Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Domination or Evolution?

Do you prefer Domination or Evolution?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Domination or Evolution?

• I prefer Domination.
    • I prefer Evolution.

I've been an active member of the community ever since the OFP days. I never have played Domination or really know what it is. So I'm here to ask what is the difference between Evo and Dom?

Also do you prefer Domination or Evolution to play?

Excuse my rudeness, have you been away for a while? People nowadays love to play around daisy fields... surviving zombies outbreak in Cherno.

Anyway, as for Evo and Dom, personally I think they both kinda the same... rarely play either of those anyway either

I don't know what you're talking about "daisy fields" but I did have an island independent dynamic zombie mission framework a few months back.

If you rarely play Evo or Dom what do you instead play? I'd like to get an idea what the multiplayer community is doing nowadays.

In Arma1 it was all about Evolution, I used to play a lot of it then. There where some Domination servers, but not nearly as many Evo servers. When Arma2 came out there was a shift for some reason and the popularity of Evolution fell off and it was mostly Domination that where plentiful. I like both mission types, but at the moment the only real choice is Domination. It's been a while since I checked to see if there are any Evo serves these days, but I don't think there are.

In Arma1 it was all about Evolution, I used to play a lot of it then. There where some Domination servers, but not nearly as many Evo servers. When Arma2 came out there was a shift for some reason and the popularity of Evolution fell off and it was mostly Domination that where plentiful. I like both mission types, but at the moment the only real choice is Domination. It's been a while since I checked to see if there are any Evo serves these days, but I don't think there are.

Thanks for the info. What exactly is Domination? I can't find anything about what it is. I used to play Evo all the time back in ArmA1 and never Domination. When I see a thread about it all I see are things like "an updated version of the classic Domination game mode".

By Daisy fields I meant is the dayZ mod - zombie apocalypse survival game mode. Havent tried myself. As for me, I usually jump into warfare server..

Domination is very similar to Evo, you basically start at a base (with ammo boxes, Tanks, planes etc) and Capture occupied towns full of AI. You do this for a number of towns on the map until you win. There are also side missions that can be undertaken. Like Evo there are Para jump flags and MHQs that can be spawned at.

hmm lets see if I remember some of the differences....

In Evo The main feature was that you "evolved" through ranks to gain access to better weapons/vehicles - In Dom it is all available right away (Although in the later iterations you can set it to ranked if you like, via mission properties iirc)

In Evo players chose what town to attack - In Dom it's automatic

In Evo small convoys came through every once a while until the Radio tower was destroyed - In Dom the same thing applies, but the reinforcements are much more and often.

In Evo you built up points and could use these points to "call in" some thing, like a precision strike or an ammo box. - In Dom only squad-leaders can do this.

In Evo to clear a town you had to destroy the radio tower kill a % of occupying enemy (Don't think it was 100%) - in Dom You must destroy the Radio tower, capture several "camps" in the town, kill a Percent of enemy and some times do other objective (like kill a "drug lord" etc)

They are very similar as you can see. I think there used to be more difference back when both game modes where in their infancy. These days there are so many Mission parameters you can set that you can pretty much add in or take out whatever feature you like- eg making Dom ranked etc

PS I can't believe there are people who haven't tried DayZ. It is well worth at least seeing what it all about...even if it's just once. There is a high probability you will really enjoy it, even if you don't like zombie horror/mmos/or you feel you can only play "real" MilSim. ;)

Edited by -=seany=-

I used to play Evo in A1 with my friends that weren't ARMA players, they seem to really enjoy and I went along as it was kind of a showcase for the weapons\vehicles and Sahrani itself.

At A2 an OA launch I used to play Domi but it got tedious. In the end, is the player cooperation that make or break this kind of mission.

On a side note: Domination is not coming back for A3, at least not by the hands of its maker.

Thank you for the very informative posts Smurf and Seany. I think I'll give Domination a try with my buddies on my server. We've been playing Hohei Evolution for a while now and it's become sort of 'stale' to us. Hasn't been updated in a long time and it's got quite a bit of bugs.

Anyway I think Domination seems more our style anyway. Thanks for the information.

Are there any specific editions of Domination you guys recommend?

In domination you can easily dominate the towns once you have jets but in evo towns have a really aggressive AA capabilities. Most player in jets will spend a lot of time doing holding pattern waiting for ground units but in evo jet players will be really busy tackling enemy air reinforcement and attacking towns is really risky.

In short, if you're new play domination first. After you're confident with your skills and want a faster pace action play evo. Expect to die a lot in evo, the pace is pretty hectic. Evo is pretty fun to play when the servers is more than half full.

I've been an active member of the community ever since the OFP days.

And since those days you still suffer from being unable to post in the correct section and search before posting?

Infraction +1, only a few days ago I told you to search before posting.

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.

§8) Post in the right forum

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator.