Sign in to follow this  
darkxess

Does Pakistan really have what it takes to fight the US?

Well done, I should demand photos or it didn't happen but won't because I really should know better than to enter these discussions, But i hate it when people brush of innocent lives as collateral damage but cry like babies when it happens to their own... And that's exactly what happens.

Well done, I should demand photos or it didn't happen but won't because I really should know better than to enter these discussions, But i hate it when people brush of innocent lives as collateral damage but cry like babies when it happens to their own... And that's exactly what happens.
That's what happens to a nation that has no grandmas to tell the grandchildren how it was back then in 1943-45 to survive the bombardments of the big cities. Such nations citizens usually tend to believe war bears no consequences exept of financial kind.

Hi all

I have also been to Pakistan unlike PELHAM I did not go on an organised trek. I traveled on public transport and stopped in budget hotels or luxury hotels or as a guest in peoples houses. I spent time with teachers, smuglers, hotel owners, arms traders, Afghan and Iranian refugees, back in the early 90s. 2 months up in the tribal areas between the Iranian border and Quetta and some time down on the plains cities of Karachi and Labored. I would say my experience differed from PELHAM's.

The people varied though most were like anyone you meet anywhere else in the world. Even the young drug smugler bodguards who spent half a night trying to slit our bags open were nice once you got over their bravado, they ended up trying to teach my wife and I Farsi on a long train journey. The trains head smuggler was a very nice chap and like any manager in a family firm we did not speak much but he asked how we were, whether we liked his country and occasionaly pointed out sites and he gave up his seat for my wife.

The Afghan refugees were mostly sad and poor as church mice but were still welcoming considerate and generous to guests though some of their young lads were less so when I met them. The Iranian refugees I met were quite wealthy and like the Iranians I met in Iran, well educated and open minded.

Was Pakistan very poverty stricken, heck yeh. And the public shitters were like a scene out of hell, ameobic and bacillery dysentry, along with typhoid and colera turns any bog into a shit, mucus and blood spattered Jackson Polock, but in good hotels or peoples houses things were clean.

That said Pakistan is no longer as poverty stricken as when I visited back in the 90s. I suggest people use Google maps and street view to see for themselves.

Lots of guns, I even saw two Russian attack helicopters on sale near Quetta, but it was noticable that guns were usually pointed at the ground or in to the sky and that people put their thumb over the muzzle when moving it from one to the other.

Oh course this has nothing to do with political or military attitudes. I just wanted to point out that like anywhere most people are not monsters or anything to be afraid of.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Sounds like a wonderful holiday Walker :D

That's what happens to a nation that has no grandmas to tell the grandchildren how it was back then in 1943-45 to survive the bombardments of the big cities. Such nations citizens usually tend to believe war bears no consequences exept of financial kind.

I was born in a civil war that lasted 14 years. Our family photo album is full of missing friends and relatives, some lived but not in one piece. There were multiple bombings, mass murder and terrorist attacks in my home town. I travelled to school in an APC. Ever take a Sunday drive with your mommy and daddy and wonder why no one said a word? They were watching the sides of the road for mines and people waiting to rake the car with AK-47's. My mother had to carry a personal weapon in a holster to the supermarket to do the groceries.

You presume too much Beagle. I bet I know what AK's, RPD's, and RPG's sound like better than you. I know the realities first hand, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, particularly when dealing with a poisonous ideology that cannot be negotiated with.

One of my childhood memories:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2169&g2_serialNumber=2

This oil storage depot was not far from our house. Insurgents used RPG's to make holes in the tanks and then used tracer fire from machine guns to ignite the oil. I jumped out of bed and saw some of the green rounds passing over our garden. My dad ran in and grabbed me and rushed to the other end of the house where it was safer. It burned for 2 weeks and during the 1st few nights it almost turned night into day. This photo was taken later during the 2nd week.

Edited by PELHAM

To the topic question - no. And I don't think that will solve any problems between these countries either.

It's quite clear.......they won't be able to come through. They lack in almost every thing that's requisite for being able to survive in such a big situation.