Sign in to follow this  
KeyCat

Some ofp:r multiplayer questions...

I know it's early days and we are still waiting for Resistance to become available here in Sweden but I have a few MP related questions...

1. Is it possible for the mission designer to "hardcode" the terrain detail setting in a multiplayer missions (just like viewdistance XXXX)?

2. Does the new logistic features work in multiplayer, i.e could you make a series of missions where equipment saved/found from previous mission is available in the next?

3. Does OFP:R servers show up in All Seeing Eye (with version set to Others)?

4. Last but not least! How does the new 1.75 socket netcode perform (compared to the old 1.49)?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

bump...

Most of these are damn good questions, if BIS or someone who has knowledge of this could answer it would be much appreciated.

There is confusion in the community about whether terrain detail will be as good in multiplayer, this is actually a very good point as people are holding off buying it because they feel that MP will look exactly the same as before the Expansion.

Server administrators need to know this info in advance in order to plan the upgrade of their server.

look on all seeing eye and geyspy theres not one ofpr server up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeyCat @ June 29 2002,19:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know it's early days and we are still waiting for Resistance to become available here in Sweden but I have a few MP related questions...

1. Is it possible for the mission designer to "hardcode" the terrain detail setting in a multiplayer missions (just like viewdistance XXXX)?

2. Does the new logistic features work in multiplayer, i.e could you make a series of missions where equipment saved/found from previous mission is available in the next?

3. Does OFP:R servers show up in All Seeing Eye (with version set to Others)?

4. Last but not least! How does the new 1.75 socket netcode perform (compared to the old 1.49)?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)<span id='postcolor'>

Let me take a few guesses:

1. Setviewdistance should still be a functional command in mission scripts.

2. I doubt it very much. There's no mention of having any campaign-like features in MP missions where one mission can continue from the previous. MP missions are standalone missions in OFP.

3. Looking at this thread at ASE's forum, it looks like it's not yet supported.

4. The 1.75 code should reflect the improvements reported by players testing the 1.60 code.

they should show in ase just set version to other and it will filter out all the known server types thats where ur resistance servers should show but havent seen one yet.

Didnt you try the new ingame server browser? smile.gif

hm, my experiences with netcode are ok. I can not say yet, how socket perform in compare to the old

The german OFP Gameserverhosters are currently upgrading OFP to OFP:RE.

www.clanzone.at

www.mietgameserver.de

A list for the favorite Servers would be nice, I dont think hosts.txt works in RES. And it would be so nice, if the terrain details can be controlled by mp mission makers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 02 2002,09:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let me take a few guesses:

1. Setviewdistance should still be a functional command in mission scripts.<span id='postcolor'>

Glad to see this thread start moving!

Let me clarify on my first question. What I wonder is if the new improved terrain detail can be hardcoded in MP missions just like the view distance in previous versions?

Early reports indicates that the islands doesn't use the new enhanced terrain detail in multiplayer and that would be a real bummer to not be able to use it if all clients are able to handle the particular setting.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeyCat @ July 02 2002,12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let me clarify on my first question. What I wonder is if the new improved terrain detail can be hardcoded in MP missions just like the view distance in previous versions?<span id='postcolor'>

No. That would force players with low end systems to suffer immensly. That would be like forcing LOD and texture settings in the original OFP. Bad idea (except for forcing cloudlets, smoke, etc. - a potential MP cheat if disabled).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Early reports indicates that the islands doesn't use the new enhanced terrain detail in multiplayer and that would be a real bummer to not be able to use it if all clients are able to handle the particular setting.<span id='postcolor'>

Where did you get this info from? confused.gif

We did some tests with the new dedicated 1.75 Servers and they DO use the new Terrain Detail settings (at least with the delivered MP-Missions for Nogova).

The Client decides which TerrainDetail he uses, you'll get no gameplay advantage in setting it to "Very Low" setting, except maybe smoother gameplay (which depends on your hardware).

Conclusion:

New Terrain Detail IS used on Nogova, but Clients choose the Detail.

I think the "setviewdistance" Command in the Missions still work, would be bad if not! A Tank Duel with one Client set to 700 and the other set to 2000 would be very unfair, no?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 02 2002,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No. That would force players with low end systems to suffer immensly. That would be like forcing LOD and texture settings in the original OFP. Bad idea (except for forcing cloudlets, smoke, etc. - a potential MP cheat if disabled).<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, may I suggest my lady to buy better reading glasses and read my message really slow again wink.gif

Particular this part...

"...if all clients are able to handle the particular setting."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Where did you get this info from?

<span id='postcolor'>

The info was stated on this forum a few days ago but since I don't have OFP:R yet I can't confirm it.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kabukiman @ July 02 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Conclusion:

New Terrain Detail IS used on Nogova, but Clients choose the Detail.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks Kabukiman for confirming that the improved terrain detail works with the new Nogova island also in multiplayer!

Maybe it's only the old islands that still are the same in multiplayer? Or maybe the original poster just had his slider set to "flat"?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

The new terrain detail is amazing and wonderful....twould be a shame for it not to appear in MP.

I'm going out of town for a few days so I can't test out MP with Resistance yet. Ah well, more ppl should have it by then and I have a LOT of missions that will probably need reworking now with all of the scripting changes they made.

I just checked again and Multiplayer is NOT, repeat: NOT using the new Terrain-Detail Feature! wow.gif

Why???

BUMMER!!!!

Since I'm in this mostly for multiplayer this makes me (and the other guys in our group) to think twice before buying OFP: Resistance  confused.gif

Could someone in the know (BIS/CM) clarify on this issue?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Since I understand Suma is on (I guess??) a well earned holiday and can't make any comments I tried to find an answer to this yesterday by playing around in the editor and it looks like it's possible to "hardcode" the terrain detail with a new "SetTerrainGrid" command.

Haven't tried it in multiplayer yet but if it works my problem is solved! Anyone knows the parameters to SetTerrainGrid???

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)