Sign in to follow this  
Wikzo

New to helicopter games - joystick?

Hi all,

I just discovered Take On Helicopters. Downloaded the demo through Steam and found it very interesting.

I have always enjoyed flying helicopters in the Battlefield games (especially BF2) and thought it could be fun to try something more challenging.

I am consindering buying TOH and maybe also some kind of joystick. I have never owned a computer joystick, though, so I know absolutely nothing about what to look for.

Could you please suggest me some good, not-too-expensive joysticks for a helicopter beginner?

Thanks in advance! :)

First say what does "not-too-expensive" mean for you. Thrustmaster t.16000m is good one. Price is something like ~40$ I think.

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick - a bit cheaper but also quite good, plus it has seperate throttle. If you want something more advanced... hmm Logitech Flight System G940 - full HOTAS with seperate double throttle and pedals. And it is force feedback joystick AFAIK. Also search the forum. There was similar topic as I remember corectly.

I personally use a PS2 controller with a USB adapter and it is really good when trying to fly on expert mode. You could also use a xbox controller for it as they have charging leads which are USB.

Hey Wikzo, could you give us a maximum on how much you would spend on a joystick, that way we can help you out :)

First say what does "not-too-expensive" mean for you. Thrustmaster t.16000m is good one. Price is something like ~40$ I think.

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick - a bit cheaper but also quite good, plus it has seperate throttle. If you want something more advanced... hmm Logitech Flight System G940 - full HOTAS with seperate double throttle and pedals. And it is force feedback joystick AFAIK. Also search the forum. There was similar topic as I remember corectly.

t16000m is good. so is logitech extreme. pedals are to be considered as well but can be expensive unless you are handy enough to build your own.

Thanks, everyone.

A maximum amount would be less than $100, I guess.

And one basic question: is it really worth playing the game with a joystick, or can it be just as fun with keyboard and mouse?

Thanks, everyone.

A maximum amount would be less than $100, I guess.

And one basic question: is it really worth playing the game with a joystick, or can it be just as fun with keyboard and mouse?

Ok. Where are you from Wikzo? That way we can recomend a store as well :)

Denmark ... so I think it's more plausible to use an online store.

Ok, if you want to go cheap you can get the Serioux Raider 4000.

If you feel like spending more you can go for the Saitek Aviator

The final choice in trems of brand and price is yours, but be sure to pick a model that has force feedback.

joystick over keyboard. I use Logitech extreme 3d pro, this has served me well for flight sim's

What do you guys think about flying with a gamepad (e.g. Xbox-Controller)?

Or asked otherwise: How many points would give for the playing experience / fun with these three control types -> Joystick, Gamepad, mouse & kb?

For example:

Joystick: 10

Gamepad: 7

Mouse & Keyboard: 4

Would this example be realistic?

Sim-Column-11-13-Screen-01-610x296.jpg

This. Mostly because for as much as I paid for it, I'd better use it for everything. And it's totally amazing.

Ok, thanks, but this doesn't help me very much with my questions. :D

Many people prefer to use the game controller. Personally I think it's more because it's what they grew up using to play video games so it's all they know. For some game engines like ArmA I really prefer keyboard and mouse. However Take On's flight model forced me into using the joystick instead. Since I grew up playing flight sims with joysticks, I'd rate your choices as:

Joystick: 9

Keyboard: 8

Controller: 3

I got my first modern gamepad a month ago and I find it's very good for Take On. And I've played flying games with a joystick since I was 5.

i must post something crap because i want to start a new post with a link in it. Sorry, but this is the way they want it.