Sign in to follow this  
kualus

ArmA 2 + Mods As Realistic and Immersive as SB Pro PE?

Hello,

I've played the armored warfare simulator Steel Beasts Pro PE for years, but have gotten sick of the rotten community and am looking at ArmA 2 for my vehicle fix. My question to you is: When augmented with mods, is ArmA 2 as realistic and immersive for vehicular combat as Steel Beasts Pro PE?

Have you searched youtube for corresponding vids?

I never played Steel Beasts Pro so I can't give an information by experience. But I know that the forums hold every information needed for a good start.

Have you searched youtube for corresponding vids?

I never played Steel Beasts Pro so I can't give an information by experience. But I know that the forums hold every information needed for a good start.

Yes, and I am aware of A.C.E. The thing is, I didn't find anything that helped answer my question, on Youtube or in searching this sub-section of the forum, though I know there's a Steel Beasts topic elsewhere.

Your answer would be no. If your game that you played is MBT simulation, this is not really what youre looking for. More kinda all in one military sim, but fail badly with vehicles. You may try playing Arma2 ( get it for free A2F ) and see for yourself. ACE is good mod, and is hardening it a bit, but its still not what youre looking for. I might be wrong.

Good luck.

Thanks for letting me know. I'd rant about the Steel Beasts Pro PE community, but I don't think you would want to hear about them. If I'm wrong about that, let me know.

Check this: ArmA 2 OA/ACE Kampfpanzer Tutorial (german)

Too bad NoWonderDog's FCS mod didn't make into ArmA2. ACE is OK I guess, but, well, it requires entire ACE to run.

If you wonder how "tanking" looks like in ACE you can check Rolling Thunder series on youtube

Edited by boota

If you have the money, VBS2 simulates tanks better than arma. You can't click on the tanks interior, but you can use tank joysticks pretty well. By the way how good is steel beasts pro? Might shell out money for it.

ArmA is more infantry focused. Of course no real warfare happens without vehicles so they are in the game too.

It's kinda like infantry and choppers aren't simulated well in SB Pro PE

About VBS2 comment - vehicle simulation is only marginally better (due to PhysX which is coming to ArmA3) but fire control systems are nowhere near as detailed as in SB

Get ACE. It will make ArmA2 as realistic as possible but it's infantry focused as well (and it does a lot in that regard) although vehicles get some love as well.

Edited by metalcraze

If you have the money, VBS2 simulates tanks better than arma. You can't click on the tanks interior, but you can use tank joysticks pretty well. By the way how good is steel beasts pro? Might shell out money for it.
It's good, very good. It has issues with a certain unfixed bug and vaporware, but those are forgivable. Its graphics engine is dated, but I like the way it looks, and a new graphics engine is due with the next version in June of next year. Even now, the engine could look worse. Some of the vehicles do have at least partially clickable cockpits (CV 9030/35/Strv 122/Leo 2A4). It can be played with a mouse just fine, and I have no issue. The community, that's another story. The virtual units themselves are alright, but the community in general, I'd rather not talk about it.
ArmA is more infantry focused. Of course no real warfare happens without vehicles so they are in the game too.

It's kinda like infantry and choppers aren't simulated well in SB Pro PE

About VBS2 comment - vehicle simulation is only marginally better (due to PhysX which is coming to ArmA3) but fire control systems are nowhere near as detailed as in SB

Get ACE. It will make ArmA2 as realistic as possible but it's infantry focused as well (and it does a lot in that regard) although vehicles get some love as well.

Thanks for the advice. I'm considering ArmA2, but will wait a while to let me clear my head.