Sign in to follow this  
action man

Ssllooww--llooaadd+++sshhuutt--ddoowwnn

OK! here's my complaint! Resistance takes a very long time to load a mission,to shut down a mission,to save a mission.ECT,ECT.In fact i can make a cup of tea in the time it takes! My old flashpoint as always run well,i've installed every patch up to 1.46 no problems.I have even done a clean install and i am not a very happy camper.My settings are the same as the old flashpoint,and it states on the box (minimum system requirements are equivalent to original flashpoint recommended specifications).Now my system spec is P4-1.4, 128mb RD ram.Reading through the forums i know more ram is better but how come it ran fine before?

OFP:R is more demanding of the hardware, textures are larger etc.

Does the drive light on your system flash pretty much the entire time that it takes to load, or is there no disk activity? What OS are you running?

yep their is an awful lot of cpu activity,my os is ME,but the point i am trying to make is the fact that the old flashpoint ran sweet on my system and the system specs for this new one acording to the box should be the same!

If its any consolation, resistance runs exactly the same on mine as yours. Having said that, so did the original until a few patches ago, then mysteriously, the continuous hdd access went away.

One of the patches resolved some memory leaks, so that could explain why you see less disk activity with the most recent versions.

make sure you select the proper ammount of memeory OFP will use in the preferences! cos im on xp,, i has the memroy total higher than what my system had, (i had to leave 128mb for xp itself.)

this in turn caused continual loading and poor performance, (i still get it but not as bad.

Also the new Terrain is SHIT at very high, cos tanks and that are really hard to drive of road, High is best.

Make sure Geometery performance is set to low, depending on yer Gfx card and processor.

ME is a memory leak itself, that combined with only 128mb ram doesn't bode well.

Resistance is way more demanding than Opf, whatever the system requirements may or may not say it's way more demanding and you either need to lower some settings or accept slightly slower performance smile.gif

I have the same "continuous HDD access" problem , mi syst spces are:

Athlon 1.4Ghz

256 md RAM

GForce2 MX 200 (32mb)

HD Quantum Fireball ( 2 gigs free)

Win XP

I must run the game at 800x600x16 and FPS are far from being the same as in the original Flashpoint. Any suggestions ?thx.

If you had searched the forum you would of found a topic i posted yesterday about this and i found

halfing the amount of ram i have in the preferences screen from 256 to 128 mb thats about half or something

and updating my graphics card driver has helped this problem.

Its all about ram, I have 512 of ram and sometimes it happens to me too. When I had 98 megs of ram on laptop, it took 4ver to load, save and shutdown, so I was glad when I got a desktop with tons of ram and it loaded quicly

I have 1.3ghz amd & 512mb PC133 sdram, Opf:R runs as smooth as Opf did, 1024x768, normal ground texture (cos of shite gfx card) 900 view distance, fps to far left for better image quality, tother one to far right, looks good and runs smooth.

i have a

win 98

256 mb or ram

10 gb or hard drive space (but soon 13 gigs free, 20 total)

nvidia riva tnt2 model 64 (gateway)

p3 750 ghz

and i run the original ofp at 1024x768x32

how fast will resistance run?

I have a TBird 900MHz, 512MB SD-RAM133, GF2GTS 29.80, W2k, blabla and run at 1024x768 with viewdistance ~1000 and ground detail HIGH and I noticed while ALT-TABbing that Oprah itself uses more then 320MB memory! So if you run similar settings it might be that your system has to swap memory on the harddisk with 256MB or even less memory.

thanks guys i get the picture,if you've not got a monster super computer resistance will run like a bag of shit! BIS should note that most people cannot afford megga bucks for megga computers,and if system specs for the games keep rising not to many people will be able to play games like this and will not buy them!Having said all that it,s still a great game!

Here here!

Just upgraded my system from 256 to 512 mb drr 233 and this DOES fix this loading bug you have. I had the same problems, waiting close to 5 minutes for a complete shutdown of the game and all other related issues.

So there we have it, Resistance definately requires a lot of RAM to perform as good as OFP did before.

current specs:

XP 2000

512 DDR 233

GF2 GTI 32 MB

Live 5.1

on Win XP Pro

OFP benchmark @ 4380

running at 1024x768 32 bit HW TL

Detail level Normal

viewdistance 2200

everything else maxed out/enabled

Dell Dimension 4100 system:

P3 933 MHz

i815EP chipset

512 Mb PC133 SDRAM (Kingston)

7,200 rpm Western Digital HDD (40 Gb)

Creative 1024 Live! sound board

Creative Geforce4 Ti 4200 64Mb graphics card

Latest drivers and BIOS

19" monitor with refresh rate of 85Hz

Anti-aliasing turned off

Vsync On as default

Graphics detail set to best image quality

Overclocked Geforce CPU to 255 MHz & RAM to 515 MHz

OFP:R settings are (from memory):

1600 x 1200 32 bit (I find 1024 x 768 32 bit is slower and anything else gives no improvements!wink.gif

Terrain detail High (changing this to Normal makes the best improvement)

View distance ~750

Detail - max.

Frames - max.

OFP:R Preferences auto set RAM, LODs, geometry, etc.

All graphics set at 1024 x 1024

Auto-dropdown 8x

This runs quite nicely. Some stuttering. In the open field fps are around 20 - 30. Some slow downs viewing buldings, fps 15 - 20.

