Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Apocalypse - Invade. Control. Conquer

Hey Roadkill,

Gonna sound like stupid questions but I'm going to ask any how.

1-Do you have the .pbo file MARKB50_Apocalypse file in a mod/Addons folder and running the mod?

If you answered yes to this, Are you starting the mod via the target line in the shortcut?

Yes I am running it as a mod, im running it via a mod launcher.

I've removed all the other config files and it still hangs, I shall have to investigate further.

I have a feeling it could be something in my Nogovan Armed Forces Mod Folder, I'm currently testing my new Nogovan Highland Rangers, they could be causing an issue potentially, will have to test without them loaded.

Edited by R0adki11

After 3 hours and forty five minutes, just about to cap the last camp on huertgenwald map and wouldn't ya know it I met a bullet w/my name on it!

That the reason why I believe that respawn (or team switch, if you want more realism) is an absolutely necessary feature.

Speaking of team switch, as far as I know, implementing is just a matter of making changing AI from "Non Playable" to "Playable" and ARMA does the rest for you.

team switch is enabled already. you just have to select the options in the comms menu or in the Group Manager dialog.

PLUS

you can save any time you want.

To say respawn in necessary is an opinion and is a choice of style, since you dont like the use of saves.

I'm not against adding features, as anyone reading the history of my missions will plainly see. I'll continue to look into it. But, its not as easy as you think since I dont know of any mission that uses High Command and respawn correctly. Plus you do have options currently.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Yes I am running it as a mod, im running it via a mod launcher.

I've removed all the other config files and it still hangs, I shall have to investigate further.

I have a feeling it could be something in my Nogovan Armed Forces Mod Folder, I'm currently testing my new Nogovan Highland Rangers, they could be causing an issue potentially, will have to test without them loaded.

Let me know how that goes. If all you are doing is running the core "Apocalypse" pbo the only thing that can remotely be affect on startup is the config.cpp file, which hardly anything is in there except some other-side versions of BIS troops.

This is assuming you are saying it wont even load the game. If you get into the game and it wont load the mission, let me know what mission you are doing and maybe i can figure it out.

team switch is enabled already. you just have to select the options in the comms menu or in the Group Manager dialog.

PLUS

you can save any time you want.

To say respawn in necessary is an opinion and is a choice of style, since you dont like the use of saves.

I'm not against adding features, as anyone reading the history of my missions will plainly see. I'll continue to look into it. But, its not as easy as you think since I dont know of any mission that uses High Command and respawn correctly. Plus you do have options currently.

The problem with not being able to respawn is that in certain situations you have to load your save ever 10 seconds, in hopes that you don't get killed by that tank you didn't saw when you saved.

Which is both incredibly boring and takes you out of the experience.

Being able to team witch between AI in your group only doesn't solve that, unless you're lucky and get targeted last.

Lack of respawn also enforces a certain style of play, because you know that you can't continue playing if you do something stupid (read: something fun), thus actually heavily minimizing the freedom of play.

For example in Operation Flashpoint, you can switch to a machinegunner and go full rambo on your enemy (or start road-raging, or something else just as fun), get shot, have a laugh, go back to playing normally the same battle.

That wouldn't be an issue if you were trying to make a realistic mission but considering other game mechanics in your mod, that's not your goal.

Let me know how that goes. If all you are doing is running the core "Apocalypse" pbo the only thing that can remotely be affect on startup is the config.cpp file, which hardly anything is in there except some other-side versions of BIS troops.

This is assuming you are saying it wont even load the game. If you get into the game and it wont load the mission, let me know what mission you are doing and maybe i can figure it out.

Sorted the issue, it was one of my addons which i was loading was making the game hang up on start up. But odd, but all sorted now.

The problem with not being able to respawn is that in certain situations you have to load your save ever 10 seconds, in hopes that you don't get killed by that tank you didn't saw when you saved.

Which is both incredibly boring and takes you out of the experience.

Being able to team witch between AI in your group only doesn't solve that, unless you're lucky and get targeted last.

Lack of respawn also enforces a certain style of play, because you know that you can't continue playing if you do something stupid (read: something fun), thus actually heavily minimizing the freedom of play.

For example in Operation Flashpoint, you can switch to a machinegunner and go full rambo on your enemy (or start road-raging, or something else just as fun), get shot, have a laugh, go back to playing normally the same battle.

That wouldn't be an issue if you were trying to make a realistic mission but considering other game mechanics in your mod, that's not your goal.

well, i am looking at Demonized's SP respawn script and seeing how it works, and then figure out how to do it for this mission. So, i'm sure ill put out some version of this. Hopefully this will work. Its basically a glorified teamswitch

well, i am looking at Demonized's SP respawn script and seeing how it works, and then figure out how to do it for this mission. So, i'm sure ill put out some version of this. Hopefully this will work. Its basically a glorified teamswitch

I'm sorry if I sounded like an asshole.

I still enjoy playing both of your missions even though they don't have respawn (I usually just start over when I die).

WOW mark great mission. had some LONG and intense games here :P thank you so much.

I was wondering if we could have support for the PLA mod link here

would love to have a powerful enemy other than Russia.

again great mission and the continued support is most welcome and awesome.

how stable is that one? i considered adding it before but i saw from its thread that it had issues and hasnt been updated in a while?

