Sign in to follow this  
Airwolf

Sound crackeling, sound horrible

Hi, i have a soundblaster live! 5.1 digital sound card, whenever i play ofp many sounds such as the trucks engine sound crackle and pop, it sounds like a bad quality VHS, it really sounds bad and its really anoying... you could go insane listening to that poping and crackeling, i tried disableing the EAX in the audio options, but when i exit the menu and go back in, the EAX is enabled again, can anyone who had this problem offer some advice please?

It's a soundblaster driver error. It also appear in other games that uses similar sound types (i.e. engines, etc)

See Avon's FAQ for solution

If you are running Win2k/XP with that card, then you got a problem.

There are known crackling/hissing issues with Win2k/XP and SBlive-series.

...and it does'nt seem like Creative gives a shit about it mad.gif

i am running xp, so theres no way to fix it? it doesnt crackel in any of my other games.

The only way to get rid of it is by disabling EAX AND hardware acceleration. You can achieve the same thing by reducing HW acceleration level in the sound control panel (from windows).

I noticed it when I was using the onboard AC97 sound. Then I picked up a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card thinking that would help and it didn't. How can it be the card when my onboard sound did the same thing?

Are your drivers up to date? What kind of speakers do you have and how old are they?

my drivers are almost brand new, this has been going on forever, and its not my speakers, i had some speakers and i just got the creative 4.1, creative needs to fix this or BI needs to release something to fix this issue.

a workaround is to toggle viewmode once or twice (like from 3rd person to 1st and back) after starting the car engine. This will normalize the sound and stop the crackling. Atleast it does for me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Airwolf @ June 18 2002,03:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">creative needs to fix this or BI needs to release something to fix this issue.<span id='postcolor'>

This is not BIS' problem. Did you search The FAQ for "crackling"? See what applies to your hardware.

Disable your sound card's hardware acceleration and EAX support. Read your sound card's documentation for instruction how to go about doing this : my sound card has no documentation, i dont know how to disable the EAX support, disabling the hardware acceleration in the multimedia properties does not help.

Check for a newer version of your sound card's drivers. :

just got them, no help.

Consider replacing your sound card with one from another (reliable) manufacturer.

I always thought creative was the best? Would buying something like the audigy fix the problem?

I upgraded from a SB Live to a SB Audigy 3 days ago.

The sound-quality is alot better with the Audigy.

But I dont' use Win2k/XP so I would'nt know if it works any better in OFP concerning the crackling-issues. Sorry.

All I know is that it uses a completely different driver-set.

Had alot of stability-issues at first as I did'nt uninstall the old drivers before plugging in the new card.

The problem has been reported with Sound Blaster Live, Audigy, and some other brands. But the ones from Creative have it alot more.

Happens with my sants cruz also. It's real bad with the latest 4162 drivers. I went back to 4140's and it's not as bad.

Since all cards are having this problem wouldn't it be safe to say it's a DX issue?

everything i have tried doesnt help, is there a really good sound card i could get? iv been thinking of upgrading to the audigy platinum.

I never had this problem until I installed a new Graphics Card (GEforce 2 MX) at first I thought it might be bus noise but no it wasn't and rightfully said creative don't care. It doesn't seem to be with all the sounds just a few... odd. Nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. A solution to this problem does seem to be evading everyone I have Wins XP Pro and it is the on board AC97 Avance sound that is causing this. However when I was running my old ATi Rage Graphics Card I didn't have this problem.

Another thing according to OFP I have EAX disabled and I turned off my hardware settings this seemed to do nothing. Mine seems related to the fact I installed a new Graphics card. Question does BIS plan to do anything about this problem or is OFP distin to make like the 1980's.