Sign in to follow this  
ArmaIInoobATM

"144 Groups per side supported" I have about six!? Please help

I am continuously reminded when attempting to Preview or play my mission online that "Only 144 groups per side are supported" However, my mission contains only about six groups at the maximum, with only a small number of AI players, so WTH?

Even when I place one individual unit extra and it then it comes up with the same message, when I then delete that unit, it still stays I've got too many units/groups.

It's happened quite a few times but the last time it happened I have ended up having to delete like half the OPFOR in my mission and I'm still not allowed to preview it or play it online. I have even tried ungrouping everyone and also removing unnecessary waypoints, but it it isn't working!

Does anyone have any idea why this keeps happening? As aforementioned, I must stress I definitely don't have a lot of units or groups so I can find no explanation to this strange occurance - please help!

J

Do you have dynamic group creation at some point? Or only editor groups?

I am asking this, because created groups don't get deleted while the mission runs unless they are deleted explicitly. So even though you HAVE 1 unit in 1 group, but you HAD like 143 (undeleted) groups previously, you'll get this error.

A little debug script, which will output the number of groups:

null = [] spawn {hint str (count allGroups);};

and this will output the name of the groups:

null = [] spawn {hint str (allGroups);};

put one or the other to the player's init line, and start the mission somehow. :)

Edited by zapat

It indeed can be a pain, i remember runnign into this similar situation with OFP, but instead of having 500 AI on the map at once, why dont

you have a small number of allowed Ai, and then as they get killed spawn in the rest, use a respawn script where you have AI patrolling and then you'd run into them.

thing is if you dont see all of the AI at once then why have a ton of them, i mean what is that many AI actually doing other then hogging your CPU power,

or are you creating an all out huge war where you want them all to fight each other?

Do you have dynamic group creation at some point? Or only editor groups?

I am asking this, because created groups don't get deleted while the mission runs unless they are deleted explicitly. So even though you HAVE 1 unit in 1 group, but you HAD like 143 (undeleted) groups previously, you'll get this error.

A little debug script, which will output the number of groups:

null = [] spawn {hint str (count allGroups);};

and this will output the name of the groups:

null = [] spawn {hint str (allGroups);};

put one or the other to the player's init line, and start the mission somehow. :)

I've done both, I know I spawned in a patrol or whatever from 'Groups' but then I ungrouped them to send each individual soldier into a building or on their on route etc. I also spawned individual units at points too.

Thanks for the advice.

Still though, I'm certain I never had over 143 -or anywhere near over 100 for that matter- groups, I don't have that many units.

@Gunter

The AI are either patrolling around a field or they're just on a rooftop / inside a building.

There is also one convoy of four vehicles (M113, some truck to transport troops, UAZ DsHKM and Special Military Offroad)

So yeah there are no AI fighting each other in a huge war.

As for this respawn script, I wouldn't know what to do or what to search for to find out how, but it isn't a very intensive mission anyway, at least, I seem to have the same performance as usual running on the same settings.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I have even tried ungrouping everyone

Me thinks that you failed into a trap. We understand a "group" as a bunch of people. In A2, already a single unit is considered a group since A2 handles the AI on group level. So a single static gun with a gunner is a group. A vehicle driving around is a group, even if there is only a driver in it. So with ungrouping you created even more groups instead of reducing groups.

Please check you mission again with this in mind.

Don't forget that single game logics also count as groups, just like single units. If you have a lot of logics, combine them into larger groups.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

As Myke pointed out, every vehicle you place, each AI in the vehicle is counted, so if you have a tank with a crew of 3,

thats 3 AI added to the 144 number, and a squad of tanks if it were 4 tanks, thats 12 Ai right there.

As for this respawn script, I wouldn't know what to do or what to search for to find out how

What you can do for those Ai that are patrolling is use a script like this:

AI respawn group patrol area using UPS

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6540

You basically setup your infantry squad, put the code in the leaders init line, and then place a marker somewhere where you want

them to patrol,a dn a marker where you want them to respawn.

You can do the same for vehicles:

AI vehicle respawn patrol area using UPS

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6543

Same as above just a vehicle now.

When infantry or vehicle get destroyed you can setup how long before they respawn and the group respawns after

their all killed within a certain amount of time, works in sp and mp.

As Myke pointed out, every vehicle you place, each AI in the vehicle is counted, so if you have a tank with a crew of 3,

thats 3 AI added to the 144 number, and a squad of tanks if it were 4 tanks, thats 12 Ai right there.

Not entirely true unless you've placed a empty vehicle and added the crew manually. When placing a manned vehicle, the crew is grouped by default. So one vehicle equals one group, regardless how many crew members there are.

Hmm, I've known it to be that each AI was considered one even counting vehicles, or tanks, dont know where i read it but I've understood it to be that way since Arma1, maybe before that, i forget.