Sign in to follow this  
Nikoteen

Weird trick to gain FPS with Vsync ON

I've played like many with the graphic settings to achieve best performance/quality ratio and I've experienced strange effect with performance lately.

First, I have a program called d3doverrider because I like to keep Vsync to avoid tearing and that program enforces triple buffering to limit FPS loss. I had to disable it because it prevents the program from launching (black screen).

I have noticed the FPS are way higher without Vsync, something not that usual with my others games.

But I find a way to obtain good framerate WITH Vsync ON :

I launch the game normally, then start a game and it stutters hard :(

So I make a ALT-TAB to desktop then back to game, and here you are : framerate feels like augmented of 15-20 FPS.

Don't know what produce such behavior, but that actually works for me so... I wanted to share that with you and maybe obtain explanation from a dev :rolleyes:

Edit : My Rig details in case of

GTX560 Ti OC / 16 Gb DDR3 / Core i7 720 3.5 Ghz / SSD Harddrive

Settings : mix of Very High and High / FXAA 4X High / PP High / AF Very High / DL Very High

Edited by NikoTeen

I hope there'll be tripple buffering in the final version. I also use d3doverider to enforce it with my 5870. Radeon pro doesn't work it seems. Without tripple buffering + vsync fps is either 30 or 60, which sucks. Arma2 had it so why not Arma3?

I hope there'll be tripple buffering in the final version. I also use d3doverider to enforce it with my 5870. Radeon pro doesn't work it seems. Without tripple buffering + vsync fps is either 30 or 60, which sucks. Arma2 had it so why not Arma3?

Did you try my trick to see if your FPS stabilize ?

Yes, I tried it at the start of the infantry showcase. I'm not sure if I saw a difference, maybe it was a little smoother, but same fps.

* arma 2/oa/a3 buffering system is different to normal double buffering so forcing triple buffering may result into unforseen consequences

instead try in arma3.cfg change

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

to value to 2 of 1 (3 is driver default and 0 equals 3), it will help with mouse responsiveness but remember it might decrease fps

Thanks for reply, Dwarden. I will check that and comment later :)

Any idea on the outcome of doing ALT-TAB for the game engine ? This isn't a flush command, but it really does some changes...

Edited by NikoTeen

Well i actually noticed that when i had everything on ULTRA ULTRA my game was working on 30-45 FPS BUT... it wasnt Looking good at all, When i switched all on VERY HIGH game ofc was working faster but also was looking much more better :( so i dont understand how on lower details something can look better :D

Becuase of higher PP settings on ultra resulting in increased blur to the entire scene. Set everything but PP on Ultra and PP to very low. You'll notice that sharpness is increased.

* arma 2/oa/a3 buffering system is different to normal double buffering so forcing triple buffering may result into unforseen consequences

instead try in arma3.cfg change

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

to value to 2 of 1 (3 is driver default and 0 equals 3), it will help with mouse responsiveness but remember it might decrease fps

Thanks for the reply Dwarden. So, double or tripple buffering is not something we should expect in Arma3 then? I'll try your suggestion. Btw, I already have frames to render ahead to 0 (flip queue size) with Radeon pro, but I'll try and set it in arma3.cfg instead.

edit: GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1 seemed to fix it, fps now isn't fixed to 30 or 60 anymore as it was before without d3doverrider Thanks.

Edited by Zorg_DK

Tried the alt tab thing, gained an extra 5-13 fps in urban areas. Oddly, v-sync, on or off, has no effect on my fps. Really, only AA affects it.

Just tried it and setting GPU_MaxFramesAhead to 1 really helped, now I get up to 40 FPS on high/ultra settings :)

Btw, is Vsync disabled by default? If not, how can I disable it?