Sign in to follow this  
gunso

Units Gain Experience?

I'm not sure if someone suggested this before but wouldnt it be better if the AI gains experience as long as it didnt die? Faster response, ability to avoid enemy fire and more accuracy as kills increased. Since we dont really have that many units to control, having them gain experience will make you more attached to them.

Kinda like OFP resistance.

I'm not sure if someone suggested this before but wouldnt it be better if the AI gains experience as long as it didnt die? Faster response, ability to avoid enemy fire and more accuracy as kills increased. Since we dont really have that many units to control, having them gain experience will make you more attached to them.

Not a bad idea. Names for units were also suggested some time back. Something to consider, I'll write it down among the feature suggestions list.

I also think, because someone wrote "20 Minutes until enemy attacks your island" and because it's basically a single player game: Focus on making the AI intelligent, variable, growing in experience, etc. etc. - in other words: "interesting and not predictable". Make the aspects like randomness user definable...

Also as for island positioning: Random Seed plus user choosable seed in order to be able to play the exact same game... (Dwarf Fortress has this on island generation)

BTW, island generation: Maybe one day we'll see an automatic island generator? :)

A few other that i think could add to the game, to increase its replay value since it's a long single player game and quite repetitive-

1. Upgradable carrier - Using resource to upgrade your carrier or units, Like a technology tree that will let you branch your upgrades towards maybe Heavy carrier with armor and heavy weapons, light but fast carrier that sacrifice armor for speed, or carrier that excels in recon/detection system but averaged out in firepower and etc. In short sacrificing something to gain other benefits at the player choosing. This way you can replay a skirmish game with different variety and style again and again increasing it's replay value. Some physical changes to the carrier model to reflect it's capability would be great for identifying what type of carrier you are going against. Higher mast tower for advance surveillance, thicker side body for carrier with advance armor and etc.

2. Fighting vs multiple enemy carrier - With carrier variety through upgrades, it will be fun to go against multiple enemy carrier that will also have different configurations. It's also possible to have a multiplayer game with each player having his own carrier with this. So even in multiplayer later, players will be going against variety of carriers type out there.

3. Defending island - Let players to remotely control the island defenses while the carrier is slowly moving to reinforce it. Stop the time warp when island is being attacked. Give option to the player if he wants to control the island defenses jumping from vehicle or turret by clicking on the island map. This way player dont need to rush his carrier around since he can actively participate in island defenses by jumping to the island.

With the ability to manually defense his island through remote, the need for carriers to have ridiculously fast acceleration can be eliminated. Let the player have the ability to send his manta as reinforcement. It will run on the background and player will be notified when his manta has arrived while he is busy defending it using available defenses on the island.

This way, the idle time in the game can be eliminated since players will be more productive taking direct action in defending his island instead of sitting in his carrier quietly.

4. Units experience - regarding this, it would be great if there is certain upgradable items that is only available to experience units like additional armor, faster engine, cloaking ability,counter jammer and etc as a reward for veteran status. This will give players incentives to manually control the weakest units to increase its kill. Can also apply to island defenses too.

5. Island sea battles - Adding island assault units to attack your carrier when you arrived would be great addition, it's time to get all those side turret to work. You will also get to practice maneuvering your carrier on battle station before having the biggest fight with AI carriers. Moving around on water is much better too for the AI. This will also provide islands with a formidable defensive capability instead of just waiting for a enemy units to assault them on land. With the carrier acceleration speed set to realistic, it will not feel too fast like an arcade shooter and players will actually have to rely on his units and turrets to actually defend his carrier and not fast acceleration speed.

Edited by gunso

May I add ... ?

6. Build island Defences and production structures. Let the players to choose what defence and production structures to build and where to build them on island along with the capability to control them (3). Something like island commander mode. It will be a valuable addon on strategy.

Very late for me to jump in this forum but those are great ideas that I would agree with.

Now if only I could get the graphics to work right and see how it is now.-_-

Anyways if I could add another interest.

7.) Multiplayer! Co-op or pvp either works for me. If you make it co-op the two carriers would be weaker then they would on one player and maybe the AI would be somewhat more vicious and cunning causing the players to work together more. PVP would be kinda difficult on this one though but you could make them both sides have the same 'player' ship and allow 2v2, 3v3, ect teams go at it. (Or even a 1v11..) Of couse this would also have to go with the plan for a good random island generator.

If you have an Nvidea card, try setting the card for best performance. That should fix the "everything is transparent" issue. I've reported it and that issue should be fixed in the full game.

A few other that i think could add to the game, to increase its replay value since it's a long single player game and quite repetitive-

1. Upgradable carrier - Using resource to upgrade your carrier or units, Like a technology tree that will let you branch your upgrades towards maybe Heavy carrier with armor and heavy weapons, light but fast carrier that sacrifice armor for speed, or carrier that excels in recon/detection system but averaged out in firepower and etc. In short sacrificing something to gain other benefits at the player choosing. This way you can replay a skirmish game with different variety and style again and again increasing it's replay value. Some physical changes to the carrier model to reflect it's capability would be great for identifying what type of carrier you are going against. Higher mast tower for advance surveillance, thicker side body for carrier with advance armor and etc.

