Sign in to follow this  
Tex -USMC-

Interested in getting america's army?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ July 04 2002,10:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PS: Its the 4th here, so Happy 4th everyone! Lets blow some shit up! Fireworks that is... tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

how about BMPs? biggrin.gif

Nah, fuck trying to play tonight. Their entire server is taking a giant crap right now. It seems like every single person in the entire US is trying to register lol... How could they not see that coming? I can see the press release now... "-due to unexpected popularity, several US army servers running the new promotional game Americas Army: Recon, burst into flames, causing half of Fort Benning's office complex to be burnt down. The Pentagon spokesman, a Marine Colonel, was quoted as saying: 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Colonel Forest owes me a case of beer! Hell yeah!'"

lol

They should have leased yahoo's world-cup servers for the task smile.gif

Anyway, I'll try the game when I get bored. Right now OFP:R is the subject of my attention.

Insane. The friggin registration service doesnt work. Ive tried it about oh 10 times now, and not one single email have I received. Jeez

The aiming process itself is a bit more complicated than in OFP; breathing is simulated and you need to concentrate on the shooting rhytmus for targets farther away and for every round to hit, especially from the standing unsupported position.

While prone beeing easier to shoot from, standing and crouched positions are something that requires some practise for precision shooting, weapons can also jam (not in the training mission though).

I suppose those misses i had in training (didn´t managed to get a full 40 yet) would have been spot on in OFP.

Running&gunning in this game is unlikely to work, as you wouldn´t probably hit anything that is further away than 100m without using iron sights properly.

Regarding shooting simulated by software (i think we can agree it will never be realistic), i´m afraid to say, OFP is easier to handle for me.

The animations are looking great; reload animations, jam clearing etc are displayed in great attention to detail.

Sound is well made, visuals- well it´s the new unreal engine, i hardly get more than 20 fps with my system and everything set to max image quality, but it looks great, viewing distance is also acceptable.

For me definitely a keeper, cheerio to US tax payers biggrin.gif.

When can you download the full version? I won't bother if it's only a demo so far.

Also, when will they release the Al Quaida expansion pack? biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif , the "OPFOR" should already look Al Queada like, but who knows what they have in mind for expansion of the game.

this version of the game is slightly stripped down, mission- and functionality wise, i assume they had to meet their deadline (4th July) but didn´t manage to get everything in they wanted, hence the "Recon" version that features some basic stuff.

I think in later upgrades the different infantry schools as promised will follow, new single player missions, more functionality etc.

They also wrote about vehicles in later updates, they are currently checking and probing possibities to implement them.

I really laughed my ass of when I heard that you can't play the OPFOR, but that you always play the American side. The other team sees you as the enemy and you see them as the enemy as well.

If the aiming and shooting are as well simulated as Satchel says then the CS kiddies are in for a nasty surprise. smile.gif

The game could suffer from the lack of a good target audience. Dumb people will be disappointed that it is impossible to runa and bunny-jump at the same time while shooting somebody at a range of 500 m. Smart people will stick to flashpoint in the long run biggrin.gif

You can actually jump, but you won´t hit anything while doing this i guess, also the "running" speed is rather slow (slower than OFP), you can choose between 2 modes there.

Edit: You can choose between 3 modes, double tapping the forward key allows for sprinting, but you cannot fire the weapon while doing this.

Also did anyone look at the file formats? is this a known format .utx, .uax, .aao, .usx for unreal ?

Would be great if there would be custom skins and maps  possible.

The one thing that makes this game more attractive regarding multiplayer is that it´s more polished than OFP and feels more solid, there are no clipping problems i had noticed, no weird physics or other paranormal issues OFP is plagued by.

In singleplayer however OFP is still the state of art, with almost unlimited possibilities, huge resources, the excellent terrain and many units. If they only would be able to fix these damn clipping problems and weird vehicle physics.

HW not supported

History: CheckDeviceCaps <- UD3DRenderDevice::Init <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!

-=Die Alive=-

Aaaargh, when i play single player my game lags like hell!

What the *beeep* is this? I can play every game but when i try this game it isn't smooth at all!

I updated my drivers, and i tried to put the graphics and stuff like that as low as possible but it stays the same sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

The aiming process itself is a bit more complicated than in OFP; breathing is simulated and you need to concentrate on the shooting rhytmus for targets farther away and for every round to hit, especially from the standing unsupported position.

<span id='postcolor'>

That's not new. In the Infiltration mod for Unreal Tournament you can hold your breath to steady your aim. Also the iron sights in that mod are poligonal, so they look a lot better than the sprites in recon. http://infiltration.sentrystudios.com/

You all should give it a try, it's good.

Yeah, Infiltration is very good. It has bots too so you can play offline smile.gif

wow, this game is being over run by ex-cs players, just look at the armyoperations lobby in gamespy, its a mess. Ill wait about a week or two, by then most of the ex0cs players will probably think that cs is way more realistic and go back to it smile.gif. i havent tried it online yet, becuase my password hasnt been mailed to me yet, but on the firing range, it takes about 7 seconds to reload your m16, thats way to long for cs players to wait smile.gif

I just have two questions.

One, are there any single missions with AI just for the hell of it?

And, Hows the sniping? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ July 04 2002,19:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And, Hows the sniping? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I dont know i havent gotten that far yet.. Tex did u stay up all night playing this thing?

You know whats great. When you see the CS players in the game. They really suck at the game. When you kill them, they then complain about how the game sucks. In the lobby you hear that the game sucks over and over again because you have to go through training...

Hopefully them CS run&gun fragometer kids will all dissapear shortly,

i have great fun playing this game, despite it´s only a "half" product that´s not complete yet...i didn´t get beyond training for now- for some reason i can´t register (no confirmation e-mail with password is sent).

They plan on putting out addons, missions and work also on the singleplayer part, i guess it will be part of the final operations game, including the other "schools".

and i'm thinking that top-notch players for Americas Army will come from either Infiltration or OFP community.

Infiltration is the most realistic game i've ever played online. I've tried to play ofp a few times, but i can't! I launch the eye, find the faster server, join the game, wait in the lobby, and if it doesn't disconnect, it crashes while loading the mission or tells me that i don't have a required addon sad.gif

Question: After I get sent into the brig, what do I do then?

I only sat there for a few minutes and played with the console before I pressed ESC to go shoot the Ammo Guy again.

I wasn't very impressed by the game when I played it last night.

It just wasn't that good. Then again, I'm a moron.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FetishFool @ July 04 2002,20:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Question:  After I get sent into the brig, what do I do then?

I only sat there for a few minutes and played with the console before I pressed ESC to go shoot the Ammo Guy again.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL it would have been pretty funny to hear someone in the next cell singing "nobody knows..The trouble i seen...Nobody knows but Jesus..." You know like in spaceballs if youve seen the movie.

Is it me or does the m16 in that game kick towards the right a little. Kinda hard to hit stuff while standing.

I'm downloading recon now. Still an hour to go...

What kind of connections do you have guys? Mine can download only at 25k/s and it's about the best connection you can have in Spain without spending too much cash...

I'm not a gun expert, but i guess that if you are shooting from your right shoulder, the recoil will make the gun go up and a bit to the right...