Sign in to follow this  
frostshazzy

Will BI planning any thing like DEMO version for Arma3?

BI made it clear they're going for a much more stable and better performing release version (and tested with community alpha). If there's a good stable release version they might as well make a demo. I always play demo's before I buy a game at full price, although if the community alpha's last version is good that'll serve as a demo for me.

Being stable had little to do with why the A2 demo was so bad. Even if the game had been perfect at launch, the demo was still a very poor exhibition of what the game is all about. Tiny island, low res textures, combined with limited content (which is standard with any demo). Also, you never would want to play any sort of Alpha as a demo. You'd drop said game and run the other direction like your boots were on fire :cool:. Hell you'd barely want to play a beta version. We just need a good A3 demo, that represents what the game is all about... but just a small taste.

IMHO

well the content of demo itself was good (way higher than avg game demo), I always consider the biggest problem of demo being :

- separate branch (needs separate engine fixes and updating process)

- separate content (needs separate content fixes, packing and updating process)

- multiplayer incompatible with full game

such demo falls behind quickly in quality in terms of what could be improved in patches and offers no overall gain to the MP pool of players

in the end that demo become burden for development (timesink) which is abandoned by both developers and gamers as they read on forums (ignore that obsolete demo)

yet

if demo can be updated in sync with full version and even support beta engine builds inbetween normal updates, it might offer good insight on the game

if DEMO is allowed (server side option for admins ofcourse) to play with FULL version, then everyone benefits from unified player base

there is much more what could be done with demo alike (e.g. use F2P approach instead of demo) and yes I fully agree that our demos in past could be better ;)

IMHO

well the content of demo itself was good (way higher than avg game demo), I always consider the biggest problem of demo being :

- separate branch (needs separate engine fixes and updating process)

- separate content (needs separate content fixes, packing and updating process)

- multiplayer incompatible with full game

such demo falls behind quickly in quality in terms of what could be improved in patches and offers no overall gain to the MP pool of players

in the end that demo become burden for development (timesink) which is abandoned by both developers and gamers as they read on forums (ignore that obsolete demo)

yet

if demo can be updated in sync with full version and even support beta engine builds inbetween normal updates, it might offer good insight on the game

if DEMO is allowed (server side option for admins ofcourse) to play with FULL version, then everyone benefits from unified player base

there is much more what could be done with demo alike (e.g. use F2P approach instead of demo) and yes I fully agree that our demos in past could be better ;)

Hi Dwarden. With all do respect, you cant sit here and say the Arma2 demo was "good". It was really, beyond bad. Myself & many others, whom I played the demo with, would have never touched the full game based on the demo || if we weren't log time fans already.

you cant sit here and say the Arma2 demo was "good".

Neither did he. He said the content was good.

I discovered OFP thanks to a friend of mine.

Then I sold my AvP 2 game to buy OFP and played it all over again.

So, I never played the demo.

However, it's just a thought, but for ArmA 3, is it possible for BI to release a SP mission with a "lite" showcase, so that we can have a taste about the new equipement, the AI etc...

I really don't know how dev. in general work, but a small SP mission wouldn't be too hard to create and update if needed.

What do you guys think about it?

Edited by Wiki

Even tho the ArmA demo's may have felt a lil clumsy, I still enjoyed being able to at least get my feet wet.

The 1st "new feature" I seen that sticks in my mind, was being able to swap vehicle positions...and not having to get out of it. We were able to test many new features.

All players being able to hear a vehicles horn, was my fav.

I myself would gladly test A3 at this point..and not complain of flaws!

Neither did he. He said the content was good.

There I fixed it. :p

you cant sit here and say the Arma2 demo content was "good". It was really, beyond bad.

IMHO I don't think we'll need a demo. Most people who are already into the game will buy A3 anyway. For those who want to get into the series, they can get the ArmA2-lite version and get a feeling for the game - either you like the realism, tactic, slow-pace and free approach or you don't. ArmA3 will be, what it has to be: A sequel of the game itself - with a lot more features of course :yay: (otherwise it would be called different).

Devs, don't waste time on a demo - improve the game. ;)

Btw: I also played "Steal the car" over and over, but I don't need this in the future to be sure the money isn't well invested.

Atleast make an Alpha version that will be available for 1-2 weeks, so we can test the game and see if we are going to buy it!

Atleast make an Alpha version that will be available for 1-2 weeks, so we can test the game and see if we are going to buy it!

Just to clarify, Alpha and Beta versions generally aren't meant to be demos even when released to the general public. There should be some sort of disclaimer about that before playing any Beta, even though it does give you good insight of game content, if not exactly glitch management.

yeah, that's why I said a small SP mission with some stuff to try may be a good idea.

not too big, quite easy to update, just an "avant-goût" for us to see how it looks like.

watching screens and video is absolutely not the same as playing a game

I can't believe that some people don't want a demo.

I agree, when done well demos can decide a lot of sales. And providing them discredits the "I pirated before buying to see if it's any good" crowd, as well.

IMO, the demo should include a singleplayer scenario, maybe an excerpt from early in the campaign, one coop and one PvP mission and perhaps some limited editor functionality. All the important features of Arma, basically.

It should be added that the alpha/hypothetical-beta are not meant to be representative of what Arma 3 will be like on release, but rather they're meant to shape what Arma 3 would be like on release... this isn't a BF3/Gears of War 3 beta! :P

It should be added that the alpha/hypothetical-beta are not meant to be representative of what Arma 3 will be like on release...

Ofcourse not. I don't get why everyone wants to play an alpha or early beta anyhow. I know I can do without the headaches. I'm content with A2 until A3 hits the shelves. Plus, I already know what to expect from BI. It's not like they stray too far away from the games/franchise's essence from title to title. So any alpha or beta isn't needed for me :)

Ofcourse not. I don't get why everyone wants to play an alpha or early beta anyhow. I know I can do without the headaches.
It seems that for some people the alpha and beta would be a "gear check" of the "how well does it run?" sort, which is also useful to BI as far as "how well did we program this?", in lieu of a conventional demo.

Well an alpha certainly isn't a reliable "measuring stick". Though your points are still valid. I think alot just want the alpha to be able to actually play the game and just don't realize what they're actually asking for. Then again.. some do.

The A1 demo was one actually a hell of a lot'o fun. I have a little doubt that says there won't be an alpha any more, maybe it was seeing the local Electronics Boutique store advertising pre-orders. Sceptically I held off as I thought I'd hear it first here. Though I suppose there would be no harm in laying down the money anyway