Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

Basic training

What is basic training like for the army, navy, marines, and the one I am most interested in the Untied States Air Force??

They have articles on "surviving boot camp" for the US military branches on about.com.  I just don't feel like browsing through their pop-up filled infastructure, though I remember reading  their article on surviving the Marines boot camp.

Discovery channel also has a 3-part series on that, I think it's called "Making Marines".  It kind of documents a progress of a few kids making it through the boot camp.  I watched it once.  I just wish they focused on documenting the guys' training as they have on the girls'.  Damn military propaganda buying themselves out once again.

Reconsider though. I think their minimum term to sign up is 4 years or so (not sure about this 100%). Unless you're an officer in the Air Force (which requires 4-year degree in associated college + 4 years at the air force academy) the only thing you can hope is spending about 4 years of your life fixing airplanes, driving fuel trucks, etc. etc. No real education you can use afterwards.

seriously now. move when ordered, don't question orders. don't complain about orders. don't complain about punishments. don't make yourself obvious to the drills. Do well in PT and other proficiency tests and you will do just great. Also, develop a sort of "stoneface". Most of all, enojoy yourself smile.gif

When I was in the U.S. Navy (a long time ago) boot camp was nine weeks. Don't know what it is now.

But to answer your question, boot camp is all about changing you from a civilian to a military team player. It (trys) to teach you about paying attention to detail, to work as a team and to think "military". It may apear that your basic identity is being erased, and you're being turned into a clone. And to a certain extent that's true. But it's what you need to survive.

Peace time or war time it doesn't matter. Military service has risks. And believe me...military life gets way better after boot camp.

From what I've been told by my Father, Stepfather, Mother (Lt. Col USAF, Lt. Col ARMY, Lt. Col USAF) they break you down, then build you how they want you to fit in military life. Breaking you down is the hard stuff. Yeeling, PT, etc. But from then on its great and soon you're appart of one of the greatest club on earth.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hurry up and wait<span id='postcolor'>

This is the absoultely best characterisation of the military I have heard so far!

Other then that, it very much depends on which branch of the military you are in. The unit that I served with, kustjägarna (costal rangers), was a voulentary unit. So the purpouse of the basic training was very much to weed out "unfitting" persons, hence we had to endure much shit. If you join some softer unit, basic training is basically nothing. It is designed so a person with normal physique and limited intelligence can pass it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 12 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hence we had to endure much shit.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL..yes, you have to endure a lot of shits. expecially in those suits... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you join some softer unit, basic training is basically nothing. It is designed so a person with normal physique and limited intelligence can pass it.<span id='postcolor'>

damn..that means i don't have intelligence to pass... sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ June 12 2002,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 12 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hence we had to endure much shit.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL..yes, you have to endure a lot of shits. expecially in those suits... tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hmpf

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you join some softer unit, basic training is basically nothing. It is designed so a person with normal physique and limited intelligence can pass it.<span id='postcolor'>

damn..that means i don't have intelligence to pass... sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hire a monkey biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PitViper Posted on June 11 2002,23:36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hurry up and wait. pushups <span id='postcolor'>

I'm not even in the regular forces and I get a lot of that

Basic training in the british army (parachute regiment) is split up into phases as wel as getting "beasted" all day and night

Phases 1

This is a 14-week course. The Paras have their own training company with a separate  syllabus, enhanced to meet specific needs, mainly aiding the development of physical fitness, and fieldcraft skills.

The course comprises the following elements of basic training: Basic fieldcraft, Basic fitness, Drill, discipline and turnout, Military knowledge, Basic weapon handling and marksmanship training.

Phases 2

This is a 14-week course run at the Infantry Training Centre (Catterick). It is known as 'special to arm training', the 'arm' being the infantry. The training is only carried out by Parachute Regiment staff which is unique in comparison with the rest of the infantry. The aim of the CIC (PARA) training is to build upon the basic military skills which the trainees have learnt during the Common Military Syllabus (Recruits) at the Army Training Regiment (Lichfield). Consequently the training concentrates on field-craft (low level tactics) exercises, weapons training, military knowledge, and fitness and its function is to polish off skills which will result in the production of trained Paratroopers.  

P company (Pre Parachute Selection)

The course lasts one week and consists of eight events:

The Steeplechase

A 1.7 mile course with 25 obstacles to be completed in under 19 minutes.  This is an individual event that requires good cardio-vascular fitness.

The Trainasium

Ariel confidence course

The Log Race

A team race of 8 men per team carrying a log around a 1.8 mile course.

Stretcher Race

Team event of 16 men carrying a stretcher over a 5 mile course

Milling

A one minute bout of sparring

10 Mile March

Carrying 35lbs bergen and individual weapon.  To be completed in 1 hour and 50 minutes.

20 Mile Endurance March

Carrying 35lbs bergen and individual weapon.  To be completed in 5 hours.

