Sign in to follow this  
Maio

The AK-12

I know that the longest line of sight is the better, I just thought that there's more to it - on many forums this change is said to be the most important and revolutionary, because original sights were "tragic" for reason unknown to me ;)

I'm very interested in the look of the left side of the receiver with that "ambidextrous charging handle". But apart from that it's still AK-74 with few new accessories - railed hinged cover (think Beryl), rails all over the gun I could even say :), new shape of safe switch/fire mode selector (but internally is said to be more-less the same), new three-round burst mode (again think Beryl, have they developed their own mechanism, or went our Polish way - copied western one?), barrel with standard NATO threading for muzzle brakes.

Shame that they haven't used BARS system form Alexandrov-Kalashnikov AK-107. Maybe it'll show up on next prototypes? Because this one is really disappointing - tacticool AK that you can build from parts available on US civ market...

tacticool AK that you can build from parts available on US civ market...

I think that's exactly the point. 5.56mm variant, 7.62x51 instead of Russian 7.62x54, lots of rails for cool, western threading for muzzle brakes. All of these to make rifle atractive for foreign customers rather than Russian Army. Also note Russian Army isn't exactly swimming in money to replace perfectly working AK-74/AK-74M with their tacticool variant. Even US didn't replace majority of M4s with M4A1, mostly issuing only RIS adding modkits.

Also, while glorified AK-107 was significant engineering improvement it was commercial disaster for Izhmash. Lots of money put into design, even more into advertising and no significant buyer.

If you consider how big is market for tacticool AK accessories this seem like great idea to take big part of this cake to Izhmash.

I think that's exactly the point. 5.56mm variant, 7.62x51 instead of Russian 7.62x54, lots of rails for cool, western threading for muzzle brakes. All of these to make rifle atractive for foreign customers rather than Russian Army. Also note Russian Army isn't exactly swimming in money to replace perfectly working AK-74/AK-74M with their tacticool variant.

Well, 7.62x51 is getting more and more widespread in RF Armed Forces (at least in special units), but generally you may be right! I've read somewhere that Izhmash already mentioned that civilian, semi-auto only variant will be produced. That's exactly opposite to the FB Radom policy - they're always saying that "we're searching for distributor/we'd like to sell this product on US market" but in the end "we're short on money, so we'll have to wait for next big government contract" :(

Izhmash has it's Legion distributor in US so they can capitalize on this market easily. So they came up with commercial AK variant to collect money for R&D of next-gen rifle for Russian Army, which was announced in July. That makes sense.

Still, BARS system would be nice - waiting for next prototypes.

One of the things that bugs me about the design is the lower receiver.

Finally someone found lower receiver on AK! :D

I know that the longest line of sight is the better, I just thought that there's more to it - on many forums this change is said to be the most important and revolutionary, because original sights were "tragic" for reason unknown to me ;)

Having an AK 105 (a 4.5mm airgun version made by izmash) the problem with the sights imo is that they are too low, I have to lay my head down to see trough them loosing much vision and it's not that comfy.

A solution would be making the iron sights MP44-like, they line up perfectly with your eyes.

mp44.jpg

Edited by Dekster

Stamped/pressed metal parts so manufacture does not require complex tooling? Does this mean they are looking for certain nations to make their own under license (NK ;))? It's the stock and the magazine that contribute most to the ugliness, the rest of it looks fine.

Edited by PELHAM

Stamped/pressed metal parts so manufacture does not require complex tooling? Does this mean they are looking for certain nations to make their own under licence (NK ;))?

I don't think so - Izhmash is very keen on banning any other AK copies/variants. In 2009 they even tried to block some trade fair (SHOT Show?) because of Eastern European producers of "unlicensed"* Kalashnikovs.

One thing that caught my attention - stock is folded to the right. Why? It had sense with old one rail mount, but know, with new rail, it'll block fire mode selector. So it looks like it still have old style mount.

*Problem is that during 50's and 60's USSR gave license for AK to PL, GDR, HU, BUL and Romania. But it was Warsaw Pact standard requirement, rather then business deal.

@Dekster

Looks like the height is still the same. BTW: is your Yunker airgun model 4 or 5 (with integrated CO2 bottle mount)?

@Dekster

Looks like the height is still the same. BTW: is your Yunker airgun model 4 or 5 (with integrated CO2 bottle mount)?

Nope, it's a yunker 2.(ak 105 with a metal butstock) I don't know much about these guns, except they're the best toy ever for a kid.

One thing that caught my attention - stock is folded to the right. Why? It had sense with old one rail mount, but know, with new rail, it'll block fire mode selector.

Safety/fire selector is mirrored on left side as well, so it's not a problem.

Didn't you think it's weird to place it just above thumb on RIGHT side of rifle instead LEFT side:p?

I don't think so - Izhmash is very keen on banning any other AK copies/variants. In 2009 they even tried to block some trade fair (SHOT Show?) because of Eastern European producers of "unlicensed"* Kalashnikovs.

You sure about that? North Korea has one of the largest arms export industries in the world and most of it is licensed Russian equipment including most versions of the AK. I'm not sure how relations are these days but they could end up making and exporting this as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_industry_of_North_Korea

http://www.undispatch.com/north-korean-defectors-describes-arms-export

You sure about that? North Korea has one of the largest arms export industries in the world and most of it is licensed Russian equipment including most versions of the AK. I'm not sure how relations are these days but they could end up making and exporting this as well.

I'm sure about FB Radom and Arsenal - Izhmash wanted their booths to be closed because of "copyright infringement". Which is funny because Radom now produces only Polish developed 5,56 Beryls - developed from Soviet licensed AKM in 60's, while Arsenal have licenses (acquired during Cold War era) for every AK variant - AKs, AKMs, AK-74s and so on...

I have no idea how it is with NK maker, but TBH I never saw any outside of this country. So only thing that I'm afraid of their military and industry are those shiny new Mercedes G-Wagons that were seen on Kim's funeral :D

There is also difference between official export (case of FB and Arsenal conflict with Izhevsk), and unofficial one - remember when during Georgia war Russians found tonnes of Polish and Ukrainian AA rockets? It caused many problems between these two countries and Russia, but later it was found out that these weapons were supplied to Georgia by Israel (who acquired them from various sources).