Sign in to follow this  
Edd1e

What is wrong with Arma 2 players?

Last week we had public weekend on our server, but sadly the quality of the players we received was really low. Usually when people join they spend a couple of minutes wondering in the mainbase and leave, thats pretty normal and nothing wrong with that, but doesn't lead into anything. Now the problem, It seems like the majority of players don't actually even plan to play the game. They just prefer to join a server and blow something up, usually all the vehicles in the mainbase. Whats up with that? Is the world overrun by mindless drones and special people? Well I know how to deal with these people, I must have banned atleast 4 of them. But is it possible that people just don't know how to behave in public servers?

Here is what you should do after joining a server, especially if you join Arma 2 coop weekend.

- Start of with a friendly greeting. Open the communication.

- If you don't know what the mission all about read the note or ask. Personally I just love to talk about my own handywork.

- Provide the fellow players with assistance and support. Great way to make friends.

- Bring your A-game. Do your best, atleast don't break any rules.

Hope to see you this weekend and hopefully I don't have to ban you. :D

Edited by Fast_Edd1e
typo

Not to just jump in here to flame you Eddie but you say to open with a friendly greeting yet your topic for this outburst wouldn't leave me thinking you were friendly. Neither would the last few words you post with.

I do however share an interest in creating full servers for COOP game modes and like you have tried running events within my own community and some times fail to gain interest. Now I am happy to spend all day long on these forums helping new players get to grips with the game and set them up with beta patches and mods and the such. In doing so I have made contact with decent guys.

I have found that the best way for me to get a good game going has been to approach other communities for joint squad nights / operations. Is this something you have tried?

What time zone are you in?

Do you run any server side AI mods such as ASR_AI?

I admit that I am not good with formalities and my sarcastic humor might be hard to grasp, but I am very pleasent guy I ensure you. I haven't thought about joint squad nights, but that sounds like a great idea. Majority of our group like myself is from finland, so our time zone is UTC+3. I don't use any mods since some even slight mods tend to cause problems. I haven't tryid ASR_AI, but I think I might give it try. Most of my missions have scripted AI that expands the actions of AI adding more challenge and variety to mission.

How one go setting up these joint squad nights? Any more input on that.

From what I've seen, many new Arma 2 players just don't understand it. They hop in to a server thinking they'll spawn close to the action and will start running and shooting immediately (like in other games). When that doesn't happen, there is no apparent action and they have nowhere to shoot, they just wander around base (or, worse, get bored and start shooting things at base, including friendlies).

And unfortunately, often what you will get with "open servers" are people newer to the game. I think many of the more experienced simply gave up playing on open servers, as the game level is almost always sub-par.

That said, when I play a coop with friends I tend to leave the server open. But I only run small coops (no more than 8 bods). It's common that you need to say hello to the guy who just connected, and if you don't get a response you can say "press / to chat". ;) They don't even know that. "Press CAPS LOCK to speak if you have a mic" also does miracles.

I'd have a few suggestions on how to try to improve the overall scene but I'm sure smarter guys out there have even better suggestions.

I'd have a few suggestions on how to try to improve the overall scene but I'm sure smarter guys out there have even better suggestions.

No no, you clearly know what you are talking about so lay on me, every bit helps. I have tryed to display guidelines, server rules etc. so that every time someone joins they are instantly greeted with a some level of guidance to the mission. But usually the responds are somekind of negative remarks like "10 minute spawntime for vehicles, thats gay!" or "why aren't the any jets in the main? I wanna I wanna I wanna."

I think most people who just run into a server running a mission they don't know are generally "just wanting to X" and not necessarily into what you're into. Maybe they just want to blow stuff up with minimal effort, or maybe they just want to fly a jet, or maybe they just want to easily and quickly get to somewhere where they can shoot enemies. Just the fact that those people don't "just want to do their best to help the team win the mission" is enough to create a lot of problems with them. Those who do care about actually succeeding in completing a mission will usually be more picky about what where and with who they play, and thus are unlikely to just join your server simply because you opened it to public.

Eddie does your squad have a website/forums? If not you can add me on steam @ iOGC_Ænigma|UK| we can discuss a joint squad night on there or at least get a game going some time.

Most people are impatient. Especially when they see a base empty of troops but with aircraft vehicles. etc. they run around crazy to try out the different vehicles. But also there is some people which actually join and ask "what do i do now".

The most effective way that I have experienced is that, you approach them first the minute they join a server and greet them with a hello "name".

Eddie does your squad have a website/forums? If not you can add me on steam @ iOGC_Ænigma|UK| we can discuss a joint squad night on there or at least get a game going some time.
No sorry, but I do have a facebook group (link in the signature) or just PM me here.

Sorry to say that kind of thing happens alot after the introduction of the dayz mod. If your looking for some good gaming you can join us.

I don't know what happened, but this weekend we had some outstanding players on our server. Still we did have the regular type also, around 10 players got banned this weekend and that pretty average. I was suprised how many good players were outthere, so maybe the cause hasn't been lost yet. We worked out a player type system that we use to determine who would get punished or awarded.

Type 1 - The worst kind. Players who have no intention to actually play the game so they tk, blow up vehicles in the main or otherwise asshatting. These once should get instantly banned since they are nothing more than a plague on servers. Usually come in groups of two, don't know why.

Type 2- The clueless. Maybe joined the wrong server, is bored with DayZ and wonders what real arma looks like or just wants a quick fix of gunfire. Harmless, but might not provide anything towards gameplay. Usually too shy to type on chat or use voip. Type 2 can easy became a type 1 or 3.

Type 3 - The best kind. Likes to communicate by text or voip. Wants to play the game as it was intended. Is constantly looking for others like him and becames a regular on server he likes. Type 3 players never breaks the rules intentionally, not even if they are bored or tired.