If you pass P company(many don`t) then off to Brize Norton for Parachute training.

learn all aspects of military parachuting. They conduct 8 jumps in all, progressing from a Skyvan jump, to 7 from a C-130 Hercules aircraft.  The jumps graduate from those without equipment, to a night jump carrying equipment. On completion of the ‘jumps’ course the soldiers earn their ‘wings’

Then off to your battalion 1,2,or 3 Para. oh you also get a extra Å2-3 a week for para pay

i went through basic training about 10 years ago and although i was absolutely petrified when arriving, it was absolutely fantastic and i think was better than actually being in the army itself just being a recruit

Hilandors tips of survivng basic training

1 Listen and listen good, they dont like telling u nothing twice

2 Dont take personal offence at the shouting and beasting they do, its not personally meant for u and is done for a reason so that u react immedietly, have a laugh about it with your new squaddies, the recruiting staff like when u all get on because u have all got a common foe i.e the recruiting staff and therefore ur starting to work as a team

3 Dont start ur training and immedietly do ur best, because they will look for more and more and more therefore if u do what is just asked (this is mainly for physical training)and build up, they see an improvment in you and therefore there happy

4 Get on with your squaddies, everyone is in same shit as you

5 Switch on and learn, there really not happy when u pick nothing up they teach u

6 If in a billet with a small section, discuss who is good at what and all tasks can be shared out to those good at such ( first thing me and 4 friends who started basic training together did when we arrived at the sleeping quarters or billets rather was to find out who was good at ironing bulling boots, polishing buckles etc, i liked bulling boots so i would do most of the recruits boots whilst i hated ironing so i would have someone else doiing that for me

7 Fitness will come to you very quickly so dont panic that ur not that good as long as they see an improvement and 110% effort they wiill be happy

8 Enjoy the experience after its over you will look back on it and laugh (might take a while tho)

9 Drill is a nightmare or i found it a nightmare practise away from the parade ground we practised in billet at night whilst somoene marked us off etc

10 Tidyness is most important for inspections etc, in army in uk we have beds made perfect, cutlery sparkling soap on show clean but used, shaving foam with no foam on nozzle or u were busy for the best part of the day cleaning toilets. What i did and most others or rather learned was to have two of everything i had a shaving foam and razor on show on my bed for inspection that wasnt used that way it wasnt dirty and they couldnt pick up up for nothing, also in the days when bed blocks were made we sometimes made beds up night before and slept on floor under them so they didnt get messed that way we saved time in morning and were ready no probs for inspection

these things i found helped me a lot with basic training and even now i look back and thing it was amazing and i learned a lot of stuff rapid style

jeez am knackered now biggrin.gif

Considering I just asked a friend visiting as of late the same question since he is off to his first duty station as an airman apprentience for the US Navy.

I was a bit surprised by his answer. He did a joint Boot Camp with Marines, Navy, and Airforce recruits. Guess the military is trying to save money. But anyway, his responce to the question is that Boot camp was basically a joke. And this is from a guy that avoided all physical labor in his life. He said the only people that had it semi rough where the Marines and the Airforce recruits going for flight status.

Other than that he said it was just a lot of yes and no sirs. Running and workouts that where hard sometimes but nothing that would kill you. And to top it off the Airforce basic is only 3 weeks long. I think he said the Navy and Marines where there for 60 days.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was a bit surprised by his answer. He did a joint Boot Camp with Marines, Navy, and Airforce recruits. Guess the military is trying to save money. But anyway, his responce to the question is that Boot camp was basically a joke.<span id='postcolor'>

Your friend is describing an MOS (military occupational specialty) school, not boot camp. Servicemen attend an MOS school after basic and before their first duty station.

Semper Fi

Thats what I thought too so I asked him again specifically about boot camp and he said to him it was a joke, no biggie at all. And thats what all the guys at the MOS as you describe it related to him.Hell he is still overweight and lazy as hell most of the time.

But maybe Boot Camp for support personell is alot easier than the mainline. I would actually lean on that heavily as he recieved 0 combat or defense training, because he is just suppose to be a tech.

Although I did get a kick out of one thing he told me. The base he recieved his specialty training at was an Airforce base with combined Marine/Navy/Airforce school. Its in Mississippi, but I can't remember the city.

The things I got the greatest kick out of was

1. The Marine/Navy barracks where literally condemed with the surrounding abandoned barracks being torn down.

2. The Navy/Marine barracks where right next to the flight line. So they got to enjoy the 20minute C-130, Learjet, and trainer jet preflight engine checks nicely.

3. The signs you see on the beaches telling you what you can and cannot do have stated at the bottom. "Sexually abusing the wildlife is strictly forbidden"... still get a kick out of that.

Trust me.  It was an MOS school (probably at Keesler AFB in Biloxi).  Marines go to either Parris Island, S.C. or San Diego, CA for recruit training.  The only personnel from any other services at these Recruit Depots are Navy medical and religious support.

A former girlfriend of mine went to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA, another school shared by all the services.  According to her, part of the "Welcome aboard" brief to the new soldiers, sailors, and airmen was a general warning to stay away from the Marine barracks.  Heh.

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ June 13 2002,02:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to her, part of the "Welcome aboard" brief to the new soldiers, sailors, and airmen was a general warning to stay away from the Marine barracks.  Heh.

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

why? cuz marines beat the lights out of them? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">why? cuz marines beat the lights out of them?<span id='postcolor'>

And zen ve take ze vimmen!

Semper Fi