Sign in to follow this  
frostshazzy

Different Camo for soldier In Arma3?

This looks promising. I agree with the point about the friendly fire though, and joining an MP game with everyone wearing a different uniform and camouflage pattern would be... Odd, to me.

I don't mean to create turmoil in a thread as peaceful as this one, but I think that stealing uniforms, which had been confirmed earlier for the game, was removed and that might somehow affect camos and in-depth visual customization. I think I read that in an interview in armaholic. Perhaps you guys are already taking that into account, in which case my reply would be meaningless, but otherwise, I'm just trying to warn you not to get over-hyped about camouflages.

I don't mean to create turmoil in a thread as peaceful as this one, but I think that stealing uniforms, which had been confirmed earlier for the game, was removed and that might somehow affect camos and in-depth visual customization.

Care to elaborate? How can that affect what we are discussing? Don't create false rumours please.

Care to elaborate? How can that affect what we are discussing? Don't create false rumours please.
What was heard was this:
Q: Can the player steal the uniforms of other dead players in multiplayer?

Dan: We decided to limit this only to uniforms affiliated with a player's side. Although we were considering allowing the player to don any uniform at the start of development, it appeared that such generality would bring some very complex issues with AI and multiplayer rules. Also, it is against the Geneva Convention.

I believe that DnA has yet to weigh in as to whether or not things have changed from this statement by his predecesssor.

What was heard was this:I believe that DnA has yet to weigh in as to whether or not things have changed from this statement by his predecesssor.

Again I dont see how that correlates. Maybe its just me.

Again I dont see how that correlates. Maybe its just me.
It certainly seems to be what FredTche was reading -- his speculation seems to be that somehow uniform switching becoming "same faction-only" might somehow imply that the devs are also narrowing the extent of uniform customization.

One thing is taking an enemy uniform - that probably won't be possible outside the campaign.

Another thing is the pattern chosen for an uniform; One more box in the editor menu instead of the clusterfuck of "Man; Man (Desert); Man (Woodland)".

It certainly seems to be what FredTche was reading -- his speculation seems to be that somehow uniform switching becoming "same faction-only" might somehow imply that the devs are also narrowing the extent of uniform customization.

Let us not speculate on that please, until game footage actually demonstrates there is a change.

What was heard was this:I believe that DnA has yet to weigh in as to whether or not things have changed from this statement by his predecesssor.

This probably won't change, as the statement is correct (US wont violate the laws of land warfare so they wont steal enemy uniforms). But, this definitely wont affect camo patterns, which will most likely be taken care of by use of hiddenSelections, which most certainly work for infantry as well as vehicles and aircraft.

Edited by antoineflemming

The interview quoted by Master Sargeant Chortles was exactly the one I was thinking of; however, I had read it long ago and didn't remember the part that says, "We decided to limit this only to uniforms affiliated with a player's side"; therefore, I thought uniforms could have been removed because of the issues stated by Dan in the interview. I'm glad uniforms haven't been removed but, thanks to Chortles, now we know that they have been limited to each warring side in the game, and as Chortle later stated -

- the extent of uniform customization has in fact been narrowed to Blufor, Redfor, Independent and Civilian sides. Furthermore, the risk of increased friendly fire which was feared by previous thread responders will certainly not be as likely with uniform side limiting. Edited by FredTche
read ISemiI's reply to the thread and realized I could improve my response.

The interview quoted by Master Sargeant Chortles was exactly the one I was thinking of; however, I had read it long ago and didn't remember the part that says, "We decided to limit this only to uniforms affiliated with a player's side"; therefore, I thought uniforms could have been removed because of the issues stated by Dan in the interview. I'm glad uniforms haven't been removed but, thanks to Chortles, now we know that they have been limited to each warring side in the game, and as Chortle later stated - - the extent of uniform customization has in fact been narrowed to Blufor, Redfor, Independent and Civilian sides. Furthermore, the risk of increased friendly fire which was feared by previous thread responders will certainly not be as likely with uniform side limiting.

The most sensible way would be to let disguising and faction restricted uniforms be a choice for mission makers. I've only heard about disguising at will being scrapped from the game because of AI (probably gullibility) problems (Aside from certain campaign missions?). (Perhaps you can still cosmetically disguise and perhaps fool live players but AI will know your side regardless of gear by default).

All in all I'm against this "no fun allowed" attitude being enforced by armchair generals regarding what can and can't be done. Choice should be available and I don't understand how some people never realise that everyone would get exactly what they want simply by making it a choice.

Edited by Helari

Hi, AFAIK it's banned to use NME camo, the pattern, entire uniform or single uniform pieces for the regular infantry; other than in maniouvers to take the role of guerrilla or in training exercises for "catch Wally" between a group of suppossed detainees. The SFs and commands can break this rule for specific operations. Also... no one gonna blame you if you fall alone behind the NME lines and you've to steal and wear an NME uniform to return to your side of table, IRC... the last time that this happened "officialy" was on the WWII, but im not sure on this point.

Now on the game... could be confusing in certain PvP modes if you could choose any uniform or pattern, NME ones included, but in COOP aswell as in SP... it could be an usefull resource if well and propperly used in the hands of the missions makers; i guess that for technical reasons would be better to bann this, to prevent certain hacks and sh*t like that.

Back to the RL... IRL, some times your officers or subofficers allow you to use very few custom and/or even NME equipment, but never uniform pieces and also small stupid things that could be taken by the NME as trophys in case of be captured, as this would (most likely) lead to your torture and execution; it's something that they use to restrict very hardly, but... as we all know... there's alot of freak between the officers and subofficers... so if you've the bad luck of fall under the command of a psycho or a weirdo... well.. bad luck man!. For technical reasons in game, i see logical to restrict or bann the use of NME uniforms, uniform pieces or just the pattern. Let's C ya