Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

Arma 3 and Windows 8

Since Arma is one of the few things that have a huge influence on the choices I make on / with my PC, I would like to know if Windows 8 will be "supported" by Arma 3. Or should I stick with good ol' Windows 7 for some more time?

This subject might be a bit early at this moment but nevertheless it would be good to know what BI has to say about it. Is the team already working and having experiences with the preview versions of the OS (together with Arma 3) or are they waiting for the full Windows 8 release before they even look at it?

In the Arma 2 and Windows 8-topic people reported some issues but I'm not sure it it is related to Windows 8 at all or just to the fact that atm the OS still is in beta status ("Consumer Preview")...

Edited by Undeceived

From what I have heard, anything that can run on Windows 7 will also run on Windows 8. Arma 3 should be no different, but don't take my word for it.

The question you should ask yourself is why would you need Windows 8 at all?

Because we all want Metro... derp

Good question :j:

From what I have heard, anything that can run on Windows 7 will also run on Windows 8. Arma 3 should be no different, but don't take my word for it.

Yeah, it's just the question, because Arma 2 has troubles on the OS. But it's the question if these are OS-beta related or not.

Because we all want Metro... derp

I would say that this is something everyone can decide for him / herself, so it's not a kind of discussion point here, IMO. :) If I or whoever wants to buy and use it - what now? :D The original question of the thread still remains.

This is probably more about the drivers for W8 than the game itself. Saying everything from W7 will work in W8 is kinda like saying everything from Vista would work in W7. It's all built upon eachother, but there are always glitches to be expected.

Windows 8 is not really made for gaming PC's, and I cant really see the point in installing it on one :p But if you insist I would recommend dualboot with W7 just in case/for gaming.

Windows 8 is not really made for gaming PC's, and I cant really see the point in installing it on one :p But if you insist I would recommend dualboot with W7 just in case/for gaming.

Yeah, they said the same about Windows 7 when Windows XP still was state-of-the-art. At least I didn't read anything that would confirm this theory for Windows 8 (that it isn't made for gaming PCs). And also my rig is not exclusively a gaming PC (unfortunately...) - everything else runs on it too. Even though, as I wrote, Arma has a big influence on it.

Anyway I hope that the game runs smooth on the OS.

Edited by Undeceived

The whole idea behind Windows 8 is to compete with Apple and Google on markets for portable devices like touchpads and the upcoming "new" laptops with touchscreens. Microsoft has been saying this since start, and that it is not intendend to replace the still young Windows 7 on regular desktop computers. Sorry I dont have any english links on this right now, but their list of changes/improvements kind of speaks for itself with the new interface, ARM-support, more app-based, etc :p

Oh well, my original fuzzy point was, driver-support on a system that few people play games on will probably not have high priority on game-fixes. So if there are any problems with ArmA3 or any other game, it might take a while to get fixed by whoever is responsible for it, whether it's on BIS, MS, AMD, Nvidia, Intel, or whatever.

But it seems you have some other strong reasons to prefer W8 anyway, so I'm not arguing about it. Just throwing it out there as something to keep in mind :D Personally I let new OS's get patched up for about 6 months before considering the upgrade, just to save me some headache.