2. Fighting vs multiple enemy carrier - With carrier variety through upgrades, it will be fun to go against multiple enemy carrier that will also have different configurations. It's also possible to have a multiplayer game with each player having his own carrier with this. So even in multiplayer later, players will be going against variety of carriers type out there.

3. Defending island - Let players to remotely control the island defenses while the carrier is slowly moving to reinforce it. Stop the time warp when island is being attacked. Give option to the player if he wants to control the island defenses jumping from vehicle or turret by clicking on the island map. This way player dont need to rush his carrier around since he can actively participate in island defenses by jumping to the island.

With the ability to manually defense his island through remote, the need for carriers to have ridiculously fast acceleration can be eliminated. Let the player have the ability to send his manta as reinforcement. It will run on the background and player will be notified when his manta has arrived while he is busy defending it using available defenses on the island.

This way, the idle time in the game can be eliminated since players will be more productive taking direct action in defending his island instead of sitting in his carrier quietly.

4. Units experience - regarding this, it would be great if there is certain upgradable items that is only available to experience units like additional armor, faster engine, cloaking ability,counter jammer and etc as a reward for veteran status. This will give players incentives to manually control the weakest units to increase its kill. Can also apply to island defenses too.

5. Island sea battles - Adding island assault units to attack your carrier when you arrived would be great addition, it's time to get all those side turret to work. You will also get to practice maneuvering your carrier on battle station before having the biggest fight with AI carriers. Moving around on water is much better too for the AI. This will also provide islands with a formidable defensive capability instead of just waiting for a enemy units to assault them on land. With the carrier acceleration speed set to realistic, it will not feel too fast like an arcade shooter and players will actually have to rely on his units and turrets to actually defend his carrier and not fast acceleration speed.

I really like these. Especially 3 though I'd like you have to use your limited equipment to achieve this like having a Walrus equipped with a remote HQ control module parked in range to the command center of an island allows the manual control of the island defenses. For the Mantas I'd like to have that control range extender module from the original game back. It was fun sending the Mantas island hopping and help island defense and go for the enemy carrier with the Mantas only.

May I add ... ?

6. Build island Defences and production structures. Let the players to choose what defence and production structures to build and where to build them on island along with the capability to control them (3). Something like island commander mode. It will be a valuable addon on strategy.

Yes, or at least some hardcore resource mode where you have to produce and distribute all the island vehicles, defense cannons, vehicle modules, separate carrier and vehicle fuels/ carrier spare parts and actual ammunition as well.

Edited by Tortoise

I really like these. Especially 3 though I'd like you have to use your limited equipment to achieve this like having a Walrus equipped with a remote HQ control module parked in range to the command center of an island allows the manual control of the island defenses. For the Mantas I'd like to have that control range extender module from the original game back. It was fun sending the Mantas island hopping and help island defense and go for the enemy carrier with the Mantas only.

That strategy I prefered, too. The only problem was in the original game, if you send your mantas parked at an island, the walrusses and the carrier had to do extrashifts. In this version, the terrain, does make everything difficult with the walrusses. It is one easy in the classic thing to just blow up the vulcanoshaped manta hangar with the cruise missiles or the main gun and take on the easy targetable missilelauncher with just one walrus on a plain island and than launch the virusbomb to turn the island from red to blue... But this would not work in the new game. If it comes that would be great. I would like another extra 4 mantas in my hangar of the carrier at the same time. I hate to navigate without aircover, with plasmas on board. ;-)

The problem i notice with this new version of carrier command is that it loads each new island, not like the older version. Maybe because it's made to support the console too. So switching units to and fro far away gonna be a problem because of the loading time.

But maybe with island upgrade, the same result can be achieved. Upgrading island with HQ module so you can remote control it especially when your are beginning to have more island. Controlling the island defense wont be a problem for BIS i think, just let the carrier run it's course while the player transported to the island to defend. Even on multiplayer, let all player transport to the island so it's easier for the game to manage it since it will render only 1 area at one time for everyone.

I have another suggestion for multiplayer-

8. Multiplayer:-

8.1 - 9 players per team - 1 as carrier commander, the rest as the crew. The carrier should have a lobby area so no AFK player will hog a unit and let the commander have the option to move player to the lobby/carrier waiting room in case he's AFK.

8.2 - To keep new players from wasting vehicles, let the commander set minimum kill point needed to access certain vehicles. So people with low kill points can only access the carrier turrets and work themselves up from there.

8.3 - Each player will only have accessed to 1 vehicle per island - If you destroyed it, you will be stuck at carrier turret control. This will force people to work together and lone rambo will be punished as turret gunner until the next island.

8.4 - Commander can assign certain vehicle slot for players to occupy, like a pilot roster so an experience player can be assigned to slot 1 where a much expensive vehicle for specific role is ready.

8.5 In short:-

- All player vehicle crew/pilot will hang around in the carrier lobby or briefing room

- Commander can assign vehicle slots and carrier turret for specific players

- Commander can set limit to how many vehicles per player for an island (useful for public server)

- Player in vehicle dock will require a go notice from commander before he's able to launch, click ready and wait for commander verification. AFK players can be moved by commander so other player can take over.

- Commander can set turrets/vehicles to safe so griefers cant waste ammo or shoot his own friends.