Sure this might also be called the "Sith, Droid or Jedi- theory", but its just something to think about.

I unistalled arma and left a clan because I was bored of TK'ers, resource wasters, helicopter smaw'ers etc. The adrenalin kick from getting fired at from AI, evading aa missiles, dogfighting against a SU as a pilot was replaced by bad karma fear when landing at own base and rearming. Fear of some d...head blowing up the plane/chopper/tank. Just wasnt fun anymore. We tried a lot of different things at the clan (it was domi), but little did it help.

Completely ruined the game (which, lets be honest, isnt very good SP, but an amazing MP with the right people).

I wouldnt call them Sith. There was too much stupidity and too little brain in their actions.

From what I've seen, many new Arma 2 players just don't understand it. They hop in to a server thinking they'll spawn close to the action and will start running and shooting immediately (like in other games). When that doesn't happen, there is no apparent action and they have nowhere to shoot, they just wander around base (or, worse, get bored and start shooting things at base, including friendlies).
That in turn means something "wrong" (parentheses here) about the mission design, since it's perfectly possible to create and run a small-scale mission where the mission design CAN "spawn them close to the action and start running and shooting immediately"... one solution is to have them be transported to "the edge of the action" by a scripted vehicle trip "on rails" style (oh hey "console shooters" are way ahead of ARMA here), and then the player gets to control their character once they're closer to the action.

Fast_Edd1e, small-scale co-op or PVP missions are a good way to go with new players, but so are clear objectives... their definition of clear, not necessarily yours.

P.S. For what it's worth, re: the "10 minute spawntime for vehicles"... I'm guessing that back in BF3 they stuck to "instant respawn" (of vehicles) servers, since that option is NOT enabled by default in BF3.

Fast_Edd1e, small-scale co-op or PVP missions are a good way to go with new players, but so are clear objectives... their definition of clear, not necessarily yours.

In way creating missions and running the mission is kind of a customer service. When I create the missions they will be always created for a certain focus group, the regulars on our server, their ideas and inputs basically mold the missions. Creating a mission designed for players without patience would put the regulars off, thats why we don't run any PvP missions. Ofcourse not all the missions start far from the action, like Co8 Squad Incursion starts within 1km, but some do stretch cross the entire chernarus like Co16 Special Operations. Every server has their own image to look after for example Veterans-gaming runs almost exclusive Insurgency, which is great for those who enjoy it. You can't please everybody, but its important to please the ones that matter the most.

Hey Edd1e, Co op weekends sound cool, actually co op anytime is even better :) Do you use any mods like ACE or ACRE? Do you use anything else to organize your group such as a forum or Steam? Facebook is not my thing.

Hey Edd1e, Co op weekends sound cool, actually co op anytime is even better :) Do you use any mods like ACE or ACRE? Do you use anything else to organize your group such as a forum or Steam? Facebook is not my thing.

Apparently you aren't the only one. Since all the guys and gals in the FB group are also in steam, I am going to pull the old switcheroo and create a steam group. So even the once that hate social media and farmville can participate in the events and all that follows. :)

Edited by Fast_Edd1e

Type 1 - The worst kind. Players who have no intention to actually play the game so they tk, blow up vehicles in the main or otherwise asshatting. These once should get instantly banned since they are nothing more than a plague on servers. Usually come in groups of two, don't know why.

Sounds like battlefield.

I just started playing the Arma 2 vanilla MP recently, and my first impressions were amazing! Huge maps, vehicles, teamplay, friendly players, weather effects, decent graphics, and devs supporting the game!

Yes, I bought Arma 2 for DayZ, but I also know that Arma 2 is an incredible game!

I just started playing the Arma 2 vanilla MP recently, and my first impressions were amazing! Huge maps, vehicles, teamplay, friendly players, weather effects, decent graphics, and devs supporting the game!

Yes, I bought Arma 2 for DayZ, but I also know that Arma 2 is an incredible game!

Welcome aboard.. Remember to be a Type 3 player. :)

BTW.. Can someone explain "Global ban" from battle-eye? I am still new to using dedicated server and now ever so often some players that try to join in get booted do "global ban". Is there somekind of list of globally known asshats that are so bad that they can't join any battle-eye servers?

BTW.. Can someone explain "Global ban" from battle-eye? I am still new to using dedicated server and now ever so often some players that try to join in get booted do "global ban". Is there somekind of list of globally known asshats that are so bad that they can't join any battle-eye servers?

That's exactly right. BattlEye has caught them being 'asshats' as you put it and they are banned. Only by purchasing a new game (i.e a new key) can they re-join the fight.

That's exactly right. BattlEye has caught them being 'asshats' as you put it and they are banned. Only by purchasing a new game (i.e a new key) can they re-join the fight.

Does BattlEye ever mistake someone by accident for a ban when they were not hacking?

I would have to think that I would ban a random player for no reason.

Actually last weekend we had a problem with server settings that caused players get banned for for false reasons. Seems that Battle-eye doesn't always work as intended when dealing with "hacked data". Ofcourse more players got banned the old-fashioned way, being a douchebag while admin is watching. I had to make all items in the base indestructible.

the players getting banned for "false" reasons is that you havent changed the server.cfg.

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

I have highlighted in red your main issue, all you have to do is change it to this VVV

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

What it does is ban their player ID in the ban.txt in the main Arma 2 Directory, so you just need to delete those ID's.

if they are kicked due to bad signature verification youll find a lot of people banned.

I am essentially going on the assumption that you have used the server.cfg from bis's wiki website, if you have then you've been banning people by accident :)

Hope that helps

Dale