Sign in to follow this  
Taku

Voice with sockets

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Oct. 11 2002,03:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yea, if they made a 3rd party Voice program with a global channel would be great, not a seperate channel called global, but a button were you can talk to all the channels at once. The vehicle and group channel is no big deal, no one really uses them anyway, but a global channel is what the 3rd party proggys are missing.<span id='postcolor'>

A global channel is possible in both TeamSpeak 1 and TeamSpeak 2. You just define a button to talk (it's called "wispher" in TS) to all other channels.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Oct. 11 2002,15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It rarely gets abused. Majority of the people on the server that I play on are over 18 and dont just start screaming into the mic.<span id='postcolor'>

The regulars on our server, too - its just the noobs that visit. I remember the V1.46 times when VON was abused more often than put to a constructive use. Now there is a seperate RW server for the regulars, protected by a password. No abuse anymore, but neither the functionality of VON.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Taku @ Oct. 11 2002,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I cannot understand how U can make this work with some kind of 3rd party software, when you can't tell before the mission who is going to get in UAZ #1 and Uaz #2 in Bravo squad for example.

I have never seen lag caused by VON on our server, but I understand that might be the case when pings are higher. We pay for our server for playing OFP and it's not very cheap(not going to tell how much), but our pings are are from 30-50 for almoust everybody, 50-55 from northern Finland, even if there's 30 guys on our server.

We play this simulation quite seriously, our squads practises every week, they have ORDERS to maintain formations and they have to obey orders given by their leaders and so on.

This is the reason why VON is so important to us, but I have never demanded it, only asked about it.<span id='postcolor'>

OK I suppose I play on a server where there is a max 10 people on RW, and I can tell who is who by thier voice, with americans, germans, English, french people all on RW there is a large differance in Accents.

I know who is with me in my group so i know if the message is directed at me or not.

I understand with your very specific requirements, large squad and super-fast server that VON was very useful for you even though most peoples game needs do not meet this. Nothing will be a perfect for you as voice was/is but i'm sure if you didnt have it you could find a way to communicate by configuring a voice program to your liking.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeyCat @ Oct. 11 2002,17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Oct. 11 2002,03:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yea, if they made a 3rd party Voice program with a global channel would be great, not a seperate channel called global, but a button were you can talk to all the channels at once. The vehicle and group channel is no big deal, no one really uses them anyway, but a global channel is what the 3rd party proggys are missing.<span id='postcolor'>

A global channel is possible in both TeamSpeak 1 and TeamSpeak 2. You just define a button to talk (it's called "wispher" in TS) to all other channels.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)<span id='postcolor'>

I thought wisper was for a single player, not all of west and all of east

The mere length of this thread and any other concerning VON should demostrate the importance of it in OFP®.

BIS... I implore you to not disregard this simple fact.

As far as the why's, what's and how's. There are many answers and many solutions that have been discussed.

I propose that BIS listen to the majority of their dedicated players. VON is important to the larger groups that play on large servers. Without it you have confusion which leads to frustrations which in turn leads to unsatisfactory gameplay.

VON IS possible with Sockets. However, BIS would need to be willing to spend the money (time=money) to implement it. Which thus far it seems they have choosen not to.

TO Suma: You asked where it was promised that things would be done. Linux was promised in these forums... many have seen it. Voice in Sockets was discussed directly with me via email from you.

I asked "Will you be adding Voice into Sockets?"

Suma said "There is still quite a long way before us before Voice will be implemented".

This tells me that BIS did have plans to implement VON in Sockets. Though not a direct promise... it was close... and I think it has been a 'long way'... the email is from 5/28/2002.

It boils down to the fact that we need a true dedicated server solution (Linux... which can ONLY use Sockets). And the community wants VON (which currently can only be used in Windoze DP). Which leaves us with a half-way solution. We want VON... but we do not wish to continue to run Windoze servers due to their inferior handling of processes.

Again please... consider this...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Oct. 13 2002,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TO Suma: You asked where it was promised that things would be done. Linux was promised in these forums... many have seen it.<span id='postcolor'>

Do you remember who promised it and where it was promised? I just did a search for "linux" from the start (goes back to Aug 01) and no Bis person has made any reference to Linux.

Hit_Sqd_Maximus read what he said, that's about the VON.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Oct. 14 2002,00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">VON IS possible with Sockets. However, BIS would need to be willing to spend the money (time=money) to implement it.<span id='postcolor'>

I thing you overestimate influence of money in our decisions. OFP design was never done in a way "we do what will bring us most money".

When deciding to implement something we think about such decision more in a terms of choice between features. This time is was choice between sockets for Linux or VON for sockets. I hope you agree we made correct choice.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Linux was promised in these forums... many have seen it.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, we announced we wanted to develop Linux dedicated server, seeing there is much community interest in such implementation. I still would not take announcement as promise, it is more an information about our plans, not any commitment. The progress was as follows: To be able to do this, we had first to convert our netcode to sockets (which happened in Resistance upgrade). After that conversion to Linux started, which we consider to be completed and stable now - that is why I announced few days ago Linux server will be released for Resistance soon after the release of the upcoming patch. I think this makes things clear.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I asked "Will you be adding Voice into Sockets?"

Suma said "There is still quite a long way before us before Voice will be implemented".

This tells me that BIS did have plans to implement VON in Sockets. Though not a direct promise... it was close... and I think it has been a 'long way'... the email is from 5/28/2002.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, we have long-term plans to implement VON for sockets. It is very likely such support will appear in our future products. From my point of view 5 months is definitelly not a "long way".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Oct. 14 2002,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, we have long-term plans to implement VON for sockets. It is very likely such support will appear in our future products.  From my point of view 5 months is definitelly not a "long way".<span id='postcolor'>

5 months in the computer industry is 1-2 processor generations. It is a long time... atleast in my Internet business.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 13 2002,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Oct. 13 2002,23wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TO Suma: You asked where it was promised that things would be done. Linux was promised in these forums... many have seen it.<span id='postcolor'>

Do you remember who promised it and where it was promised? I just did a search for "linux" from the start (goes back to Aug 01) and no Bis person has made any reference to Linux.<span id='postcolor'>

Suma's response should clearify your question placebo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Oct. 15 2002,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Oct. 14 2002,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, we have long-term plans to implement VON for sockets. It is very likely such support will appear in our future products.  From my point of view 5 months is definitelly not a "long way".<span id='postcolor'>

5 months in the computer industry is 1-2 processor generations. It is a long time... atleast in my Internet business.<span id='postcolor'>

OFP development started in 1997, five years from now. This is what I would certainly call long way (and yes, HW changed a lot during that time, when we started, first HW acceleration - from Matrox - appeared, and 3Dfx was close to come. Normal CPU power was 200 MHz).

Sidenote: It makes no sense to quarel about interpretation of "long way". I am afraid you misinterpreted my response (your hopes affected your interpretation, therefore you expected something that was never planned).