Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate

Grenade Launcher sight

IRL you don't have TAB+Click for aircraft weapon systems either.

But we'll see.

As the devs have stated, Arma is an infantry simulator, not an aircraft simulator. Not to mention that aircraft targeting systems are way more diverse, complex and complicated than the ranging marks on a grenade launcher sight.

Voted ;)

I almost feel bad for BIS at this point, they probably have metric ton of feedback coming in that they need to sort through and prioritize. If by release there isn't some change I'm glad at least the effort was made to form a reasonable suggestion early in public alpha.

I'm a little confused by this thread, but then, I'm not experienced with either Arma or these weapons in RL. (Luckily, I do know which end of a mouse to hold, if just barely.) So I might be talking about something entirely different (for one thing, I never see a red dot or range markings at all).

But in the Infantry Showcase, for example, I can switch to a grenade launcher on my rifle. But how in the heck do you aim that thing?

There seem to be two sights, neither of which point at where the grenade will actually land. That's when I right-click to bring the gun to an aiming position (like I'd use a scope). If I don't do that, there's a white marker on the screen which also seems to have little relation to where the grenade goes. Is there any way to aim this at all, or do I just point in the general direction?

With more experience, I have gotten a little better at telling where the grenade will land, but it's far from really "aiming." What am I missing?

I am still getting the (IMHO) bug that when you bring up your UGL optics and zero to any range (best visible at 400m), the sight is unusable. Because the view is still centered on the former (rifle) sight instead of centering on the UGL sight. Thus, if you zoom in to see the enemy, the screen center zooms in, and the UGL sight is no longer visible. This is evident on any of the longer zeroed ranges. Expected behaviour would be to center view on the UGL sight when in optics mode. (a related bug is that because of the wrong centering, when zeroed to 400m the UGL sight is about ten pixels above the bottom screen bezel. Not only getting obscured by ST_Hud, a mod a lot of serious players use, but hard to see even without)

As to WCG's question: You either use the crosshair that appears in UGL fire mode, or the red dot sight on the side of the weapon (not hte one on top). The grenade launcher has a highly curved balistic trajectory. Imagine it more like a pocket mortar (gross simplification of course). If you want to hit something at a distance, you aim the rifle way above it. Thus, you have to zero your weapon for the target's range (default PG UP/PG DN). Either use the game crosshairs, which you can notice shift position as you change the zeroing, guesstimate the distance to target and zero it (displayed in top right corner), then aim at target and fire, or (when you are playing with crosshairs off) bring up your UGL sight (default NUM 0), zero to target distance and fire. When you don't zero the sight aproximately right, of course it will fire completely elsewhere. HTH.

I am still getting the (IMHO) bug that when you bring up your UGL optics and zero to any range (best visible at 400m), the sight is unusable. Because the view is still centered on the former (rifle) sight instead of centering on the UGL sight. Thus, if you zoom in to see the enemy, the screen center zooms in, and the UGL sight is no longer visible. This is evident on any of the longer zeroed ranges. Expected behaviour would be to center view on the UGL sight when in optics mode. (a related bug is that because of the wrong centering, when zeroed to 400m the UGL sight is about ten pixels above the bottom screen bezel. Not only getting obscured by ST_Hud, a mod a lot of serious players use, but hard to see even without)

As to WCG's question: You either use the crosshair that appears in UGL fire mode, or the red dot sight on the side of the weapon (not hte one on top). The grenade launcher has a highly curved balistic trajectory. Imagine it more like a pocket mortar (gross simplification of course). If you want to hit something at a distance, you aim the rifle way above it. Thus, you have to zero your weapon for the target's range (default PG UP/PG DN). Either use the game crosshairs, which you can notice shift position as you change the zeroing, guesstimate the distance to target and zero it (displayed in top right corner), then aim at target and fire, or (when you are playing with crosshairs off) bring up your UGL sight (default NUM 0), zero to target distance and fire. When you don't zero the sight aproximately right, of course it will fire completely elsewhere. HTH.

yeah, obviously when they designed the system, it was based on TrackIR users. They just need to look down slightly to find the red dot.

As to WCG's question: You either use the crosshair that appears in UGL fire mode, or the red dot sight on the side of the weapon (not hte one on top).

I must be blind, because I still don't see a red dot (though I know the sight you're talking about), but I get most of that, I think. My problem was a combination of being hopeless at estimating distances and expecting the gun barrel to point towards the target. I'll try that NUM 0 stuff the next time I'm in the game, since I really don't know what you're talking about. But I'll experiment.

Either way, I may not be able to hit anything, but at least I know why I'm missing now. :)

Thanks much!