Sign in to follow this  
PELHAM

Warning! - 6 updater users and latest beta patch to 1.61 - Multiplayer problems

If you casually update with 6 updater like me, you may find yourself with a problem. The latest beta patches update the game and/or battleeye to version 1.61. It's all changes relating to the Army of the Czech Republic addon and will give us ACR lite with the next game update. All good stuff, but what isn't explained is that while you update to game version 1.61 nearly all the servers will still be on 1.60 and you will not be able to connect. You will notice that the majority of servers will have a red X icon next to them. Upon joining the server you will be kicked with a "Failed to connect" error message.

Deleting the beta folder will not solve the problem as battleeye is also changed. You will have to reinstall that as well. If you also download the ARMA 2: OA 1.61 (Release Candidate #2) build 95054 you will be totally screwed and require a full game re-install, so especially don't do that without reading the smallprint. It is in the beta forum section and looks almost like a beta patch, installs the same way, but it isn't. It permanently changes the game. You have been warned!:

-Don't apply the latest beta patch with 6 updater until your favourite server has also done so.

-Don't install the 1.61 update release candidates unless you really want to, it can't be undone without a full re-install.

Edited by PELHAM

Is there a way to prevent Sixupdater from installing the new beta patch? Or, do I need to avoid using it all together?

You should be able to use any 1.60 beta patch in combination with the 1.61 RCs.

For a time already we've been considering supporting multiple beta versions, especially now with the 1.60->1.61 and BE changes it would make sense. The need to manually change the BE build (upgrade or downgrade) doesn't make things easier.

You can install and use any Beta manually in any case, normally I could also recommend temporary swapping back to without Beta, however that's not possible currently if you want to use ACRE due to the CallExtensions requirement, and that only being available since some Beta.

The situation is not very ideal, but luckily it should be very temporary, AFAIK 1.61 full patch is imminent, and it should sort out the situation properly.

Testing 1.61 and getting the feedback/reports to BI is crucial as well.

Will look into ways how we can improve the situation.

Edited by Sickboy

For a time already we've been considering supporting multiple beta versions, especially now with the 1.60->1.61 and BE changes it would make sense. The need to manually change the BE build (upgrade or downgrade) doesn't make things easier.

You can install and use any Beta manually in any case, normally I could also recommend temporary swapping back to without Beta, however that's not possible currently if you want to use ACRE due to the CallExtensions requirement, and that only being available since some Beta.

The situation is not very ideal, but luckily it should be very temporary, AFAIK 1.61 full patch is imminent, and it should sort out the situation properly.

Testing 1.61 and getting the feedback/reports to BI is crucial as well.

Will look into ways how we can improve the situation.

Thanks for all you do Sickboy and keep up the good work, it's not just a SixUpdater problem as you could easily get yourself into a mess if you apply the beta patches manually. Hopefully it will only be a few days lol. Interesting to see the 1st post on 94876 has been updated lol.

Edited by PELHAM

Yes in SIX Launcher you can uncheck the "update beta version" box in the options. However if you update to a 1.61 beta you can simply delete the beta folder and apply a 1.60 beta patch to play on 1.60 servers again. ;)

At least SIX Launcher and Updater both now deal with the BattlEye installation; http://www.six-updater.net/2012/07/important-note-re-161-beta-patch-fix.html

Thanks for all you do Sickboy and keep up the good work, it's not just a SixUpdater problem as you could easily get yourself into a mess if you apply the beta patches manually. Hopefully it will only be a few days lol. Interesting to see the 1st post on 94876 has been updated lol.
NP :)

You don't seems to be aware that manual (at least older) beta install didn't force BE install unless BE was manually uninstalled before executing the beta installer. Latest six launcher did and this caused all wonderful problems.

Dunno but you might want to add prompt to this other ways fine software which would ask permission before touching the battleye or beta folder files. I believe that I might not be the only one who thinks that "if it works, don't touch it". I really don't want to update either as long "my servers" agree with the versions I'm using. The goal is to update client stuff after servers have updated theirs - not vice versa.

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Yes in SIX Launcher you can uncheck the "update beta version" box in the options. However if you update to a 1.61 beta you can simply delete the beta folder and apply a 1.60 beta patch to play on 1.60 servers again. ;)

Not exactly because the battleye has been updated to version which 1.60 servers definitely doesn't support. You have to also uninstall the battleye manually and find version which works with your preferred server. This kind of version may or may not come with the latest beta client "the server" would other ways support. Best way I've found out so far is to reinstall steam version of the BE and let MP server to update it to latest version it supports.

Better walk-through for downgrading here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137408-Six-launcher-beta-no-response-from-server-client-crash-during-mp-init&p=2190998#post2190998

Edited by Noble75

I don't see this in Options. Where is this checkbox mate?

You don't seems to be aware that manual (at least older) beta install didn't force BE install unless BE was manually uninstalled before executing the beta installer. Latest six launcher did and this caused all wonderful problems.

Dunno but you might want to add prompt to this other ways fine software which would ask permission before touching the battleye or beta folder files. I believe that I might not be the only one who thinks that "if it works, don't touch it". I really don't want to update either as long "my servers" agree with the versions I'm using. The goal is to update client stuff after servers have updated theirs - not vice versa.

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Not exactly because the battleye has been updated to version which 1.60 servers definitely doesn't support. You have to also uninstall the battleye manually and find version which works with your preferred server. This kind of version may or may not come with the latest beta client "the server" would other ways support. Best way I've found out so far is to reinstall steam version of the BE and let MP server to update it to latest version it supports.

Better walk-through for downgrading here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137408-Six-launcher-beta-no-response-from-server-client-crash-during-mp-init&p=2190998#post2190998

Every Beta patch installs BattlEye silently in the background! Yes even the official installers! So stop putting the problem on our software!

Obviously when there is a new Beta patch pushed on the network that requires a new BE, BE obviously must be upgraded otherwise the game doesn't work!

If downgrading the Beta from 1.62 to 1.61 or 1.60 does not properly reinstall the corresponding BE version, then pick it up with Bohemia Interactive, they have an issue in their installer then. https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/CIT

We all have to coop with this messed up version situation and BE incompatibilities, You, me, anyone.

For the rest see my responses to you earlier (Remember, Chicken-Egg Server-Client updating?), we've also said we will try to deal with the Betas better in the future,

but there are 30k DayZ players who required the latest Betas too that needed to be taken into consideration.

Im about done with this senseless discussion.

If you have specific constructive feedback, please post it to our Issue Tracker. http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

I've spoken to $able, developer of the BattlEye and according to him, the BE installer with the betas does actually properly overwrite the BE installation with older or newer versions depending on which you are installing.

However the dll files in the C:\Users\Username\appdata\local\ARMA 2 OA\BattlEye are never downgraded, they only allow upgrading.

So, if you wish to downgrade from a 1.62 or 1.61 Beta, to an older version, you should delete the above mentioned BattlEye folder,

that's all there is to it.

Added How to revert to an older Beta version FAQ section: http://www.six-updater.net/p/documentation.html

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

I don't see this in Options. Where is this checkbox mate?
Is the software up2date?

15ufix_thumb.png

After enabling the Option, don't forget to completely remove the Beta folder and manually install the Beta of choice.

Edited by Sickboy

so we are screwed when playing on older servers. but is the new version good to go in the future? so when i wait a week and with new updates will all work?

so we are screwed when playing on older servers. but is the new version good to go in the future? so when i wait a week and with new updates will all work?
If you want to go back to v1.60, you can downgrade;
Added How to revert to an older Beta version FAQ section: http://www.six-updater.net/p/documentation.html

Hopefully the final v1.62 is being released soon.

I´m changing betas more frequently than my underwear lately...no problems at all :j:

(using latest beta for dayz and 1.60/94700 for community server)

I can´t comprehend why we should be screwed playing on older servers :confused: