Sign in to follow this  
raptor 6 actual

Water Erosion Techniques (Sea bed) advice needed

Hello Fellas,

I'm back again with yet another question for my map of Anzio, Italy (1944). After getting in-game with Bushlurker's help and my fellow team mate, we have encountered a new problem.

We're having problems with our sea bed that obviously runs up to the beach. Currently, it's only about 6cm deep for miles out into the ocean. Our DEM and SRTM data didn't account for the elevation below sea level.

How do you all go about making a "natural" looking sea floor coming off of the beach?

Our map depends on having a "believable" beach front so as to replicate the landings that occurred in 1944. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I hope that this thread will help others out as well.

Guess that depends a lot on the application you're using to create the heightmap. In my case I'm using a 3d sculpt program, but using a darker brush in something like photoshop should work as well for carving out flowing shorelines. Just make sure the program supports the high bitdepth images required for a smooth heightmap.

Hello Fellas,

I'm back again with yet another question for my map of Anzio, Italy (1944). After getting in-game with Bushlurker's help and my fellow team mate, we have encountered a new problem.

We're having problems with our sea bed that obviously runs up to the beach. Currently, it's only about 6cm deep for miles out into the ocean. Our DEM and SRTM data didn't account for the elevation below sea level.

How do you all go about making a "natural" looking sea floor coming off of the beach?

Our map depends on having a "believable" beach front so as to replicate the landings that occurred in 1944. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I hope that this thread will help others out as well.

There is an application called L3DT that Bushlurker is quite fond of and he probably mentioned it in his tutorial. Maybe not though.

You could export your height map into l3dt and then just use the terrain sculpting tools there to make a smooth gradient out to sea. I don't know if there is any way to get the real data but it would be better than 6cm deep water as far as the eye can see.

This is what the ocean floor to the north of it looks like: http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1040618210002661-gr2.jpg

You might also want to try looking up: bathymetry map Anzio, Italy

Google Earth might help too. At the very least you might be able so find some photographs with people standing out in the water. From there you can use that to judge how deep it might be. Keep in mind though that the water depth may have changed from WWII to the present. Perhaps there were pictures taken during the invasion that could give you some clue to the real world depth.

Edited by Jakerod

Thanks guys. Yes, I have L3DT installed and we're trying to use it now. We did some sculpting on it, but after getting it back into Visitor and back ingame, we had no level change as what we saw in L3.

Bush gave me a term to look up, "bathymetry" I believe. I will look and see if by chance there is any under water terrain data for our area of interest.

If you want to be prepared for ArmA3 underwater stuff you could get some real data reference over here

@Jakerod- Yes, we have pictures and books with reference shots of soldiers wading in from a good 50 meters or so. I guess it was dependant upon what time of day the landings happened on.

I think GE may only stop at the water level and may not go any deeper. We're still trying to explore and find out why after using the sculpting tool, it won't show up ingame. It appears in Buldozer, but somewhere during either the export to .WRP or in the binarization process, something gets lost in translations.

Anyways, I'll keep up the research in that area as well. Maybe I'll learn L3DT better to just do it manually.

Thx Robster, I will definitely bookmark that site. Our intentions are/were....still hopefully are to get the map going for ArmA 2. That's why we stopped at 20k for just the two of us at the moment. However, depending on how easy it is to convert over to A3, I think it will be a nice edition.

I did find some info from the NOAA website for bathymetric data, and I am just trying to find out how to grab the data for download. I read in L3DT that you can use file overlays to add elevation detail from one layer to the next. Can anyone confirm this?

If it's true, then hopefully we can find a way to add the water elevations to the heightmap. We're not trying to make a believable underwater environment, just one that is close to reality so that when disembarking troops get out of their landing craft, they either 1) don't walk on water like the Almight, or 2) don't sink 50 meters down.

Will keep researching.

Edited by Raptor 6 Actual

The tides in the Mediterranean sea are imperceptible. Here we get an average 40 cm amplitude. On a flat coast line like the one you can see around Anzio, the sea bed is near flat underwater for 30 to 100m and then go slowly down. So you can be knee deep or waist deep when the sea is smooth.

get some straight roads laid copy them and make them side by side then place them on the coast and run script road smooth choose how you want it then run script can be done on a slope also can be exact height set 1 meter below water line