Sign in to follow this  
mordeaniischaos

Better Accessory Support?

One of the most disappointing things about buying a flight stick recently was the absolutely awful implementation that exists in ArmA 2. So I'm curious is ArmA 3 will use them properly, and if it might be possible to also use a wheel and pedals for ground vehicles. Have they commented on any of this? Seems like if they are taking a lot of code over from ToH then I would think it would have better support for a flight stick. Plus being able to control all vehicles with appropriate (ish) controllers would be awesome.

What, in particular, was so "absolutley aweful" about the way it was in ArmA2? Admitdedly it took a little bit of configuration in the Key-Bindings section to get my Joystick working, but nothing too out of the way. Ater that, works very well and I've not encountered any issues with it.

Edited by Cwivey

I have not yet set up my Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X stick with Arma 2 but I hope it won't be a painful process as you described.

The controller support is actually quite decent, the only game I have seen so far that instantly recognised a Spacepilot Pro.

There may be a bit of messing around during set-up, but I haven't had any problems with xbox controller, Siatek Cyborg Evo, Fly 5 and the aforementioned Spacepilot Pro.

What, in particular, was so "absolutley aweful" about the way it was in ArmA2? Admitdedly it took a little bit of configuration in the Key-Bindings section to get my Joystick working, but nothing too out of the way. Ater that, works very well and I've not encountered any issues with it.

+1, I've had no issues whatsoever with my Logitech Extreme3D Pro.

Every controller I've used with ARMA has always done exactly what I've told it to...

When I'm on foot I use Xbox controller (analogue stick) & mouse

For driving I use wheel & pedals

For flying I use joystick & throttle & pedals

The support & ability to configure each and every function is like no other game I've ever seen.

It's brilliant and I can only presume that ARMA 3 will be the same or even better if that's possible :-)

Guys, armaIII isnt going to be as realistic as you believe, get dcs combined arms! haha,

Guys, armaIII isnt going to be as realistic as you believe, get dcs combined arms! haha,

Not for me that one, I'm not into 3rd person god style games.

Does it have any infantry in the game?

Looks visually like Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (ARMA 1)

Edited by FeralCircus

The only "issue" setting up the keys (in general) is because the names of the controls in Arma2 are sometimes very similar, act almost the same or don't exactly do what their name suggests (not all of them of course). The group the controls are in also was sometimes not complete. E.g. i know i searched the push-for-view-zoom-in for Planes quite a long time, had to trial & error quite a bunch of control-options till i found the right one. It was not in the aircraft-controls section iirc. If i wouldn't have seen this control in usage on a Youtube vid i would still have to crawl into my screen to see the enemy pixel that is supposed to be the tank i want to shoot while using planes/helis =P

I have a TrackIR + track clip, CH flight sim, CH pro pedals and Saitek Cyborg Evo force.

Of all of the above i only had to configure the pedals because they act as a joystick (x and y axis), but they do this in every sim i have tried them on.

Arma 2 had great joystick support, i'm sure ArmA 3 will have even better joystick support.