Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 86978 (1.60 MP build)

This works well normally, but when I used the in-game mod system to select CWR2 and then restarted, I couldn't get CWR2 unselected unless I changed -beta=... to -mod=... and restarted. That reset the mod system. When CWR2 was running, the Expansion menu is all messed up graphically, and I couldn't disable CWR2 using it. So the mod system seems iffy to me, and something like Arma II Launcher is much simpler to use. However, that launcher doesn't handle betas well unlike some of the other 3rd-party launchers.

I thnk maybe it's time to bung some Euro's in a brown enevelope, send them to Sickboy and integrate SixUpdater as the official BI game launcher. I'm sure Sickboy would appreciate the Euro's and he can use the envelope to doodle on...

I thnk maybe it's time to bung some Euro's in a brown enevelope, send them to Sickboy and integrate SixUpdater as the official BI game launcher. I'm sure Sickboy would appreciate the Euro's and he can use the envelope to doodle on...

this is the 21 century... no brown paper bags... just paypal...:D

This is off-topic, but I've tried Six Updater twice, and it must be run as admin, and all my profiles are in my normal non-admin account, so I can't get SU to access my profiles and saved games! I guess I'm doing something wrong, but I think SU is a tad too complicated, and all I've used it for is to update ACE, after which I remove it. But generally I stay away from mods, except for CWR2. Perhaps it's time to apply myself to learning the ins and outs of SU, wading through all the help videos and documentation, but I'd rather be playing A2 instead.

Edited by OMAC

This is off-topic, but I've tried Six Updater twice, and it must be run as admin, and all my profiles are in my normal non-admin account, so I can't get SU to access my profiles and saved games!

Go to your profile folder, right-click on it, Properties -> Security, modify it and add or edit Administrators group for Full permissions.

Problem fixed.

I see, SU is somewhat incompatible with basic-user (non-admin) accounts at this time for write rights in Program Files for Arma Mods, Missions and plugins, or TS3 plugins, but this will be improved in the future.

You can let SU create a desktop shortcut, and you can use that instead to launch the game with your normal user account.

If you use profiles from My Documents\ARMA2 Other profiles, you can probably also set the -profiles startup option (Game Profile ribbonTab) and point it to that folder.

Full UI/Usability overhaul is planned for some time already, and rather close by now; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/versions/1025

As SU is developed solely by myself, I must prioritize, and for now features/functionality and bug fixes have gone before usability :)

Don't let the rough edges fool you; it's a very powerful and useful tool regardless ;) And actually not hard to use once you get it.

Most functionality is available in context menus, so right click some mods, servers, presets etc to find the functionality you are looking for. Also much is documented in tooltips, so hover over something to get more info about it, additional status details could also be available in the tooltips.

Also for clans/communities with servers, if the admin sets up a configuration file, users have little more to do than import the configuration (e.g by following a sixupdater:// url), and appropriate action (e.g Install/Update and Join server), and everything is done for him, incl (if admin configured it) joining the right TS server, in the right channel, and e.g perform all the actions required to get ACRE working.

Check out http://www.six-updater.net/p/about.html for info on what SU can do, and find Support; http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html in case of any issues or questions.

Edited by Sickboy

Thanks, guys, for the info. SU is a brilliant and well-documented piece of work, and its edges appear pretty smooth and slick to me. The only issues with it are the rather steep learning curve and daunting complexity. But with complexity comes power. I saw the shortcut functionality but didn't try it; that seems like the way to go for me.

For a simple tool without the awesome updating capability of SU, ArmA II Launcher is very well done:

http://arma2.paro-technology.com/

@OMAC, i use that launcher too, very well done. but it hasnt been updated in quite a long time and their server browser isnt really fully working anymore. but its still a solid launcher i use everyday.

The fact that the in game mod system makes you exit and restart the game means that it's more of an inconvenience for me instead of a tool. To change what I use with the commandline -mod I just edit a shortcut or use a launcher and start the game with what I want. To use the in game GUI I wait for the game to load, go into menus, uncheck or check things, exit the game, wait for it to start again.... too much trouble to deal with.

@OMAC, i use that launcher too, very well done. but it hasnt been updated in quite a long time and their server browser isnt really fully working anymore. but its still a solid launcher i use everyday.

Yes, you are right. I hadn't checked the date of the last update. :eek:

The server browser shows many servers, but I don't know if it works well or not - never tried it.

It is really a bare-bones launcher. I had used this one for a long time:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241

but I started having problems with it recently which are possibly related to the new in-game/profile mod system in OA, which is still not 100% functional even in RC2 (will be in full 1.60 I hear).

Edited by OMAC

i know this launcher discussion is getting off-topic.

server browser allows joining of server. showing players on server is broken, so is the icon for whether the server is password protected or not. otherwise everything is still ok.

i tried the spiritedmachine one but i didnt like the bloat.