Sign in to follow this  
Kettlewell

AI spotting

I've been playing Arma 3 alpha and I have noticed the AI to be so much better but I had one issue.

There was an npc on a mountain 1km away, they had me zeroed in behind trees, inside of houses, behind grass, they just would NOT give up.

Is this a known bug?

That's a highly unhelpful and imprecise observation.

I can watch target from 1000m too, and when I see them run behind bushes and into houses, I shoot at that damn house. How can you prove they actually saw you through objects?

Had some kind of similar problem with the AI until I noticed that their skill was set to veteran :rolleyes:

That's a highly unhelpful and imprecise observation.

I can watch target from 1000m too, and when I see them run behind bushes and into houses, I shoot at that damn house. How can you prove they actually saw you through objects?

Basically I was behind cover constantly remaining behind houses, going inside of houses and behind all kinds of cover without breaking to give him LOS but he was hitting me and near me constantly.

Unless you can see through buildings, trees, bushes and follow a target then I highly doubt you could do what the AI did.

But it is easy to spray a bush or tree and get hits. And bullets don't go through houses, so how could he hit your through larger objects?

And Stratis has such sparse foliage; were there really no gaps? Were there other AI spotting for him?

If he did spot you initially and you then went for good solid cover, then they still assume you're there. If you spawned behind solid cover, then it is another matter

I'm trying to grab a video of the same NPC from the same mission with hopes that I can show you how this was happening.

and it was a KM away?? The one thing I hate about arma is the god awful super accurate one hit kill you AI - please tell me this got fixed...

1000m? That's an extremely gross overexaggeration mate.

Most rifles have effective range of 300-400. And AI definitely can't tell enemy from friendly even that far.

AIs also don't see you through stuff but they do track your movement. If you run behind something AI will project where you run according to your movement speed.

If you want to see how AI sees launch Infantry Showcase. That red square is how they track enemies. You can see it moving even when an enemy ran behind a bush or a house, often ending up exactly on top of him when he emerges from behind said concealment.

They will also shoot through bushes because that's a right thing to do.

My problem is, the OPFOR ai seems to recognize me insanely fast when I stand up, it seemed very unrealistic to me, but I have to observe this and write down surroundings/distances etc. before I feel like reporting it.

It also depends on the difficulty setting. At 0.6 killing them is effortless but close to 1.0 they are made to be really really good at shooting.

This is actually an OK way since there can be players for whom even 0.9 AI is not a challenge.

That's why we have difficulty settings. Think AI is too hard? Lower that slider. Nothing wrong with it.

My ego demands 1.0 anything less and my Johnson size goes down. :D

OP keep an eye out for ASR_AI and TPWCAS, they may make your firefights more enjoyable but unfortunately you must understand proper positioning is key overall or you will die no matter the difficulty.