Sign in to follow this  
dissaifer

New to modeling - Blender import issue

Ok, I've created a model to use in Blender, set it to flat and tried to import it into O2 in OBJ format. The issue is that I'm getting the lines aren't connecting to the vertices, unless I view the model from the back... odd.

I tried using Leo's export to p3d from blender, but every time I try to import it just fails.

I checked the normals in Blender and they seem to be fine... so, I don't know what else to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean the faces become invisible or something?

In that case, just reverse them on that side.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

I had the same issue with Blender. Never found a way, so i would be also happy for an answer. The most sucking thing is, that you can´t select the faces when they are backside. This seems to appear only with some random faces for me.

A workaround is to copy all faces and flip them, so all is doubleside visible. Bad for high polys.

@Archosaurusrev: It happens only in some faces all about the place, so you can´t really select them. Also when you flip the polys from hand it has an bad effekt to the next face.

Edited by Baraka

What occurs is as you look around the model, the lines connecting the vertices connect in the far side of the model. As you rotate, the connections disappear to the close ones and appear on the far side.

So, I should copy all the faces in Blender and fix them?

7432859862_c11686b270_m.jpg

is that big enough to see the issue? the vertices in the foreground aren't connected

erm...no. Make a bigger screenshot, it is near to impossible to recognize anything on the pic. Remember allowed pic size of 100kb, if your screenshot goes beyond, use a online file/picture hoster to upload.

You can merge the polys when you select them and press "shift+d".

Or you can create a new face in the empty room.You have only to select 4 vertices and use "create polygon"

Edited by Baraka

Yeah I guess I could do that, but I figured because I'm new to this and that the p3d failed also that I'm probably doing something wrong.

Okay, here's an update from what I found playing around. All of the normals were inverted. So, I could only see the inside of the object. Going back into blender and flipping the normals temporarily fixed that issue.

Now, I'm having the same problem on the outside. Tried double siding the object, but it doesn't seem you can do that?

Also, for entertainment value I pbo'ed it up just to see what it'd do. Well, for some reason the scale on it is huge and oddly backward! Not sure what that is about.

1. double sided doesn't work right. Plus i am pretty sure you are talking about shader and not object here.

2. O2 units are meters. It should import properly if blender units would be the same.

Double sided doesn't work right... okay going to have to expand the model. Not sure what you mean by the shader...

Right, I know it is in meters, but it didn't import correctly because I used the bysta.p3d to model around. Maybe I touched, or didn't touch something I should have.

<a  href=152597button.jpg' alt='152597button.jpg'

This button must be enabled to see all sides of the object.

Well, that kind of worked. As I can see the other side, but that doesn't correct the actual view of it in the game. I was looking at AT_glasses and the box had normals on both sides... is there a way to achieve this? Auto-calculate normals doesn't appear to work.

copy selection and invert normals - you'll end up with some sort of double faced 0 width sheet of thing

i can hardly recommend having 2 overlapping faces with opposing normals (although a lot of A1 samples have it). from a modelling POV, i would always prefer having increased poly number but proper shelled mesh.