If you have any good info for me on that one, what works and doesnt, i can surely add it in! would be awesome to have the PLA in the game!

hey Mark,.

Working on Hazar-kot. Doesn't seem a whole lot bigger then utes. Its also a mtn/valley type island making some areas real hard to place a camp. However soon as I think its close I'll send it to ya. btw I'm not a fan of the respawn. the save is cool when ya have to put the game down n such. but kiber is right it changes your style of play when dead is dead!

how stable is that one? i considered adding it before but i saw from its thread that it had issues and hasnt been updated in a while?

If you have any good info for me on that one, what works and doesnt, i can surely add it in! would be awesome to have the PLA in the game!

Hi Mark, I was un-aware the issues on this mod. I have been running it fine in my own missions. sorry.

yeah a couple of little issues that don't seem to affect gameplay. i'm adding them in.

I'm adding in the vehicles, woodland troops, desert troops, and sf troops. They provide a bunch of other uniform types but im not sure what they are for.

yeah a couple of little issues that don't seem to affect gameplay. I'm adding them in.

what a guy :p

hey you said you play with this mod, can you tell me what all the different units types? they have the base soldier who is in desert camo, then a "C" variant in woodland, a "MR" variant (motor rifle?) in a blueish camo, a "T" version in what looks like Multicam, and a "AP" version in a lighter green with different weapons. Anyone know what this means? I'll post on the PLA thread as well.

Version 2.6:

- new addon : VME's PLA mod. Now the armed forces of China can be used. Including several unit variants - Woodland, Desert, Urban, Special Forces, Airborne, and Marines, plus vehicles

- new config : PLA is OPFOR, so provided new Config PBO to allow PLA forces to be put on any side... USA vs RUSSIA vs CHINA three-way? Yes, please!

- new island : Huertgenwald is now supported!

- new : RESPAWN ability enabled.

- new : If you have a Mobile HQ, you will respawn at the Mobile HQ

- new : If you dont have a Mobile HQ, you will respawn in an incoming aircraft like you do at the beginning.

- new : If you have members in your group, your aircraft destination will be your troops, so you wont have to travel across the country to link up

- new : ability to set the start time of the mission to a specific hour (12 AM - 11PM)

- new : STATIC DEFENDERS. the game will attempt to man every camp that has static defenses. If you choose a side to have initial defenders, you should see ALOT more initial forces defending camps

- tweak : chance of certain types of camps (ones with static weapons) increased slightly

- fix : code wasnt allowing Long Range Patrol groups to transition to Camp patrols. Now they will and you will see a better spread of travelling groups vs defensive patrol groups.

NOTE: the PLA config file was just built here while i'm at work so only about 90% sure it is bug-free. Let me know if theres an issue and i can fix it up.

Edited by markb50k

Houston I have a prob w Apoc 2.6-

Game hangs on faction initiation screen. Whats dif on my end- I upgraded to BIS 1.62 official patch. That said, I tried the "new" BIS patch unmoded, also went back to previous beta 95208 no joy.

So I tried previous APoc Mis v2.5 with BIS OP 1.62 w/ all me mods and Apoc loaded np! Any Ideas?

I'm sure it's a typo in the factions file. Will put out fix in the morning. Sorry.

v2.6 looks fantastic, can't wait to try it out.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

I've noticed that mission files haven't changed in size since forever. If I'm updating from older to newer version, I don't need to update mission filer, right?

v2.6 looks fantastic, can't wait to try it out.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

I've noticed that mission files haven't changed in size since forever. If I'm updating from older to newer version, I don't need to update mission filer, right?

Yup you're right. Other than getting newly release island versions, no need to update the mission pbos. All the code is in the Addon pbo.

UPDATE:

Version 2.61:

- fix : new games were being held up at Initializing Factions

Mark u r awesome ,but I've always said that 'bout u!

tyvm 4 the quick fix! Hazar-kot is ready for inspection sir!

Edited by ht-57

Thanks man. I know Hazar-Kot is a popular map, so after some thought, I'll probably still let it in even if it doesnt have enough base locations. Will take a look at it as soon as i can.

Came across a script that randomly places IED's along roadsides near towns and cities. they can be disarmed aswell.

Could add a nice lil twist to the Apoc missions, If its not a big hit on performance that is. It uses a game logic and a function module. here's the link- http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17260

Your thoughts?

Is there any way this mission and lost can be put on sixupdater? I noticed there are no missions on there but it would be cool if the addon files could be updated that way.

Thanks man. I know Hazar-Kot is a popular map, so after some thought, I'll probably still let it in even if it doesnt have enough base locations. Will take a look at it as soon as i can.

This mission was already a gem to begin with but with all these new features being added almost daily, we have something really special and unique here. Thanks for your continued support Markb.

Came across a script that randomly places IED's along roadsides near towns and cities. they can be disarmed aswell.

Could add a nice lil twist to the Apoc missions, If its not a big hit on performance that is. It uses a game logic and a function module. here's the link- http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17260

Your thoughts?

I second this suggestion.

There might be a problem with AI, since you either have to program AI to disarm it or let them just die every time but I think even better solution would to make AI cheat a bit.

Every time an AI group enter an area around IED, IMO the game should randomly decide (with like 50% chance) is AI either blows itself up or disarms it. Without any actual actions necessary to be done from the AI side, it won't conflict with AI mods and won't take any noticeable amount of performance.