What does auto-drop down do? What should it be set to? (I know I should look at Avon's FAQ)

Load times are either the same or slightly slower than with OFP.

Only problem is big slow-down and image corruption when going to Home screen for the second and subsequent times. The degree of slow down is variable. fps are usually 3 - 10. Green skies and multicoloured boxes instead of text or sun. HW T&L problem I wonder?

Have tried setting my Windows swap file to a min. of 1024 but no inprovement.

Alx

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (action man @ July 02 2002,09:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thanks guys i get the picture,if you've not got a monster super computer resistance will run like a bag of shit!<span id='postcolor'>

I think that's a smidge harsh, my machine as mentioned above can't really be classed as a monster computer and I can still run Opf:R pretty well.

You have to remember the nature of the PC market is such that as soon as you buy/upgrade your PC it's becoming obselete, and because of that fact software developers have to take into account those with high specs as well as those with lower specs, to that end you have options, you can put up with a lil stutter here and there or you can sacrifice on the graphics a bit, Bis have put plenty of options to play around with to leave the choice up to you. Personally I went for a combination of the two, not everything is maxed but it still looks great and runs well smile.gif

I agree with ale2999, RAM is most important, at least to run with high ground details.

And we have to remember what BIS said in their postmortem:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...and we will probably try to aim higher with the detail of our artwork, even if it seems insanely detailed for present and predicted hardware capabilities....

<span id='postcolor'>

As long as you have options to tweak it to your needs I can't see a problem in this smile.gif

Thats a fair comment!but i,ve been tweaking since the morning i installed it and it still runs very poorly.Do you think i should uninstall and just play the old version which ran fine until i installed resistance?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (action man @ July 02 2002,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thats a fair comment!but i,ve been tweaking since the morning i installed it and it still runs very poorly.Do you think i should uninstall and just play the old version which ran fine until i installed resistance?<span id='postcolor'>

You shouldn't have to. What happens when you run the old EXE program and not Resistance's?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (action man @ July 01 2002,21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><snip>...

My settings are the same as the old flashpoint,and it states on the box (minimum system requirements are equivalent to original flashpoint recommended specifications).Now my system spec is P4-1.4, 128mb RD ram.Reading through the forums i know more ram is better but how come it ran fine before?<span id='postcolor'>

Now that I read your first post again, it might be a dumb question, but do you run the correct Preferences program? I remember there are now two of them in the Flashpoint folder and the names are not very good to destinct which one tweaks Resistance. Might be you tweak the 'old' OFP all the time  wink.gif

Furthermore, as others (and I) stated before, RAM seems to be very important to run higher ground detail settings, and you have very little of it.

You might also check the Manual or Readme of Resistance. I think there was a section that that described a little the new settings and what to do to run similar settings as 'old' OFP, eg. setting ground detail to low.

What I also changed were following settings:

disabled some shadow features

reduced the cockpit texture setting (don't know how much performance this might bring, but I don't care too much about the cockpit, so what wink.gif )

reduced the number of objects(256 is default, I changed to 200)

Light sources down to 20 instead 25 or 26

Viewdistance at ~1000

ground details high (but I have 512MB RAM)

1024x768x32 @75 or 85Hz on 19" monitor

don't know what else wink.gif

What I noticed with this settings:

general gameplay is smooth in most cases. I expirienced some chopiness while beeing in the castle ruins NE of the bridge  and turn around. Deathcam starts as a slide show (for whatever reason, I don't know), at ~1fps, but usually after 3 to 5secs runs smooth as well. Memory usage >320MB.

Specs: AMD TBird 900, 512MB SD133, GF2GTS 32MB, 32GB 7200rpm HDD, SBLive5.1Player, W2k

Edit: added some infos

I played a little more around, maybe someone else can verify this results of memory usage:

Main menu with the according map in background (loading a mission on it, but cancel it)

Nogova:

very low: 180MB

high: 248MB

very high: 403MB

Desert Island:

very low: 47MB

high: 120MB

very high: 300MB

Everon:

very low: 125MB

high: 180MB

very high: 384MB

I also noticed that when you reduce the setting the memory is not set free. Smells like a potential issue...

I've got quite a trashy computer compared to yours, but i've got quite enough money to do a few upgrades..

i've got a 700 mhz processor,

128mb ram pc133 or something,

geforce 2mx

ak33 motherbord

windows ME and windows 2000 (yes, i've got 2 horrible operating systems)

20gb harddisk (with much suffering i freed another 3 gb wich makes a total of 4 gb free)

What should i upgrade first (thinking of the horrible stuff that happens when i try to play resistance, i've been waiting twice as much as i've been watching films or fighting)?

BTW, it's that horrible that my resistance even crashes when starting up (sometimes)...

Everyone is gonna have a diff opinion, but in my view the order of upgrade should be...

Ram - CPU - GFX Card - HD

Obviously your mobo might need changing depending on how much ram, how high a cput it can take. For OS I would suggest either win98 SE or XP, personally I use XP and am very happy with it.

Always remember you can sell your old parts, sometimes you can get a fair amount for them if you flog em to some Aunty who knows nothing about such things, not that I'd condone ripping off family members of course wink.gif

hehe, there are some family members i'd like to rip off smile.gif, only they know far too much about computers sad.gif

Thanks..

well.. i'll just ask around a bit what i should do.. (why do i know such a g*dd*mned little about hardware  sad.gif)