Sign in to follow this  
daman3

Ex-Codemasters CMO about Operaiton Flashpoint

The way I see it, "the shareholders are in it for per-cycle profits" (no matter how unsustainable) and them putting their money towards a game at all is with that goal in mind. If it's so conflicting with the devs' desire to produce the game the way they want it, resort to crowd-sourcing or the devs' own pockets, because when "the merchant bankers" put their money towards a game, it's with the intent to get more back... you know, no matter how terrible their metric for deciding the likelihood of that outcome is.

Note that I say the above re: development -- this doesn't account for things like the distribution, where of course both "independent" devs and devs-with-publishers can get in on the digital download action. BI has already demonstrated the distribution action with 505 Games in Europe plus Atari, Got Game Entertainment, and Meridian 4 in North America for retail discs, plus digital distribution both on Steam and elsewhere (as a non-Steamworks title) with both "regular" digital and (some) Steam versions available through the BI Web store, for both the ARMA franchise and other titles.

Anecdote: Sleeping Dogs sounds like a success story because after "True Crime: Hong Kong" was cancelled, the game and its devs were got picked up by... a different corporation, which however put on a show of being more developer-friendly and PC-friendly, i.e. specifically wanting the devs to make a PC version in-house instead of outsourcing a console port, and advertising specific features to encourage PC buyers*. Dirty little secret is though from what I understand, Square Enix picked it up not out of charity or even necessarily a belief in the devs' vision, but because the game had already been for the most part completed on Activision's dime, so in effect SE mainly just had to fund the publishing/distribution and marketing. Easier to go along with a dev's "mostly implemented" vision (that you didn't decide for them) when you didn't have to pay (as much) for it. :p

* For example, a free "High Resolution Textures Pack" DLC for PC only, graphics options a-plenty, and (though this one wasn't promised) relatively quick patching support for PC-specific issues.

Edited by Chortles

Hi all

In Reply to Slatts post:

I am stating that the problems with the games market is when the Brand mentality of the Merchant Bankers and Bean Counters supercedes the vision of the developers. That is when the corners get cut to increase profit and the art and skill disapears.

The assumption of the Merchant Bankers and Bean Counters is that it is everything is down to money, the reality is that money is just a tool for development. When the money is in charge and the brand label decision becomes more important than the thoughts and ideas of the developer the only way is down the toilet.

Like a I say placing money above all else is a fundamentaly flawed concept that actualy results in loosing money. This applies across the board with all kinds of business. The mess the Merchant Bankers and Bean Counters made of the world economy is just another example.

Kind Regards walker

If we ignore that banker talk then walker indeed has a point. Many game studios focus solely on profits and make their games that way. Game Devs are not in charge and the important decisions are made by economists.

IMHO best Example

Dragon Age 1-> Dragon Age 2

good game -> Bad game suited for consoles and with a completely new art direction to be more appealing/focused on action...

It is never the taxi driver who choses the destination it is always the pasenger who pays the fair and tells taxi driver where to go. Like I said in my previous post always follow the money trail.

Kind Regards walker

+1

You want the truth, you find the source... follow the money.

Hi all

Like a I say placing money above all else is a fundamentaly flawed concept that actualy results in loosing money. This applies across the board with all kinds of business. The mess the Merchant Bankers and Bean Counters made of the world economy is just another example.

Kind Regards walker

I agree, it may produce short term earnings but it damages the 'brand' and it is extremely hard to regain confidence once damaged or in codies cause, near destroyed.

Short term profit at the expense of the brand = loss of future long term earnings.

Edited by i76

I agree, it may produce short term earnings but it damages the 'brand' and it is extremely hard to regain confidence once damaged or in codies cause, near destroyed.

Short term profit at the expense of the brand = loss of future long term earnings.

But seemingly a very common idea in corporate decision-making... then again, I imagine that "EVERY quarter must have growing profits or else!" pressure from shareholders will do that.

Painting the world just black and white is a bit simpled-minded but it works.... now who is liking, buying and making games into top-rated/top-selling list?

But seemingly a very common idea in corporate decision-making... then again, I imagine that "EVERY quarter must have growing profits or else!" pressure from shareholders will do that.

And THAT is the main problem

Admitting that a more or less independent-niche-housemade game rescued a company which is (and already was) known across the globe (at that time even for good games!) is a nice move imho

I don't think he means Codemasters as a whole as there are separate companies within.