Sign in to follow this  
marker

Mods Server side & client side.

Hey guys.

Having recently came across from dayz, a small group of us have experienced how good arma ii is.

Now the question is.

I runs small 20 man server, running patrol ops and insurgency with ace etc.

I am hoping to find out what dictates a mod needs to be enabled server side as well.

I was hoping just to be able to upload the keys to enable the use of the mods while playing.

I am guessing, anything that changes the actual internals of the game needs to be uploaded, ie. New models, islands, sounds, vehicles and skins?

Is that right?

Thanks

Hello, Your are correct.

If for example you have a mission with units from a mod then that mod needs to be on the server.

Sound mods are client-side and thus aren't needed on the server, otherwise yes - anything that includes new units, vehicles, aircraft, maps etc. needs to be present on all clients and the server.

And if this stuff is in the mission.sqm (aka used in the editor) that content will create a dependency for clients to have those mods. If you have that content added via scripts only and it is not a dependency then people won't see that content and get plenty of errors to say the least which = bad.

What dictates adding the -mod=@whatever...???

I've installed multitudes of mods on our leased server... added the @folders, added the keys, neglected to add/append this line without any issue.

Color me confused.

If you didn't add the mods to the -mod line in startup then your server was not loading those mods.... unless you are using some kind of control panel software which does this for you automagically?

I apologize if this is a dead topic, but I have been searching for answers to this question. Whenever I add mods to my dedi server (using TADST), I get stuck on waiting for host and the arma2oaserver monitor spams with "read from bank" and I get stuck on waiting for host. Does anyone else have this issue? Scripts work just fine. If you would like me to make a new topic, I can do that.

Thanks.

Most likely your server is not loading the required mods for that mission - it would be easier to troubleshoot if we can see your RPT file which should log the error.

This is the error message that is in the .RPT file.

Missing addons detected:

caweapons_ammoboxes

CAWheeled2_TowingTractor

Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.caweapons_ammoboxes, CAWheeled2_TowingTractor

I was using the Tractor before adding mods. After I added the mods, I guess the tractor is an issue for some reason. Does adding mods disable certain vanilla vehicles?

I think you are not running Arma as Combined Operations (Arma 2 + Arma2 Operation Arrowhead) - do you have both games? You need to make sure your server and your client are both running CO.

See these threads for more info:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?108695-ArmA2-OA-you-cannot-play-edit-this-mission

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136347-Dedicated-server-wont-run-mission/page2

or google "Arma 2 run as combined operations"

I think you are not running Arma as Combined Operations (Arma 2 + Arma2 Operation Arrowhead) - do you have both games? You need to make sure your server and your client are both running CO.

See these threads for more info:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?108695-ArmA2-OA-you-cannot-play-edit-this-mission

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136347-Dedicated-server-wont-run-mission/page2

or google "Arma 2 run as combined operations"

Well, I actually did the last night and it seemed to have stopped that error but now when I try to join the server it tells me that I am missing the mod when I clearly have it enabled. Any ideas. Again, thanks for the assistance. If you need more details, let me know.

I would try testing your server with no mods loading on either server or client - make sure you can join with just vanilla Combined Operations. If that works add the mods back and then post the server RPT and your client RPT here for us to look at.

I would try testing your server with no mods loading on either server or client - make sure you can join with just vanilla Combined Operations. If that works add the mods back and then post the server RPT and your client RPT here for us to look at.

Alrighty, well what I did to fix that error was copy the AddOns folder from the Aram 2 directory and pasted it into my AO directory. I am not yet launching as CO as that fixed my issue. I will try to get it to run as combined ops so I can get the .RPT files for you. If I cannot get it to run as CO, I will let you know because I was attempting to do that last night before I found the other fix I mentioned earlier. I am at school right now so when I get home and log onto my desktop I will get working on that. Thanks!