Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Strange observance; AI walking through objects/buildings?

I just saw some AI walk straight through a car?

Is this normal, a la BIS bug, or a badly made addon?

I just tested my own building. It seems fine, and you can tell AI to go inside to path points etc, but when you want them to go past the building, they just walk through it like it has no GEOlod lol..?

...a slight immersion breaker lol..!

Gnat;2290690']Probably missing VIEW GEOMETRY

Are you sure ? I always thought this lod was intended to block AI view, not his pathfinding calculations :confused:

I have viewgeo, firegeo, paths,roadwaylod, shadowlod,geo, everything in place, it all works. Are there some classes orvsomething you need to put in geo?

Again, you seem to want to invent everything from absolute scratch. Open a BIS sample building and mimic everything you see.

In Fire, Geo and View LODs;

Structures->Topology->Find Components

Geo LOD properties

CLASS = house

@ProfTournesol

If the AI can't see it (they dont see the Res LODs) then they won't avoid it. My line of logic anyway

Aye, I've already done that Gnat, but they're still walking through it on occasions..?

The object works with the AI though, like I can order them to go inside to posxx etc, and they use it for cover in fights, but if it's in their way when they're walking somewhere, they'll just drift through it like ghosts?

Well, i'd say this a a common RV problem, i've seen this on several occasions. I doubt that it's related to your model.

thanks Prof- at least that's some comfort lol..! ;)

Aye, I've noticed it a few times now tbh, and with other addons from others. Bit of a shame though...

Has anyone else seen AI doing this?

All lods are in place, working and the AI can use the buildings, but very rarely just walk right through it lol.

Has anyone else seen AI doing this?

All lods are in place, working and the AI can use the buildings, but very rarely just walk right through it lol.

AI have always occasionally walked through the stock walls and fences in Arma2/OA. There are numerous tickets in the CIT, but i'm not sure if any are currently open.

IIRC, AI men do not have collision volumes so they can't get stuck somewhere stupid. But if they are always walking through your buildings like they aren't there, possibly your buildings are missing a validated lod / pathway or other thing. If it happens occasionally, it's normal.

AI do have collision volumes, as you can bump into them. Or do i misunderstand ?

Edited by ProfTournesol

It was established many moons ago that geometry lods were not drawn when 50 meters beyond a players camera

This may no longer be the case but back then ai pathways were essential for continuity on large scale maps .

This maybe obsolete information however could still apply today as it always did :)

It was established many moons ago that geometry lods were not drawn when 50 meters beyond a players camera

This may no longer be the case but back then ai pathways were essential for continuity on large scale maps .

This maybe obsolete information however could still apply today as it always did :)

Didn't know that i must say.

AI do have collision volumes, as you can bump into them. Or do i misunderstand ?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but IIRC the AI men units don't take them into account when they are moving. They avoid walking through things but there is nothing physically preventing them from doing so on their side.

Worth adding, ive seen this happen within 10 meters from me.

As far as i can tell, my addon is correct, geolods have four named selections too etc

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but IIRC the AI men units don't take them into account when they are moving. They avoid walking through things but there is nothing physically preventing them from doing so on their side.

Oh, ok so i misunderstood. AI isn't aware of its own geo lod, that's true.

Worth adding, ive seen this happen within 10 meters from me.

That can be a few things depending on scenario

1. roadway lod is incorrect in model

2. when testing you plonked it on a map in editor near a Path or roadway and Ai followed the Net

3. your Pathway lod is incorect and a misplace In point or any point is beyond geometry

4. mass is wrong in geo lod and or View Geometry is no good

5. unlikely but BIS introduced something to stop warping some time ago for Mp ,it is some kind of priotiy , is this object important for the network or something , i have seen this affect AI in MPand collision but never in SP editor scenario .

time for Pictures of Lods and configs i think :)