Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Commander

For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?

• Only one
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four of them
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • All eight!

Hi,

I was wondering how well Hetman works with Planned Assult?

And if anyone could share some mission examples...

As far, as I know, PA is going own way, has pre-planned waypoints, movements etc. and does it very well&smart, while HAC is issuing waypoint orders on-the-fly, basing on current situation, so, if I'm right about PA (ask _William), both shouldn't be combined, if it is possible at all. Perhaps just choose, what better fits your current need. I mean, if both does very similar thing - conducting the battle, each on own way, what exactly would you expect as result of such hipotetical combination?

Edited by Rydygier

I have a mission including two helis (heli1, heli2) and i want to exclude them from HACs orders.

I tried the

1. RydHQ_Excluded = [ heli1 ]; //with heli1 groupped with heli2

2. RydHQ_Excluded = [ heli1, heli2 ];

I think the pdf says names without "

*using script version 1.1

Thanx,

Mike

Hi. Are you using so ancient version because you play A2 standalone, not CO? There was dozens of fixes and improvements after 1.1.

Yes, names without ", but for Excluded that must be names of team leaders (probably pilot or gunner, depends, eg. RydHQ_Excluded = [(driver heli1),(driver heli2)]), not vehicles. Or use RydHQ_ExcludedG (should be introduced in 1.1, I hope) and place there same way names of groups. So eg. in heli1 init field put G1 = group this; then in the init: RydHQ_ExcludedG = [G1]; etc.

Hi. Are you using so ancient version because you play A2 standalone, not CO? There was dozens of fixes and improvements after 1.1.

Yes, names without ", but for Excluded that must be names of team leaders (probably pilot or gunner, depends, eg. RydHQ_Excluded = [(driver heli1),(driver heli2)]), not vehicles. Or use RydHQ_ExcludedG (should be introduced in 1.1, I hope) and place there same way names of groups. So eg. in heli1 init field put G1 = group this; then in the init: RydHQ_ExcludedG = [G1]; etc.

First of all i forgot to mention (and wrongly post here...) that i use Arma 3!!

I finally created units (alone, not grouped with others) as team leaders and managed to exclude them!! :)

I also move the main objective trigger to another area (mission purposes) and change the mode to "defend", all this with a trigger and works great!! You can see the units suddenly change tactic and go back to defend the base!

Another good thing is that i "enable" then HETMAN script with another trigger that is been fired not from the beginning of the mission. So i have the ability to "drive" the ai units to do specific thing at the begging and the hetman takes control!

Everything looks working great!

** i use this version --> http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23293

is this the correct one??

Thank you again for the quick respond,

Mike

Ah, yes, version is correct in such case. I'm glad, all is working so well for you. :)

Edited by Rydygier

By any chance, is it possible to have this running with Ambient Combat Module? I've added both but it seems that the AI commander isn't getting any control over the combat module ai spawning..

Ideas?

HAC does nothing with spawning itself. HAC controls, what he find on map, he does not care, how group appeared. If is in default, unlimited, control mode, should take control over any group of controlled side spawned in any way. But, I think, ACM also controls spawned units. Conflicts here seems unavoidable. You can try EBSS.

This sounds like a great mod. Does it work with ARMA 2+OA+BAF+PMC ver. 1.59? The LOD issues with 1.60 and above kill the game for me. The only HETMAN downloads I can find are for 1.47 and it states a requirement of 1.62 and above. Any links to earlier versions or advice on 1.59?

Cheers.

If you want rather to lose all fixes and changes between 1.33 and 1.47 (list on Armaholic) than switch to newest A2 version, then here you are, the last version not requiring 1.62:

HAC 1.33 (this link should stay alive as long I keep the file on my dropbox)

It works with OA (CO) and requires it. As for the rest of DLCs - no problem, just have to add manually RHQ configs for units from these expansions if HAC should control them properly. This was simplified in 1.4, but... Refer to manual to learn, how to do this. Here is a thread with exemplary RHQ configs.

Note however, so even 1.47 is obsolete - Hetman is under further delopment for Arma 3 exclusively as HAL.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm new to this game and haven't installed any mods before so it'll maybe take me a few hours to get this up and running.

