another thing I have noticed and forgotten. You cannot see the Server in the GS ingame browser when you are in the same LAN like the server. I always thought that it don't show up in GS, but it do.

And one more: I also have hosted TeamSpeak while testing the server. So this also has got some bandwidth of the line and can be a thing that brought the small lag.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lobanak @ July 30 2002,01:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also have noticed, that the server crashes when you try to use maps with addons. So you only can use maps without addons.<span id='postcolor'>

Addons work fine for me.

Did someone find a way to administrate the server by a normal SSH connection ??

If you are talking about Win servern Gismo, even if it is off topic wink.gif , I used ssh on a Win server (WinSSH), and could start and stop the server by making it running at service w/ FireDaemon , with net start & net stop commands.

on Linux, should be easier... After all, it's UNIX, normal & logical way of handling processes wink.gif

Whis'

Windows ??

In my question it concerns linux and wine.

wine without X-Window (if that's possible?)!

I don't know whether you can use wine without X because I just have an Alpha which means that I can not use Wine because it does not run on 64-bit-only systems. (in fact it does not run on anything else then x86-compatible systems).

If you have a good connection at home (DSL or better), you could use VNC.

You install a VNC-Server on the OFP-Server System and a VNC-Client at home (there are clients for Windows as well as for Linux). Then you can access X from home I think.

I can run an ofp dedi with wine, no problem. The problem is that it starts that utterly useless console window, which needs X. That's ok if the linux server is in the same room, but my linux server would be 200km away and i can't always go there to restart the server should it crash... and afaik if i wanted to start it remotely from my place i would have to forward X, which means i would need a second linux box at my place. Maybe it could work if X was already running on the remote server (with xhost +localhost or xhost +<from where i log in>) and X-forwarding was disabled... i don't know. Anyone got a solution for that problem? Is there a possibility to start a wine dedi without X, either by disabling the win desktop in wine or the dedi console window in ofp?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benu @ Aug. 10 2002,04:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and afaik if i wanted to start it remotely from my place i would have to forward X, which means i would need a second linux box at my place. Maybe it could work if X was already running on the remote server (with xhost +localhost or xhost +<from where i log in>) and X-forwarding was disabled... i don't know. Anyone got a solution for that problem?<span id='postcolor'>

VNC is the answer like Hellek already said

Hmm, but it's only a clutch, cause with vnc i would need a win box instead of a linux box or am i missing something? If i would be using vnc and shut down my box, would the server still be running? I was looking for something like screen, where you start the server, it runs even when you turn off your box, and you can reconnect whenever you want...

VNC is made for running a remote X session, you run the vnc server, it goes to background and runs an X session to which you can connect from any vnc viewer client (windows, linux, java, etc.)

It would seem that with sockets now available, a Linux server would be the next logical step. It would have no backward compatibility with Directplay of course. =)

My memory is a tad fuzzy, but from my days working with Half-Life mods, all you really need is a Linux-compatible exe for the dedi. Everything else should already work fine. A port should be possible.

Yes but making a linux-compatible executeable is not that easy.

I think that BI has to isolate the code needed for the dedi, look for code that is windows-only and replace it by linux-compatible code and then recompile it.

It would be great if they would also try to compile it for DEC Alphas. Chances are good that they would not have to change the code any more. DEC Alpha is simply another processor, not a new operating system.