Sign in to follow this  
Prof.Wizard

Working scud launcher model

I was wondering. Why doesn't BI or someone create a working model of the featured SCUD launcher?

Yes you can drive the vehicle and launch the missile but... that's all!

ss-1-scud-DDST8506576_JPG.jpg

I was thinking of a model: open up the map screen when the player hits the "launch missile" command and chooses the target area with crosshairs and after a few instants the missile explodes (with some deviation) to the designated area inflicting a reasonable "splash" damage due to its HE head. smile.gif

It would be cool to utilize this special vehicle and have a weapon to terrorize the enemy, bringing down whole Malden towns, in custom missions...

What do you think?

The maps are too small really for a SCUD. It's an artillary rocket that has longer range than a big gun. In the game it was used to represent the launch across the 3 islands and since when you play you are on only 1 island, it wouldn't work. I don't know if the rockets have a min. range. Real normal artillary would be better for the smaller islands that we play on.

COLINMAN

It would be nice for some artillery. And the scud (thorugh mapper scripting) does work. But its more of a static object. And its good the way it is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ June 29 2002,18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The maps are too small really for a SCUD. It's an artillary rocket that has longer range than a big gun. In the game it was used to represent the launch across the 3 islands and since when you play you are on only 1 island, it wouldn't work. I don't know if the rockets have a min. range. Real normal artillary would be better for the smaller islands that we play on.<span id='postcolor'>

This was a good remark.

Yes, the maps are small indeed but the SCUD missiles have a minimum range (which can be taken into account in the game) which is well within the limits of the island size.

Let's don't forget, for the sake of simplicity many other military equipment specs have been downgraded and/or upgraded to maximize the gaming experience.

I have no doubt that placing some artillery weapons is a higher priority than the SCUDs, but since the vehicle model is already in, with some code BI could make it work...

Just imagine the terror of out-of-the-blue destruction of whole towns like St. Pierre or Montignac... wink.gif

A whole new array of missions could become reality. And in these days of terror, I think a missile-vehicle like this could be a real asset for the game!

I would like to use the scud fully in OFP.But those babys where made to reach USA, from Russia, or where ever.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 29 2002,16:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would like to use the scud fully in OFP.But those babys where made to reach USA, from Russia, or where ever.<span id='postcolor'>

The SCUD is not a strategic missile, it is a tactical missile with a range of between 100 and 180 miles. Unless you are launching it from Canada or Mexico, it doesn't have a chance of getting to the United States. And even then it may miss...

Skulls -Scuds don't have that type of range..they are only slightly more advanced than the German V-2s of WWII. We're talking ranges of only a couple of hundred miles. The Iraqi, N. Korean etc versions have smaller warheads and larger fuel tanks but still don't have much more reach.

Oh sorry about that.But i know there is something close to it, that can reach the US from Russia.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prof.Wizard @ June 30 2002,22:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So... can we hope?! smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

of course we can tounge.gif

but anyway, there is still ppl at the addon forum area

les hope they get a "cure" for this

but this would be pretty cool

hit those uncle sam´s doggies "miles" away

that would be nicer than seein ur seargent blowin apart in front of u!!! biggrin.gif

the room in the back also needs to be finshed at the moment u just hover in side the vechicle, i know i would luv fireing this thing at sumthing people say theres no fun in shooting arcoss the map, i disagree having a human spotter when using an aterillery gun if we get one telling u to aim higher or lower would be so much fun and having this in game modes like rts2 would force people to hide their bases and make raids or sneak in to destroy the scud. Buf if we got it i dont think a massive explosion would be very practical maybee a lgb size blast.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 29 2002,22:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh sorry about that.But i know there is something close to it, that can reach the US from Russia.<span id='postcolor'>

Obviously, ICBMs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ July 01 2002,04:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the room in the back also needs to be finshed at the moment u just hover in side the vechicle, i know i would luv fireing this thing at sumthing people say theres no fun in shooting arcoss the map, i disagree having a human spotter when using an aterillery gun if we get one telling u to aim higher or lower would be so much fun and having this in game modes like rts2 would force people to hide their bases and make raids or sneak in to destroy the scud. Buf if we got it i dont think a massive explosion would be very practical maybee a lgb size blast.<span id='postcolor'>

Nice points. I agree with all of them.

Of course the explosion should be conventional (not biological, chemical, etc. -> thus unsimulated) and nothing too exaggerated...

HE able to destroy a whole Malden islands town, but small enough and inaccurate NOT to make its possessor all-powerful.

Moreover I suggest to "code" it to make it extra-powerful against game logic (buildings, trees, etc.) for the greatest effect...

Its a great idea! It would add more to a game that is already great.

I thought SCUDs had a maximum range of 500 miles or so. Guess it would depend on the warhead and fuel.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 01 2002,06:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 29 2002,22:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh sorry about that.But i know there is something close to it, that can reach the US from Russia.<span id='postcolor'>

Obviously, ICBMs<span id='postcolor'>

Scuds can reach U.S. from Russia - technically speaking. U can fire one across Baring's strait from eastern-most part of Russia to Alaska.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shaolin @ July 01 2002,06:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 01 2002,06:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 29 2002,22:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh sorry about that.But i know there is something close to it, that can reach the US from Russia.<span id='postcolor'>

Obviously, ICBMs<span id='postcolor'>

Scuds can reach U.S. from Russia - technically speaking. U can fire one across Baring's strait from eastern-most part of Russia to Alaska.<span id='postcolor'>

I stand corrected. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hardliner @ June 30 2002,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I thought SCUDs had a maximum range of 500 miles or so. Guess it would depend on the warhead and fuel.<span id='postcolor'>

I looked into that, and some countries have reduced the size of the standard warhead to carry more fuel in the missile, so there are SCUDs with a longer range, but less destructive power.

So you could have a missle that flies thousands of miles, but will only leave a small welt on your forehead.  Something that would do less damage than your cap gun.  smile.gif

I think maybe a good sized blast (big enough while still being realistic in the game sense) would be maybe twice that of an exploding tank.  

Also, as far as artillery, I think that would be a cool addition.  I'm in field artillery, and I'd love to have the option of calling in or joining a battery of M109s or some towed guns.  That would be a very cool addition.  Because you know that if that were a real conflict of that scale, they would likely have some artillery there. Heck, if they didn't want something that big, they could have the M119 105mm howitzers they use in Airborne artillery.

T

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedStorm @ July 10 2002,23:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They should include a dildo shop too.<span id='postcolor'>

spamwarning.gif

You have been repeatedly warned in the past to stop making pointless posts and contribute properly, or not contribute at all.

Since you have failed to follow the warnings, I will remove your posting rights for now.

They might be returned, they might not be. I will let the admin decide on this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ June 30 2002,20:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the room in the back also needs to be finshed at the moment u just hover in side the vechicle, i know i would luv fireing this thing at sumthing people say theres no fun in shooting arcoss the map, i disagree having a human spotter when using an aterillery gun if we get one telling u to aim higher or lower would be so much fun and having this in game modes like rts2 would force people to hide their bases and make raids or sneak in to destroy the scud. Buf if we got it i dont think a massive explosion would be very practical maybee a lgb size blast.<span id='postcolor'>

There's a spotter script for off map artillary right now and it is fun adjusting fire, so yeah it would be nice in the game. Although it would be boring spotting for the scud: Yeah you were off a half mile to the west...wait 3 hours as it rearms...ok now you are off by a quarter mile to the east...:)

COLINMAN