I don't actually use any of the BAF or PMC content, they just happened to be on the disc I bought, so it won't matter if they're not supported.

I've been messing around building small missions, usually Delta Force attacking an airfield or something like that, so i was very interested when I read the description of the Garrison Option.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Great. In the package you may find HAC_SimpleDemo.utes. It is a mission open-able in editor for preview, just launch the game with CBA (required for addon version) and HAC, put the folder, where all editor mission folders are and open it in editor. Probably best point to start familiarizing with Hetman. Another is the manual pdf. It is big, but for the start is enough to read first three chapters. Trying to swollow all at once not recommended. Basics are relatively simple, but behind them there are too many optional advanced goodies. :)

Here is the link with FAQ about installing the mods.

As for garrisoning, it was improved lately, but, sadly, only for the Arma 3 version of Hetman.

Enjoy. :)

This mod looks great! I couldn't get the Addon version to work because i can't find a version of CBA that goes with patch 1.59, so I tried the scripted complex demo in Chernarus. It's very complex, isn't it? ;) So Idecided to put the scripted version folder into the Utes demo, added an init.sqf with the nul [] script and away it went!

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Great work, Rydygier.

This is great, Rydygier, really great! My first little test missions have gone really well. The enemy is now acting as a cohesive force, rather than as isolated little patrols with no radio communication.

Going to start messing with the config settings now: Objective Radius; getting rid of the Idle and Rest Missions.

Thanks a lot, it's really made the game come alive.

The pdf's Rest Mission description says there is an option, inactive by default, that allows pairs of combat ineffictive groups, under certain circumstances, to combine into one group. I can't find the config for that option. Anyone know what it is?

Apparently accidentally ommited in manual.

RydHQ_Combining = true;

This will not happen often though - not often conditions are met.

@ Rydygier

Under what conditions will opfor RydHQ Excluded units send info to LeaderHQ?

1) Do they need to come under fire?

2) Do they need to return fire?

3) Do they simply need to see bluefor?

If I kill them all too quickly will that prevent them from sending info?

If they send info but their position is not near one of leaderHQ's objectives will he send troops to assist, or will he ignore?

I'm trying to set up a mission where there are excluded opfor groups patrolling given waypoints inside an airfield. I have HAC contolled groups patrolling a wider area outwith the airfield. When i attack the groups within the airfield I want the HAC groups to come to their aid. Any config tips? BTW, I'm now using HAC ver1.47 and the 1.63 Beta if that makes any difference.

Assuming, you have set up init variable, so excluded groups will send info to the Leader (RydHQ_ExInfo = true; )... It is based on plain Arma's vanilla knowledge factor. Any unit known to them will be known to the Leader at closest cycle. If you shoot at them or at least show off on sight - they'll spot you pretty fast. How fast Leader will be informed - depends, how much time to his next cycle. This may be matter of seconds or minutes. If you manage before next cycle to kill every unit of Leader's side, that knew about you, Leader will be not informed.

Leader will try to engage with proper force any known enemy, regardless distance from the objectives, of course, if he has not busy proper force at the moment.

If you do not do this already, I suggest to test your HAC scenarios in debug mode. Then, by map markers, you'll be informed what orders Leader's forces have.

Ahh, it's the cycle time. I've been wiping out the excluded units before the start of the next cycle.

Looking at the desriptions of RydHQ_Fast and RydHQ_CommDelay it seems unwise to change their default settings. What about RydHQ_ResetTime? Is that a safe way to reduce cycle time or is it likely to encounter the same sort of problems as making RydHQ_CommDelay<1?

I haven't been using debug but I noticed you drew attention to it in the Utes demo. I just didn't understand what it was telling me :D I'll look into it.

Thanks again for the help.

Well, IMO, if there is only one Leader and not huge amount of units on the map (eg > 300), then you can reduce commDelay safely. Anyway, you may try and return to default value if any problems will occur. Try eg.

