Sign in to follow this  
MJR. Gastovski

Hand grenades

When playing OFP you have Hand Grenades at your diposal (of course!wink.gif but when you usually throw them they always explode on impact be it Water grass concrete etc. Were they actually designed to do that in real life or is this sum kind of glitch?

I think there are two types of nades; time-delay nades, and nades that explode on impact.. but not sure though.

I think they are designed in the game to explode on impact. But I think missiles in the game explode after a while if they're fired into the air and don't hit anything. I swear I saw some mid air explositions when I was messing about on the desert Island.

yes missiles/rockets/AT explode after awile, and there are 2 types of grenades, the delay and the impact.

Its interesting to see what people do with grenades in games. Iv always found the impact detonation to be useful in ofp. But in the original medal of honor, they were time delay and if you threw one at a nazis feet, he might throw it back. That was always a funny sight........until i died from it.

Most grenades used by NATO military forces are timed, standard is 7 secs I think. However flashpoint nades are impact which works quite well other than that if someone lobs one u cannt move in time to get out way

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ June 09 2002,16:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in ofp, it's impact. many ppl alrady have complained about it....<span id='postcolor'>

Yep. In fact, a Buddhist monk burnt himself to death in protest in front of the Codemasters building in protest! Eghads! wow.gif

What Flashpoint uses is the M67 impact-fragmentation grenade.

I don't see how useful a timed grenade would be though givin the situations you would encounter. Timed grenades are for building and close quarters battle. Impact is good for OFP cause ur always out in the open and with 7 seconds the AI can run away from the blast radius fairly quickly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Grey Fox @ June 09 2002,22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What Flashpoint uses is the M67 impact-fragmentation grenade.

I don't see how useful a timed grenade would be though givin the situations you would encounter. Timed grenades are for building and close quarters battle. Impact is good for OFP cause ur always out in the open and with 7 seconds the AI can run away from the blast radius fairly quickly.<span id='postcolor'>

omg pwned

Wonder if an enterprising modder could release a grenade pack: delayed frag grenades, concussion grenades, white phosphorous, thermite...

I also wonder if there would be a way to simulate a flashbang grenade in OFP...hmmm...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ June 09 2002,21:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also wonder if there would be a way to simulate a flashbang grenade in OFP...hmmm...<span id='postcolor'>

Select This/Ebud have working on that with their Delta Force series addons. Basically they made a script where a Delta would throw a addon Flashbang and anyone within a certain radius of the Flashbang would be set to hold fire. So it only works on the AI and it causes no damage whatsoever.

I guess the only reason why BIS put in impact fuse handgrenades is that they are easier to model; no complex calculations or timer for bouncing or rolling grenades needed.

If a 3-5 sec. fuze fragmentation handgrenade is thrown correctly, the impact-detonation delay is to be neglected, thinking about hurling back a properly thrown handgrenade?- unlikely you will make it, because of a) fuse timing variations, b) you wouldn´t have a guess for how long the grenade already travelled, and if it has been thrown directly or shortly after the primer already ignited. If you are running away from it, you´re not only going to present a large surface for grenade fragments but also aimed rifle fire. The main purpose of handgrenades is to incapacitate OPFOR in cover and/or force them out so you can get a clear shot. In OFP handgrenades are a pain in the ass, i don´t know how often i killed myself with them while standing next to a tree or wall, trying to throw it without exposing too much, but they´re great for teamkilling, hehe.

Now we don´t use impact fuze handgrenades, but does the U.S. use them? As far as the Field manual goes the M67 has a standard 4-5 sec timed fuze, so does the M68 probably.

fig1-2.gif

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/3-23.30/ch1.htm

Do you guys remeber the German's grenades in WWII? Im talking about the ones with the sticks attached to them. Now that was a good idea, because with those you can throw them farther than a regular hand grenade.

Wouldnt you guys agree?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you guys remeber the German's grenades in WWII? <span id='postcolor'>

Potatomasher you mean? wink.gif

I read in some manual that you could take a corn stalk and wrap a grenade with it and tie string around it to get better distance  confused.gif if I can hunt down that book or a link ill post it.

Edit: not the stalk..... but the leaves that wrap around the ear of the corn... what is that called?

Corn ear leaves

...must keep straight face....

COLINMAN

Most games with grenades portray them as made out of rubber, or some similar material. Honestly, grenades don't bounce ten feet or more when they hit pavement, and they bounce even less on dirt. As a matter of fact, they don't bounce at all. At most, they kind of roll. Those things are pretty damn heavy.

I don't know about the US Army but my in the USMC I never threw a impact fused granade. I threw a few 3 second timed and a lot of 5 second timed fuzed granades.

And to clear things up some. The idea of picking up a granade and throwing it back is a hollywood idea. No one in RL would ever try it unless they didn't cherrish there hands/arms/face/well you get the drift. Even in open field you try to throw the granade as far as possible, which usually gives it 3 or 4 seconds air time. I found the 3 second fuze great since it would explode about 3 to 5 feet above the ground which increased its blast radious some. If you for some reason had to throw it closer then you let clip fly and throw instead of throwing it with clip still in. This guarantees that even with a 7 second fuze the only way it is going to come back at you is if the enemy is sitting there with a baseball glove and catches it in mid air. Granades are not light, and therefor tend to roll a bit which takes time also.

Well I think you get my point. In RL the chances of a granade comming back at ya is like winning the lottery.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kermit @ June 12 2002,07:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> As a matter of fact, they don't bounce at all.  At most, they kind of roll.  Those things are pretty damn heavy.<span id='postcolor'>

Ever thrown a handgrenade?biggrin.gif

You can throw a handgrenade against the ceiling when throwing it through a window that is located a few metres above your head, so it bounces off to prevent the grenade landing to far in the room or rolling even out of it.

About a grenades weight, ours weight about 435gr, a good thrower gets more than 40m with it, you can probably imagine what force is behind it.

Ours is additionally mantled with plastic in case you are wondering. The training handgrenades we practise with bounce all over the place just as you described if the handgrenade is thrown farther than the limits of our grenade exercise place, where it will land on asphalt. It´s always a hard time searching for grenades that had been thrown this far and bounced of the street into some bushes on the side. wow.gif

Satchel, while I've never thrown a live one, I've have one of those duds. They just don't bounce, at least not the one I have.

A good advice is to attach a piece of string to your grenade before throwing. Should you overthrow your target, you can simply pull the string to make it roll into the trench or pull it back to yourself for another try (warning: you should keep track of time in this case, as grenades can be dangerous when they explode close to you).