Sign in to follow this  
freakjoe

Is there anything new to laying down roads on a map?

Hello there,

as there isn't a special "Terrain" Forum for ArmA 3 yet, I thought this would be the best place to ask.

So, while browsing through the new content I found this file in the stratis PBO :

"RoadsLib.cfg"

class RoadTypesLibrary
{
   class Road0001
   {
    width = 14;
    mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_highway_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
    mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_highway_end_ca.paa";
    mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_highway.rvmat";
    map             = "main road";
    AIpathOffset = 3;
   };
   class Road0002
   { 
 width = 10;
    mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_road_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
    mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_road_end_ca.paa";
    mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_road.rvmat";
    map             = "road";
    AIpathOffset = 2.5;
   };
   class Road0003
   {
 width = 10;
    mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_road_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
    mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_road_end_ca.paa";
    mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_road.rvmat";
    map             = "track";
    AIpathOffset = 2.5;
   };	
class Road0004
   {
 width = 10;
    mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadconcrete_city_road_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
    mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadconcrete_city_road_end_ca.paa";
    mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadconcrete_city_road.rvmat";
    AIpathOffset = 2.5;
   };
class Road0005
   {
 width = 7;
    mainStrTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path_ca.paa";  // lowercase!
    mainTerTex      = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path_end_ca.paa";
    mainMat         = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roaddirt_path.rvmat";
    AIpathOffset = 2;	 
   };
};

and then in the Stratis config I found this :

newRoadsShape = "\A3\Map_Stratis\data\roads\roads.shp";

I was wondering if that means that there is something new you have to worry about when creating a map and laying down roads.

If anyone can help me understand this, I'd appreciate it.

Just going to use this for some Feeback aswell, from what I've seen so far the game is simply amazing! There are to be honest not as many bugs as I would've imagined and I've only enjoyed the game so far.

Thanks for any answers in advance,

FreakJoe

yeah it seems like there's alot to the the map system that is new/changed. It appears you import terrain normals along with the satmap and mask now. Don't think we will be able to enjoy the new stuff till updated tools, i'd hazard a guess and say you can still use buildings/foilage from a3 the old way for the meantime, roads are going to be an issue unless you repack the old roads into your map placed via road painter in Arma2. On the bright side, this hopefully means inbuilt road tools!

Well, damn.

I was like : "Hey I should start work on a new map with all of these sweet new objects." and now this.

I just hope they release the new tools soon now :-(

Thanks for your response though.

yes there is new road system in arma3

simple description

create config (mentioned above)

create polylines where roads should be and assigne road type and priority

export polylines, and in buldozer run this command //community.bistudio.com/wiki/buldozer_LoadNewRoads

nothing special but save a lot of time and new roads are more precise and of course you dont need hundereds of road models.

Thank you for your response Peetrs.

Firstly, I'd like to ask you where you have that information from.

Secondly, where exactly are we supposed to create "polylines" and how do you run commands in buldozer?

If that's really how it works, let me say : YEES!

I haven't been working on maps for that long but that's just going to make stuff so much easier!

Edited by FreakJoe

hello, I`m from map dev team :)

you can create polylines in visitor (sory, I dont know which version of visitor have comunity available, but in our visitor polyline is just type of vector shape)

in buldozer we have available dev console, where commands can be run.

not sure what plans are about tools for community.

small note. new way in objects placing is implemented as well (more visual aproach)

Ah, I see.

Sadly, all those features don't seem to be available in the community version of the tools :-(.

Thanks for your answers anyway.

Ah, I see..A3 is using SHAPEFILES:

?di=013627302545

(I used Global Mapper to open roads.shp in A3/map_stratis/data/roads)

This gives some hope regarding the new tools (sounds like a Visitor 4 feature), especially regarding realistic terrain because Open Street Map road data is available for free...

:cool:

Edited by ZeroG

Ah, I see..A3 is using SHAPEFILES:

http://www.imagesup.net/?di=013627302545

(I used Global Mapper to open roads.shp in A3/map_stratis/data/roads)

This gives some hope regarding the new tools (sounds like a Visitor 4 feature), especially regarding realistic terrain because Open Street Map road data is available for free...

:cool:

In the VBS2 tools there is an application (LandBuilder) that can import shapefiles into Visitor3/4. Any form of map data can be converted (e.g. from GlobalMapper) into vector data. Very cool and useful to achieve fast results.

Jens

@OChristie: Well, when I download coordinate corresponding WMS tiles (from Open Street Maps for example), I get only ocean tiles and no island :confused:

Here is the metadata of roads.shp:

FILENAME=Arma 3\Addons\map_stratis_data\a3\map_stratis\data\roads\roads.shp

DESCRIPTION=roads.shp

AREA COUNT=0

LINE COUNT=72

LINE VERTEX COUNT=1824

POINT COUNT=0

UPPER LEFT X=201712.032

UPPER LEFT Y=6923.532

LOWER RIGHT X=206601.262

LOWER RIGHT Y=610.711

WEST LONGITUDE=0° 19' 13.2375" E

NORTH LATITUDE=0° 03' 45.2615" N

EAST LONGITUDE=0° 21' 51.2497" E

SOUTH LATITUDE=0° 00' 19.8692" N

PROJ_DESC=Transverse Mercator / WGS84 / meters

PROJ_DATUM=WGS84

PROJ_UNITS=meters

COVERED AREA=30.865 sq km

@Jens: Indeed, Visitor 4 is the thing we all should hope for. Especially realistic maps will be done in no time then!

Got Arma 3 working as Buldozer

http://puu.sh/2iu5I

create your steam_appid.txt file with only this inside 107410 and place it in the root of your arma 3.

create batch file with these contents

subst P: /d

subst p: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3"

Got Arma 3 working as Buldozer

http://puu.sh/2iu5I

create your steam_appid.txt file with only this inside 107410 and place it in the root of your arma 3.

create batch file with these contents

subst P: /d

subst p: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3"

Doesn't that change your P drive to that folder? Isn't that undesirable? I believe they found a better way where you just copy over a few files and the problem is solved.

I have an updated process, where you do that. Moving your P drive is fine. I have my Arma 2 stuff on the Q drive and everything for a3 on p: We are working on the process to clean it up.