RydHQ_CommDelay = 0.1;

Delay time per each cycle has two componenets: one due to code calculations time, dependent on amount of groups under control and units on map. Should be few seconds at most, for smaller scenarios - well below a second. This component may be reduced only by reducing CPU load or reducing amount of controlleg groups. In usual situations you shouldn't be forced to try to reduce it.

Second component is that artificial delay added to emulate communication delays. This one you are altering by changing comm delay variable. It is calculated such way:

_delay = (((22.5 + (count RydHQ_Friends))/(0.5 + RydHQ_Reflex)) * RydHQ_CommDelay);

As you can see, base value is 22.5 second. To this value is added amount of controlled groups (1 additional second per group).

This sum is divided/multiplied by two more factors. One is Leader's Reflex attribute, dependent on personality of the Leader, but if you set this variable with own value, it will be not overwritten and stay valid. Rule is - this should be a number between 0 and 1.

So if you set RydHQ_Reflex = 1; in the init config, then you'll be sure, so personality of the Leader will not increase comm delay. Last multiplier is mentioned RydHQ_CommDelay.

For example, if you set:

RydHQ_Reflex = 1;

RydHQ_CommDelay = 0.1;

And you have 12 groups under Leader's command, then "comm delay" component of total cycle delay will be: (22.5 + 12)/15 = 2.3 s. This is small value, yet in normal circumstancies should be safe and do not cause code issues or overload.

In the summary total delay should be reduce-able to values < 10 or even 5 seconds. If you manage to kill everyone in such short time, then realistically they anyway would have no chance to inform anybody.

If debug is on, every new cycle sidechat message will be generated. Debug mode(s) description you may find in chapter 5.12 of manual.

Reset time may be reduced safely, but it has no meaning for comm delay. It is independent thing serving other purposes.

Edited by Rydygier

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I have RydHQ_MAtt = true and his peronality set to eager. I played the mission as the opfor HAC with the bluefor units playable. When I use the bluefor units to attack the HAC excluded units the HAC's losses increase and the bluefor infantry icon appears on the map. So the HAC is aware of the bluefor presence. He just seems reluctant to send anyone near the area to investigate. Is there a minimum number of units the HAC likes to have available before he feels bold enough to issue attack orders? He currently has about 80 units under him.

I'm also having difficulty with the garrison mission. I have RydHQ_Garrison = [LeaderG]. I have a group leader named LeaderG. I've placed the group right outside an airfield control tower, but when HAC starts up the group go off on a recon mission. Any advice?

Sorry for asking all these dumb questions.

Is there a minimum number of units the HAC likes to have available before he feels bold enough to issue attack orders?

Important is number of groups, not units. And it depends, on personality, situation, kind of groups... Apart from engaging enemies Leader will use groups for recon and capturing missions. Recon missions may be disabled by setting RydHQ_NoRec with big number, eg 10000. Also you can "convince" the Leader, so all objectives are taken, then will not spend groups for that: RydHQ_NObj = 5;. Some groups may be kept as reserve. This may be disabled too.

Two things:

- watch debug markers, especially red dots, to determine how many groups are used for what.

- do not try to force Hetman to do something exactly and each time same way. Sometimes you may succeed, but it isn't its purpose. You can only manipulate with odds for some reaction, but all is randomized. Hetman is designed to be independent and unpredictable. Rather for leading and conducting the battle on own discretion, than doing exactly dictated things.

I have RydHQ_Garrison = [LeaderG]. I have a group leader named LeaderG.

This must be name of the group, not leader. RydHQ_Garrison = [(group LeaderG)]; should do the trick.

Ahh, [(group LeaderG)] solved it. It was great. They climbed into guard towers, went into barrack rooms. Wonderful :D

Thank you very much for bearing with my ignorance.

Having a great time with this mod. As you said, Rydygier, the best thing to do is let the HAC do its thing. I'm finding I gat the best gameplay, for my purposes, by leaving the config at default except for naming garrison groups and setting idle and rest decoy chances at 100. I'm now building missions with about 200 opfor, including armour, on the map. I'd never have done that using the editor alone. I couldn't be bothered setting all those waypoints :D